PDA

View Full Version : The Power Word Thread

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 09:34 PM
Got an idea for a "Power Word" spell? Post it here!

I'll start off.

Power Word Yawn
Enchantment (Compulsion) (Mind-Affecting)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to yawn uncontrollably for one round. The affected creature takes a -2 penalty to hit and armor class. There is also a 60% chance that any spell requiring a verbal component cast by the creature comes out garbled and fizzles.

Any creature that sees the affected creature yawn must make a Will save throw at a +4 bonus or fall under the same effect for a round.

Your turn. :smallsmile:

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-26, 09:58 PM
Power Word Snooze

You utter a word of power that instantly causes the target to fall asleep for 1 rnd. After this round of sleep, the target wakes invigorated, gaining a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, ability checks, weapon damage, saving throws, and skill checks for 1 minute.

Logic
2007-08-26, 10:00 PM
Got an idea for a "Power Word" spell? Post it here!

I'll start off.

Power Word Yawn

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to yawn uncontrollably for one round. The affected creature takes a -2 penalty to hit and armor class. There is also a 60% chance that any spell that the creature casts comes out garbled and fizzles.

Any creature that sees the affected creature yawn must make a Will save throw at a +4 bonus or fall under the same effect for a round.

Your turn. :smallsmile:
Add "...if the spell requires verbal components..." to the line in red, and the spell seems to work fine.

JellyPooga
2007-08-26, 10:35 PM
Power Word: Spell
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Lvl: 0

Effect: The target is forced (to at least attempt) to spell, out loud, the next word they hear. As talking is a free action, this has no in-game effect.

[edit:] Oh, I forgot;

Power Word: Thread
Lvl: 9
Duration: see text

Effect: The target imediately ceases any task it is currently doing, seeks out a needle and thread by whatever means neccesary and threads the needle. The target may perform no action that does not directly contribute towards finding and threading a needle. Once the needle is threaded, the spell ends, otherwise the effect is permanent. This spell may not be countered or the effect dispelled by any means.

Rockphed
2007-08-26, 10:44 PM
Power Word: Spell
Lvl: 0

Effect: The target is forced (to at least attempt) to spell, out loud, the next word they hear. As talking is a free action, this has no in-game effect.

What happens if the next thing they hear is "Power Word: kill"

JellyPooga
2007-08-26, 10:46 PM
What happens if the next thing they hear is "Power Word: kill"

They must spell "power"

Shifty
2007-08-26, 10:53 PM
They must spell "power"

They must spell power very quickly.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-26, 11:03 PM
Power Word Run
Duration: 1 round per caster level
Level: Sor/Wiz 2

The target of this spell must spend an action running on each of it's turns, and move the maximum amount it can. It does not have to run away, but it must run.

Ing
2007-08-26, 11:07 PM
Power Word Explosive Sonic Diarrhea
Enchantment (Compulsion)

Sorc/Wiz Lv 6
Target must make a will save or violently and instantly empty their bowels taking 3d6 con damage (Will save for half). Regardless the target's speed is reduced by half, and all surrounding must make a con save (18) or be sickened for 2d4 rounds.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 11:28 PM
Enchantment (Compulsion)

Sorc/Wiz Lv 6
Target must make a will save or violently and instantly empty their bowels taking 3d6 con damage (Will save for half). Regardless the target's speed is reduced by half, and all surrounding must make a con save (18) or be sickened for 2d4 rounds.

That is freaking SICK.

Ing
2007-08-27, 12:40 AM
That is freaking SICK.

I love Transmapolitian

Icewalker
2007-08-27, 01:56 AM
You aren't a nice person! Or at least, anybody who casts that spell certainly wouldn't be :smalleek: gack

Hmmmm Power Word spells...this is quite an easy genre of spell to come up with ideas for....I should get working.

Reinboom
2007-08-27, 04:56 AM
Power Word: Meow
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Sor/Wiz 2

All speech performed by the target comes out as Feline, the language of tibbits and catfolk, for the duration of this spell. The first spell they attempt to cast during the duration that requires verbal components fails unless they are able to speak feline in other manners such as by knowing the language or by means of the Tongues spell. This spell does not allow the target to comprehend feline, only speak it.
If this spell is cast on Caturday, for 24 hours after the spell ends the target must speak in broken, "cute", grammar such as "I can has spiked chain?" or "I'm in ur dungun, fireballin ur dudes."

Korias
2007-08-27, 07:53 AM
Power Word: Munch
Sorc/Wiz 4
Duration: 1d4 rounds
Components: Verbal (The saying of "MUNCH!")
Range: Within 50ft of caster.

Effect: Any creature within 50ft of the caster must pull out the nearest food item and eat it for 1d4 rounds. If the creature is something that would eat living beings, then it forgoes it for something dead.

