PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales Anyone else's dice play favorites?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-04, 08:58 PM
It seems my dice prefer my players to me. When I roll attack rolls or saving throws for NPC allies, they roll well. Like 16+. When I roll attacks or saving throws for enemies, they roll low. Like 10 or less. They also seem to have a sense of dramatic irony--if there's a low-probability but dramatically appropriate event possible, that's exactly where the dice will land. A 20 on a "you're going to have to roll a 20 for that" or a 1 when it means that the enemy does the best (ie most hilarious/most dramatically appropriate) thing possible.

Anyone else have dice with a mind of their own?

Wasteomana
2018-02-04, 09:33 PM
There is a long standing tradition of my dice being on fire. As a DM this basically means I don't play with a DM screen cause I don't want someone to think I hate them and I am just saying that I rolled 3 natural 20s on them in a row.

This eventually got so bad that players dubbed one of my dice the 'radioactive die' after it crit a rogue 5 times in a row. The stole the die and buried in the backyard, then they moved houses.

What I started doing was allowing them to choose their die for many of the big attack rolls. This die is called the 'burst die' and when I attack multiple PCs I hold out my hand to receive the die they have chosen to be the one that will be attacking them from their dice pool. I then roll all of them in the middle of the table and say "Ok, so that +26 vs Will" or similar. It has the players do the math (I'll say, 'but its +21 vs Samir due to superior cover') and also if their die betrays them, its their die not mine. I have had PCs who are especially wary of particular monster abilities go through some pretty elaborate means of cursing their die or 'rolling out the 20s' before they hand it to me.

Xuc Xac
2018-02-04, 10:08 PM
Didn't we just have a big "Confirmation Bias Dice Superstitions" thread?

Celestia
2018-02-04, 10:14 PM
My dice all roll better for everyone else than they do me. Except the d6s. Those are great. They're the only ones that don't betray me.

JNAProductions
2018-02-04, 10:21 PM
My 40k dice (I have 20 green ones) roll well for me, but how they roll for others varies. In general, if I'm winning and someone needs to borrow a few dice, they roll well my opponent, but if I'm losing, they roll poorly.

I treat them well, though, so, you know.

Lord Torath
2018-02-05, 09:18 AM
My d6s roll really well when I'm generating ability scores (I got 18,17,16,15,14, and 13 rolling in front of my DM), and generally (but not always) support me in 40k games, but they seem pretty determined to prevent me from choosing which table edge I set up on, and also making me go second. I get to choose table edge about 1 in 10 times, and get first turn with just about the same frequency.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-05, 10:53 AM
A friend of mine had a d20 he called his "die of pain," because it always conspired to screw him at the worst possible moment. Then one summer it got mixed up with my dice, and I wound up using it in an online campaign he was running. The die continued to cause him pain... by rolling really well against his monsters. I dunno what happened to the thing, but I hope he burned it.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-02-05, 04:53 PM
The dice have minds of their own.
They all do.
They're out to get you.
For instance, one die I have noticed (that I haven't told my players about... yet) is what I have dubbed, the three die.
It is the lucky die. It keeps getting seventeens, twenties, great roles!
AND THEN... the moment where you NEED this die to role high, you NEED a good role, and then... 3.
It's a three.

Telwar
2018-02-05, 08:39 PM
Way back in the day, in our 3.0 Birthright game, the priest/paladin's (huge...HUUUUUGE!) dice were so terrible, that we were in danger of wiping, because he literally couldn't hit anything. I finally had enough and gave him a bunch of my normal-sized d20s...and he proceeds to crit on the first roll. Huzzah!

Two weeks later, at the next session, two of the players nearly (jokingly) lynch me. The priest/paladin player's dice rolls with his HUUUUUGE dice were so bad, he always resorted to Big Bag of HP monsters that could last long enough to do some damage to the PCs on the occasional good roll. Then, he wound up with good dice, and that party (which I wasn't in) almost got wiped out.

Ironically, they were kind of okay for me when I used them. But for him, they were a vast improvement.

Amusingly, I had this set of nice dark green d20s that, when I was using them on my 4e Avenger, who was generally rolling twice to hit with a weapon that crit on a 19+, would STILL crit less than 5% of the time. It was, in fact, noticeable to the rest of the party.

I got new dice, and on my tiefling elemental sorcerer, proceeded to crit at the expected rate. It was glorious.

PhantasyPen
2018-02-05, 09:11 PM
I have two dice that I always roll for attack rolls, and when I roll them, they pretty much force me to rules lawyer every method I possibly can to get advantage/some form of multiple attacks on my rolls, because if I dare to roll those dice separately from one another, I will never roll higher than a 9. If I roll them together though? I rarely go below a 16. This was especially prominent when I played a dual-wielding rogue.