PDA

View Full Version : Running Quicksand in 5e

Mith
2018-02-04, 07:43 PM
Hi Playground,

While converting an old module over, I am looking at how to run quicksand in 5e. An odfity in these rules is that Camels get a bonus to quicksand walking because of module design. I give them a +5 to Dex checks as they are able to keep themselves from sinking but have a harder time getting out.

My thoughts so far:

Make a DC 10 Dex saving throw every hour of travel through sand or every minute stopped. Every failed Dex save you sink by 1 foot, and the DC goes up by 1. At the end of every turn, you can make a STR check equal to your Dex save. If you succeed, you leverage yourself up 1 foot. An outside party can spend an action to assist you, giving the strongest member advantage on the check.

Groups pulling count as one member unit with a STR score equal to the sum of the members.

Large objects and creatures have a base DC of 15 +1 for every foot sunk. Objects without a dex score roll the Dex check at Disadvantage to stay afloat.

You sink in 3 increments according to how far under you are. This varies with height.

1) Below 1/4 height: 1/4 movement
2)Between 1/4 and 1/2 height: 0 movement
3) 1/2 - 2/3: Disadvantage on Dex checks
4) 2/3 - 3/4 Disadvantage on Str checks
5) Suffocating: Submerged, cannot sense except with tremorsense. Last 1+ CON mod rounds before suffocating.

I know this is likely a bit too complicated. I appreciate any thoughts to refine this.

Thank you for your thoughts

-Mith

Kane0
2018-02-04, 08:06 PM
How big a deal is the quicksand supposed to be? Is it like your average pit trap sort of importance or a major 'encounter'?

Off the top of my head, when you get yourself into a spot of quicksand you get a DC 13 dex save or get stuck, and need to make Str checks to get out. It starts out as DC 13 but increases to 15 then 17 if you fail them. If you fail the DC 17 you go under and need to be rescued somehow. Any PC that isn't stuck can provide help for advantage on the check.

Edit: If you want to be extra mean throw in some exhaustion, but be careful of the death spiral.

Mith
2018-02-04, 08:35 PM
This is Desert of Desolation from AD&D, so the map implies the entire 2 mile Hex. This is why I was doing a bit more fiddly, but more gradual slide.

For your idea, I might use that system and then treat it like a 50/50 every hour to make it worthwhile to mark on the map.

I think it is supposed to be a major encounter because AD&D is brutal like that at times, but I think this style of check makes an easier system to run.

I'll probably say that objects auto fail, and sink out of sight in 4 rounds. To be able to move an object, you have to be able to be able to drag that capacity. An overloaded wagon is likely mired, and you are best to unload the supplies while you can.

Kane0
2018-02-04, 09:03 PM
Sounds good, but id give it 1d6 or 1d10 mins for objects since they arent struggling and actively making it worse, plus you dont know exactly how long you have to save/salvage it

Mith
2018-02-04, 09:20 PM
Sounds good, but id give it 1d6 or 1d10 mins for objects since they arent struggling and actively making it worse, plus you dont know exactly how long you have to save/salvage it

I'll probably do 1d6 minutes, since the party is going to likely sink or swim in the first minute, as they sink at 10x the object rate.

Thanks for the help!