UserClone
2007-08-27, 08:09 AM
@SweetRein: Yay, Tibbits!
@Ing: Explosive and Sonic are colorful adjectives, but shouldn't it just be "Power Word: Diarrhea?" After all, they are usually just one word.
Power word: Cross-eyed:
Causes the target to immediately go cross-eyed for 1 rd/lvl; the target automatically fails any spot check or attack roll made against anything to its front, but a +2 when spotting (but not attacking) to the side. For each round past the first, the target is nauseated.

Harold
2007-08-27, 10:31 AM
Power word: peanut butter jelly time
transmutation
level:bard 6 sor/wiz 8

this spell functions as otto's irresistible dance except the target must sing peanut butter jelly time for the duration of the spell.

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-27, 11:08 AM
Power Word: Sticky-ify
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice turn sticky. They are so sticky that every solid object they touch cannot come off. Any people you choose cannot be effected by this spell.

*shash* um... I think it's stuck...

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-08-27, 11:49 AM
@Ing: Explosive and Sonic are colorful adjectives, but shouldn't it just be "Power Word: Diarrhea?" After all, they are usually just one word.

realistically, yes, but without said adjectives, i don't think that spell would've terrified me to my very soul :eek:

Duke of URL
2007-08-27, 11:52 AM
Power Word Panic
Necromancy [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Area: One target
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The target, if it fails its Will save, becomes panicked for the spell's duration. Additionally, the target must also yell (if capable of speech) "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" for the entire duration.

Ing
2007-08-27, 12:35 PM
@SweetRein: Yay, Tibbits!
Power word: Cross-eyed:
Causes the target to immediately go cross-eyed for 1 rd/lvl; the target automatically fails any spot check or attack roll made against anything to its front, but a +2 when spotting (but not attacking) to the side. For each round past the first, the target is nauseated.

Ah my bad

Explosive Sonic is the upgraded version that deals sonic damage to those within 30 feet of the affected target

Maroon
2007-08-27, 12:45 PM
Power Word Sit
Level: Sor/Wiz ?
Components: V
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature with 200 hp or less
Saving Throw: None

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to sit down and not leave its spot until the spell ends, whether the creature can hear the word or not.

Power Word Heel
Target: One creature with 150 hp or less
Duration: See text

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to move towards you until they are adjacent, whether the creature can hear the word or not. The spell ends when the creature has reached you or when it has not detected you for 5 rounds or more, but is otherwise permanent.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-27, 12:50 PM
Power Word: Coffee-Break
Sor/Wiz 6
The spellcaster before you looks at you with a gleam in his eye, saying the word of power. Suddenly you feel the oddest compulsion to find a man named Timothy of Horton.

This spell forces the target to spend as long as necessary attempting to find the caster a fresh a cup of coffee.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-08-27, 01:18 PM
Power Word: Coffee-Break
Sor/Wiz 6
The spellcaster before you looks at you with a gleam in his eye, saying the word of power. Suddenly you feel the oddest compulsion to find a man named Timothy of Horton.

This spell forces the target to spend as long as necessary attempting to find the caster a fresh a cup of coffee.

Oh man, this one rocks. Only Canucks will get it thought.

Machete
2007-08-27, 02:09 PM
Power Word: Drink
Sor/Wiz 4
Upon being affected by Power Word: Drink the affected subject must drink any fluid offered to it or if none is offered then any liquid within reach in the next round.

Korias
2007-08-27, 02:20 PM
PowerWord: Hammertime!

Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Range: medium (50 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to 50 Creatures/Level.
Duration: 1 Minute/Level
Spell Resistance: No

Upon hearing the Word "HammerTime!", which is preceeded by the word "Stop;", All beings within 50ft+5ft every 2 caster levels is immediately compelled to dance, as otto's irresistible dance. They will dance the exact same dance as M.C. Hammer did in his video, lead by the caster.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 02:22 PM
Power Word Vogue
Duration: 1 min/level

You utter a single word of power "Vogue!" that causes one creature of your choice to strike glamorous looking poses for one minute per level.

Power Word Risk
Target: 2 - 6 creatures of 150 hp or less
Duration: 1d6 + 4 hours

You utter a single, terrible phrase of power: "Risk!" All affected creatures must immediatley gather around a map and bicker with eachother for the duration of the spell.

Redblade
2007-08-27, 02:44 PM
Power Word: Philosophy
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Target: All creatures in range with an INT of more then 2

Target immediately stops what ever they are doing, sits down, and ponders the meaning of life. The spell only ends when they have thought of it (DC 42 INT check). The caster them self however must make a will save (DC there caster level+ 10) or also come under the effect.

UserClone
2007-08-27, 03:01 PM
(DC 42 INT check)
Hahaha*LOVE* the Doug Adams-ness!

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 03:04 PM
Power Word Sing
Duration: See Spell Description

You utter a single word of power "Sing!" that causes one creature of your choice to burst into a song of their choice. They must sing the song beginning to end, mimicing any instrumental solo included in the legnth of the song.

Power Word Poke
Level: Sor/Wiz 0

You utter a single word of power "Poke!" that causes one creature of your choice to immediatley poke the creature standing nearest to it.

Power Word Python

You utter a single word of power "Cheese!" that causes two creatures of your choice to immediatley perform Monty Pythons "The Cheese Shop Sketch" beginning to end. (I view this spell as possible punishment for derailing games with Monty Python quotes...)

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-27, 03:36 PM
Power Word Pain
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Target: One creature under 100 hit points
Saving Throw: See text

You utter a single word of power that causes one enemy of your choice to feel immense pain. This pain does no lethal damage, but cripples your opponent to the point where they can no longer fight.
A successful Will Save causes the opponent to take only half damage and not take the other penalties.
Note: The opponent must have a discernable anatomy or be able to feel pain - oozes, constructs, undead, etc. are unaffected by this spell.
Note: Damage taken is cumulative, but the other penalties are not. (Example: 1st round is -1 to hit, 2nd round is -1 to hit and armor class, but it isn't a total of -2 to hit, it's still -1.)

1st round - (as soon as the spell is cast) 1d4 nonlethal damage, -1 to hit
2nd round - 1d6 nonlethal damage, -1 to hit and armor class
3rd round - 2d4 nonlethal damage, -2 to hit, -2 armor class, 5 points off of speed
4th round - 2d6 nonlethal damage, -4 to hit and armor class, 10 points off speed
5th round - 2d8 nonlethal damage, -4 armor class, immobilized and prone (not held, because they're writhing in pain, but basically the same effect
6th round - Pain fades, but also half of the damage taken is healed. (If the victim is still conscious.)

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 03:41 PM
Power Word Pain
Target: One creature under 100 hit points
Saving Throw: See text

You utter a single word of power that causes one enemy of your choice to feel immense pain. This pain does no lethal damage, but cripples your opponent to the point where they can no longer fight.
A successful Will Save causes the opponent to take only half damage and not take the other penalties.
Note: The opponent must have a discernable anatomy or be able to feel pain - oozes, constructs, undead, etc. are unaffected by this spell.
Note: Damage taken is cumulative, but the other penalties are not. (Example: 1st round is -1 to hit, 2nd round is -1 to hit and armor class, but it isn't a total of -2 to hit, it's still -1.)

1st round - (as soon as the spell is cast) 1d4 nonlethal damage, -1 to hit
2nd round - 1d6 nonlethal damage, -1 to hit and armor class
3rd round - 2d4 nonlethal damage, -2 to hit, -2 armor class, 5 points off of speed
4th round - 2d6 nonlethal damage, -4 to hit and armor class, 10 points off speed
5th round - 2d8 nonlethal damage, -4 armor class, immobilized and prone (not held, because they're writhing in pain, but basically the same effect
6th round - Pain fades, but also half of the damage taken is healed. (If the victim is still conscious.)

I think there already is a power word pain... how about power word Suffering?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-27, 04:44 PM
I think there already is a power word pain... how about power word Suffering?

Where was Power Word Pain? (I don't own much bonus material, and it's not in SRD.)

Zeta Kai
2007-08-27, 07:37 PM
Besides "Blind", "Kill", & "Stun", there are official published Power Word spells.

That said, Power Word Swear would an awesome way to force a socialite to yell profanities in public, ruining diplomatic interactions.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-27, 07:46 PM
Enchantment (Compulsion)

Sorc/Wiz Lv 6

Win. :smallbiggrin:

Power Word: Belch
Evocation (Gaseous)
Verbal, Somatic

Sorc/Wiz Lv 2, Beer 1
He let loose a satisfied belch, and the sounds of a chasm could be heard within the tavern as its patrons ran out in utter disgust...
With the opening of your mouth and the bulging of your throat, you emit a loud belch that affects all within a 15 ft. radius. All must make a Will save (DC: 12) or become disoriented for one round.

I doubt that's balanced enough...

AKA_Bait
2007-08-27, 08:41 PM
Where was Power Word Pain? (I don't own much bonus material, and it's not in SRD.)

It's in Races of the Dragon and utterly broken imho.

Win. :smallbiggrin:

Power Word: Belch
Evocation (Gaseous)
Verbal, Somatic

Sorc/Wiz Lv 2, Beer 1
He let loose a satisfied belch, and the sounds of a chasm could be heard within the tavern as its patrons ran out in utter disgust...
With the opening of your mouth and the bulging of your throat, you emit a loud belch that affects all within a 15 ft. radius. All must make a Will save (DC: 12) or become disoriented for one round.

I doubt that's balanced enough...

Hey, check it out, a spell I actually have! Probably should be level 2 with at 15 ft. Radius though. Maybe not considering the save doesn't scale. Sure you don't want it to be a fort save though? ;-)

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-27, 09:20 PM
Hey, check it out, a spell I actually have! Probably should be level 2 with at 15 ft. Radius though. Maybe not considering the save doesn't scale. Sure you don't want it to be a fort save though? ;-)

Um, where'd I take it from?? :smalleek:

The only reason why I made it Will instead of Fort is because I would figure Fortitude is more body related anyways. A belch by itself is more of a sonic wave, a noise to repel. Although by that logic, I should change some of the text around.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-27, 11:40 PM
It's in Races of the Dragon and utterly broken imho.

Ah, don't have that one. Imho... that's "in my honest opinion", right? So, when you don't say that, you AREN'T being honest? I mean, saying "in my HONEST opinion" doesn't change the fact that it's your opinion, unless you aren't usually honest.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-08-27, 11:58 PM
Power Word: Ni

Upon casting this spell, any time thereafter for the duration of the spell, any time you speak "Ni", any being you desire within radius will flinch, and will act as if they have made a standard action on their next turn.

Katasi
2007-08-28, 12:44 AM
Enchantment (Compulsion)

Sorc/Wiz Lv 6

All i can say is it definatly is a compulsion spell... I just read the name and was cumpulsed to out loud say "oh c**p". I'm not lying. I didn't even read any more than that and I had to say that and start laughing.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-28, 02:25 PM
Power Word: Ni

Upon casting this spell, any time thereafter for the duration of the spell, any time you speak "Ni", any being you desire within radius will flinch, and will act as if they have made a standard action on their next turn.

I never really found that part of the movie very funny. Good spell though.

Power Word Step
Enchantment (Mind-Affecting, Compulsion)
Duration: Instantaneous

You utter a single word of power that forces a single target of your choice to take a five-foot step. The caster chooses which direction the affected target moves. Excellent spell to use on narrow bridges and cliffs. :smallamused:
Alternatively, you can use it on allies to get them out of combat before they would normally be able to act.
Note: Forcing someone take a five-foot step with this spell takes up their five-foot step for their next round.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-28, 02:32 PM
Ah, don't have that one. Imho... that's "in my honest opinion", right? So, when you don't say that, you AREN'T being honest? I mean, saying "in my HONEST opinion" doesn't change the fact that it's your opinion, unless you aren't usually honest.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I always assumed that the 'h' stood for humble. That's because I'm usually an arrogant jerk. :smallamused:

blue_fenix
2007-08-28, 02:35 PM
Power Word: Mute
Sorc/Wiz 2
1 target per caster level in a 60 ft radius
Will negates
Each affected target must make a will save or be affected as if by a Silence spell centered on them with a radius of 5ft.

Power Word: Fail
Sorc/Wiz 1
1 target, medium range
Will negates
If target fails his will save, the next d20 he rolls becomes a natural 1.

Leliel
2007-08-28, 02:52 PM
Power Word: Borg
The target becomes a cyborg with +6 Intelligence +6 Strength -6 Charisma and Half-Construct Traits. In the case he becomes the Emotional type of cyborg, the target loses the Charisma penalty, but in times of self-doubt he must make a 15 DC Will save or become stationary for 2d6 rounds while he ponders the nature of his existence, and is constantly tracked by a megacorporation or governmental entity that wants its supersoldier back.

Lysander
2007-08-28, 02:58 PM
Power Word: Power Word
Sor/Wiz 9

The caster utters a word of power that forces everyone in earshot to shout the same exact word of power. Each word uttered works precisely like a level 9 spell, even if spoken by a non-spell caster, forcing all those who hear it to resist saying the same word of power, but except for the initial spell these subsequent Power Word: Power Words do not require the use of spell slots. Everyone must make a seperate will save against each instance they hear the word in a round, including their own. Until they manage to pass every will save they must keep saying the word again and again. You can freely move while affected so you can move out of earshot from other people in order to only have to resist your own castings. The spell forces you to utter the word as the next thing you say so while affected you cannot say anything except the Power Word over and over and over.

Wraithy
2007-08-28, 03:11 PM
Power Word Hokey-Kokey
Target: One creature under 150 hit points
Saving Throw: Will

the target of this spell begins doing the hokey-kokey, they cannot perform any functions except for the hokey-kokey (including singing), any creature within earshot of the origional target must make the spells will save (+ the charisma modifier of the target), or also become afflicted with the hokey-kokey untill the origional target stops.

under 50 hit points: 1D6 minutes
51-100 hit points: 1D4 minutes
101-150 hit points: 1D2 minutes

Toric
2007-08-29, 09:04 PM
Power Word: Power Word
Sor/Wiz 9

The caster utters a word of power that forces everyone in earshot to shout the same exact word of power. Each word uttered works precisely like a level 9 spell, even if spoken by a non-spell caster, forcing all those who hear it to resist saying the same word of power, but except for the initial spell these subsequent Power Word: Power Words do not require the use of spell slots. Everyone must make a seperate will save against each instance they hear the word in a round, including their own. Until they manage to pass every will save they must keep saying the word again and again. You can freely move while affected so you can move out of earshot from other people in order to only have to resist your own castings. The spell forces you to utter the word as the next thing you say so while affected you cannot say anything except the Power Word over and over and over.
Oh, you could have fun with this. The Beaker Effect: use the word "Meep!" The Monty Python: use the word "Ni!" Attack of the Ben Stein clones: "Bueller!" And just to drive everyone mad, "Antidisestablishmentarianism!"

Power Word: Michigan
Level: Sor/Wiz/Bard 0
Component: V
Casting time: 1 Swift Action
Range: Medium
Target: One amphibian under 50 hp
Duration: 30 Seconds (D)
Saving throw: Will (harmless)
Spell resistance: No

"It's a dancing frog, I tell ya! A dancing frog!" The man seemed mad, running around with his box and telling anyone who would hear him about what was just an ordinary frog. He never saw the small figure shadowing him, trying its hardest not to fall over laughing.

When this Power Word is uttered, a top-hat and cane materialize next to the target amphibian, who takes them, stands on hind legs, and begins a song and dance routine. This random song continues until the spell ends, at which point the hat and cane disappear, and the amphibian resumes being a normal amphibian. Many a scheming mage has silenced this spell to play around with unwitting commoners who think they have stumbled upon a magical creature.

Hunter Noventa
2007-08-29, 11:44 PM
Power Word : Macross
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Component: V, S, F
Casting time: 1 Full Round Action
Range: 500ft
Target: 500ft long, 25ft wide line
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving throw: Reflex Half

The Wizard grumbled and pulled a small metallic figurine out of a pouch. It looked some some sort of bizarre angular boat until he started to manipulate it. Then it took the form of a miniature armored colussus with two massive pillars on it's shoulders. From them issued forth a beam of destruction, leaving nothing left in it's wake.

The caster pulls out a proper figurine as a focus (A specially crafted 5000gp mithril one at that) And aims it int he direction of what he needs to destroy. Everything within the area of effect takes 25d8 force damage. Objects are affected as if by a Disintegrate spell.

paddyfool
2007-08-30, 07:11 AM
Power word: Checkmate!
Level: Sor/Wiz/Bard ?
Target: One sentient opponent
Spell resistance: Yes

Make a single opponent believe themselves defeated, and cause them to surrender, lay down their weapons, and allow you to tie them up etc.; on becoming aware of the effect, they may attempt to resume combat, but by that time it may well be too late. The spell effect is dismissed if you try to flee from the combat. (I was going to call it Mate, but some of you have filthy, filthy minds).

Power word: Tidy!
Target: One opponent
Duration: 5 minutes/level

Causes a single opponent to obsessively tidy up everything and anything around them, including adjusting your robes for you etc.

Power word: Fight!
Target: One opponent

Instantly provokes the target to engage the person they are currently facing in combat.

Wardog
2007-08-30, 03:33 PM
Power Word: Win
You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to automatically roll a natural 20 on its next roll, provided it makes the roll in its next round.

Power Word: Duck!
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to drop prone, gaining appropriate AV bonuses vs ranged attacks.

Power Word: Pwned!
You utter a single word of power that instantly pwns one creature of your choice, whether the creature can hear the word or not.

Power Word: InstaGib
You utter a single word of power that instantly gibs one creature of your choice, whether the creature can hear the word or not.

Power Word: ROFLMAO
You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to roll on the floor, laughing its arse off.

Power Word: Suck
You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to suck (-10 penalty on all rolls), whether the creature can hear the word or not. The duration of the spell depends on the target’s current hit point total.

Power Word: N00b
You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to become a complete N00b. The effect is similar to that of Power Word: Suck, but with double the penalty to all Int, Wis and Cha based skills or abilities.

DracoDei
2007-08-30, 05:03 PM
Power word: Checkmate!
<Snip>
<Snip>

Power word: Tidy!
<Snip>
<Snip>

Power word: Fight!
<Snip>
<Snip>

In what sense of the word do you beleive these effects to be "Harmless"? (probably a typo or something I realize).
Now... for Tidy I could see a Douglas Adams reference of listing it as "Mostly Harmless"?

Sir Conkey
2007-08-30, 06:08 PM
Power Word Python

You utter a single word of power "Cheese!" that causes two creatures of your choice to immediatley perform Monty Pythons "The Cheese Shop Sketch" beginning to end. (I view this spell as possible punishment for derailing games with Monty Python quotes...)

Now does this include the shooting at the end, because then it is somewhat more lethal

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-01, 07:56 PM
Hmm... you know, in WoW, Priests get a couple power word spells.

So here are some power words for clerics, inspired by WoW.

Power Word Healing
Level: Cleric 2, see text
Casting time: 1 standard action
Target: One ally
Duration: Instant
Saving throw: n/a

The cleric utters a single word of power that heals a target of the cleric's choice. The healing is equal to one spell level lower than the highest level "cure" spell the cleric can cast.
Example: A cleric who is capable of casting Cure Serious Wounds would heal an amount equal to Cure Moderate Wounds for the purposes of this spell.

Could only do one for now. :)

DracoDei
2008-03-24, 03:45 PM
Power Word Poke
<Snip>
You utter a single word of power "Poke!" that causes one creature of your choice to immediatley poke the creature standing nearest to it.

So this is True Strike for melee touch spells that can be applied to other people, or force enemy casters holding a charge who haven't closed range to target their allies (and automatically hit them?). Put an attack roll on this thing and/or bump it up a level or two...

D_Lord
2008-03-24, 04:35 PM
Power Word Oblivition:
Level 12, sor, wiz
Target: One creature with 250 hp or less
Saving throw: Will
Destories creature forever, like the effect of a Sphere of Annihilation.

Pie Guy
2008-03-24, 05:13 PM
Power word ****
Wiz/Sorc 9
other
stuff
that
goes
here

Everyone in the world ****s the closest being, alive or dead, until the next sunrise. Or if the sun has gone out, they're screwed forever.

Gamebreaking? yes. Regrettable? Do you have to ask?

JackTR69
2008-03-24, 05:48 PM
Power Word: Antidisestablishmentarianism
Level 6, sor, wiz
Target: Everything in hearing range
Saving throw: Will
The effected characters immediately become opposed to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

(Quoted from dictionary.com)

SilentNight
2008-03-24, 06:28 PM
Power word:Cheese
Sor/ Wiz: ?
The caster spontaneously morphs into Pun-Pun and is summarily strangled by the DM.
Warning: Use only if suicidal or extremely bored.

Power word:Paradox
Sor/Wiz 9
Target: any creature with a language.

The caster thinks of a paradox question or other such device like the archer's paradox, the missing dollar riddle or the demon one.( A powerful demon appears before you and says that it will grant you three wishes. Your first wish is that your first wish not be granted. Can the demon grant this wish?) The target then starts to puzzle the chosen statement and has to make a will save every round to continue. The creature may use it's intelligence bonus rather than its wisdom bonus if higher. Once a creature fails a save its head explodes from the sheer madness of its endeavor. The spell ends when the creature fails a save or somehow solves the unsolvable.

Frosty
2008-03-24, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised no one has tried to create something like this :smalltongue: :

Power Word: Earth-shattering-Orgasm
Level 9, sor, wiz, beguiler
Component: V, M, F
Target: 1 creature/2 caster level, no two more than 60ft apart
Duration: 1 round/caster level
Saving throw: None

Creatures with 200 or less current HP fall to the ground, stunned and twitching (dropping everything as well) as they go into their own little world of pure estacy and pleasure. They are not helpless, but hitting them won't break them out of their reverie. They do count as Flat-Footed.

Focus: A sex toy of some sort.

SilentNight
2008-03-24, 07:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has tried to create something like this :smalltongue: :

Power Word: Earth-shattering-Orgasm
Level 9, sor, wiz, beguiler
Component: V, M, F
Target: 1 creature/2 caster level, no two more than 60ft apart
Saving throw: None

Creatures with 200 or less current HP fall to the ground, stunned and twitching (dropping everything as well) as they go into their own little world of pure estacy and pleasure. They are not helpless, but hitting them won't break them out of their reverie. They do count as Flat-Footed.

Focus: A sex toy of some sort.

Nara's sensual spells. This forum, can't miss it.

Demented
2008-03-24, 07:45 PM
Power Word Grief
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to attack his nearest teammate's Town Hall, whether the creature can hear the word or not.

Power Word Grieve
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to become filled with intense feelings of sorrow and loss, whether the creature can hear the word or not. Any creature that currently has 101 or more hitpoints is unaffected by Power Word Grieve.

Power Word Weal
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to act as if they were under a Charm Monster effect cast by themselves, whether the creature can hear the word or not. Any action that the creature considers making will be perceived by that creature in the most favorable way.

Power Word Woe
You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to believe any action it makes will inevitably and immediately result in personal disaster, whether the creature can hear the word or not. Any action that the creature considers making will be perceived by that creature in the worst possible way.

Stiz
2008-03-24, 08:27 PM
I was waiting for that one too Frosty.... Good call.

But what about Power word: Bate

Never seen a knight get out of his armor that fast before!!!!

Xyk
2008-03-25, 09:31 PM
Power Word Forget
level 6

the subject forgets any and all spells prepared for the day, which day it is, which side of combat he/she is on, and everything that happened in the last hour per caster level.

Magnor Criol
2008-03-25, 09:38 PM
Power Word Forget
level 6

the subject forgets any and all spells prepared for the day, which day it is, which side of combat he/she is on, and everything that happened in the last hour per caster level.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's way more powerful than a level 6 spell.

Jukashi
2008-03-25, 10:04 PM
Power Word: Rock!
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Bard 4
Target: 1 creature with at least 2 arms
Saving throw: Will negates

A target which fails its will save against this spell is forced to begin vigorously playing air guitar. Items held in their hands are either dropped or, in the case of suitably guitar-like objects such as swords, used as props. They lose AC bonus from shields, become incapable of any attacks normally made with the use of their arms and cannot cast any spell with a somatic component.

Bards, along with any creature with at least 1 rank in Perform (guitar), are immune to this spell. They may choose to obey it though, in which case they may pull out their real guitars and will gain a +4 bonus if they make a Perform (guitar) roll within the duration time of the spell.

Shraik
2008-03-25, 10:48 PM
Power Word: Abuse
Wiz/sorc 5

When the Caster speaks the word of power, the target must make a will save or do the most random thing the DM can think of too the nearest stranger. For example, he may slap the person in the face, defecate on their shoes, or simply put a snake down their pants. The Caster may make a save to choose the effect themselves, but it cannot be anything that forces the target to kill themselves, but the DM still chooses which person the target torments. The tormented person may be a small animal.

BRC
2008-03-25, 10:50 PM
Power Word Dibs!
This spell wards an object that the caster intends to own. All those besides the caster who try to take the object must succeed on a will save to do so.

Icewalker
2008-03-25, 11:58 PM
Power Word: Fireball?

Bhu
2008-03-26, 02:35 AM
Power Word: Meow
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Sor/Wiz 2

All speech performed by the target comes out as Feline, the language of tibbits and catfolk, for the duration of this spell. The first spell they attempt to cast during the duration that requires verbal components fails unless they are able to speak feline in other manners such as by knowing the language or by means of the Tongues spell. This spell does not allow the target to comprehend feline, only speak it.
If this spell is cast on Caturday, for 24 hours after the spell ends the target must speak in broken, "cute", grammar such as "I can has spiked chain?" or "I'm in ur dungun, fireballin ur dudes."

You are like unto a gawd! :D

arkanis
2008-03-26, 12:06 PM
"Oh yeah? Well f*ck you!"

Power Word F*cked
Level: 8 Clrc, Sor/Wiz
Duration: 1 round/level and permanent (see text)
Targeted creature becomes affected by one random effects from the following list for the duration until the final round where the creature is affected by a baleful polymorph (sorc/wiz) or greater curse (clrc):
1: nauseated
2: irresistable dance (as the spell but for only 1 round)
3: confused (as the spell but for only 1 round)
4: stunned
5: blinded and deafened
6: hideous laughter (as the spell but for only 1 round)

Rockphed
2008-03-26, 05:08 PM
Power Word Dibs!
This spell wards an object that the caster intends to own. All those besides the caster who try to take the object must succeed on a will save to do so.

What Level is this spell?

Kami2awa
2008-03-26, 05:39 PM
Power Word: SPARTA!!!

Summons an Warrior of level equal to the caster armed with a +3 spear, +4 shield and +3 short sword. The warrior has +8 Natural AC despite being unarmoured due to sheer toughness. He fights or acts as the caster desires, and shouts a lot.

Power Word: EXTERMINATE!!!

The caster shoots a greenish ray that is identical in effect to the Disintegrate spell. This spell cannot be cast while the caster is standing on a staircase.

Bhu
2008-03-28, 02:09 AM
Power Word: Bowel Implosion

hehehehehehehehehhe

Level20Commoner
2008-03-29, 05:33 AM
Power Word: Kneel
Level: Cleric 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Target: One creature with 100 hp or less

You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to kneel at your feet, whether the creature can hear the word or not. The creature can perform no actions (not even purely mental actions), but any activity undertaken in the presence of the creature which is immediately threatening to it ends the spell.

JackTR69
2008-03-29, 07:18 AM
Anyone ever thought of making epic level power phrase spells?

Power phrase: "It's a trap!"
Power phrase: "Oh sh*t."

Sound like a good idea?

Bhu
2008-03-30, 02:48 AM
Power Word: Shrinking Pants

SilentNight
2008-03-30, 05:45 PM
Power Word: Trip
level: Sor/Wiz?
Duration: eight hours?

The target immediately becomes fascinated with some aspect of their hands and immediately drop all items in order to better examine them. The aspect may be something such as the size, shape, the fact that there are two of them, or that they are suddenly green.

Power Word:Awwwwwww
level :sor/wiz 3
The subject sees some creature near them transform into the cutest kitten in the world. They immediately move next to it an continuously murmur "awwwww". The spell ends when something cuter comes along, the creature moves away from the subject, or the creature dies.

Scatman
2008-03-30, 07:07 PM
Power Word OBJECTION
Cleric (Law Domain) 8

The caster shouts "OBJECTION!" extremely loud, causing 30d6 sonic damage to Lawful beings, 15d6 to chaotic beings, and 20d6 to nuetral beings. Any forces of law or authority collapse and take twice the damage.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-30, 08:07 PM
Power Word: Discworld!
Universal
Sor/Wiz 9, Arc 9, Bard 9
Casting Time: One Full Round Action
Range: Personal
Target: Yourself
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: No

The caster Immediately becomes Genre Savvy and starts noticing all Tabletop RPG tropes he sees or experiences. When faced with a cliché interpretation of a trope, the Caster's spells are automatically maximized, empowered, persisted, and quickened, when applicable.

Power Word: Gilgamesh!
Universal
Sor/Wiz 9, Bard 9
Range: One unoccupied square 5' away from the caster
Target: Unnocupied square
Duration: 1 day/level

The caster summons the Ur-hero and patron god of all adventurers everywhere, a rank 40 deity. The deity causes everyone to make a DC 40+Caster's casting stat Will Save or die of Awe/Fear, The deity then sets off to accomplish some great quest until the spell ends, at which point he returns to his plane.

Power Word: Music!
Universal
Bard 9
Target: One Creature
Duration: See below

The caster forces one creature to Perform a Legendary song as appropiate for the occasion (For example, if the target was attempting to express his or her love for his or her significant other, he/she may sing Sweet Child o' Mine). The target spawns clones, each of them carrying one instrument necessary to perform the song. The target iself gets a Masterwork instrument, or his or her voice becomes one. The target gains temporary ranks in Perform equal to your caster level + your CHA. The effect lasts until the song is completed.

ikrase
2008-03-31, 06:33 PM
Power Word Swear
Compulsion
lvl 6
The affected individual will procede to swear with whatever rude words he knows for 1 round per level. This causes -4 to listen, +2 to intimidate, -4 to Diplomacy, and -1 to AC and attack.

AngelForm
2008-04-21, 04:23 PM
I know i will get in trouble for this but i could not resist :smallbiggrin:

Power Word: Blonde
Transmutation
Bard 3 Sor/Wiz 3 See below
Casting Time: One standard action
Target: One Creature
Duration: See below

You utter a single word of power that instantly causes one creature of your choice to become Blonde, whether the creature can hear the word or not. The targets hair (or if target has none horns, crest, ets or even just skin / scales) changes to a blonde color, they lose 2 wis and 2 int but gain 4 cha they also gain a +2 on Bluff, Diplomacy and Gather information checks.
Until the spell ends the effect cannot be removed by anything weaker than a limited wish.

The spell lasts for 1 min/level however if cast as a 4 level spell lasts for 1 hour/level, if cast as a 5 level spell lasts for 1 day/level and all numbers are doubled.

Scholars have been studying this spell for hundreds of years, no one knows how or why it was created or even if it was designed to be cast on allies or enemies!

Obscurejones
2008-04-21, 07:50 PM
Right...

Not to disparage the majority of the spells in this thread but don't power word spells by definition effect targets based on Hp totals and not allow saving throws? :smallfrown:

arkanis
2008-04-21, 09:25 PM
Power Word: Power
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Target: Self
Range: Personal
Upon uttering the word of power a bolt of lighting strikes the caster and they instantly gain a +8 enhancement bonus to all their ability scores, grow one size category, gain damage reduction 10/-, fast healing 5, spell resistance 25, and a +4 bonus to their effective level for the purpose of all their class abilities and spells (this doesn't increase HD, saves, BAB, or skill points).
Because of the immense amount of power, the caster glows and crackles with light and energy as if they had the Light spell cast upon them. Any creature coming within 5ft. of the caster takes 1d3 points of magical damage (Fort DC15 for half) from the loose energy.
After the duration of this spell, the caster becomes fatigued.

Power Word: Comedy
Can also be called any of the following: Laugh/LOL
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Radius: 25ft. + 5ft./level
Duration: 1 round./level
This works just like Hideous Laughter except it affects all creatures within its radius emanating around the caster. Music begins playing throughout the radius. Any creature caught in the radius during its duration must make the save against this spell every round they remain in the radius or fall victim to its effects for the remainder of the duration.

Power Word: Dance
Can also be called any of the following: Macarena/Boogy/Disco
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Radius: 25ft. + 5ft./level
Duration: 1 round./level
This works just like Irresistable Dance except it affects all creatures within its radius emanating around the caster. Music begins playing throughout the radius. Any creature caught in the radius during its duration must make the save against this spell every round they remain in the radius or fall victim to its effects for the remainder of the duration.

Power Word: Noise
Level: Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Radius: 100ft. + 20ft./level
Effect: Emanation from the caster
This deals 5d6 Sonic damage to everyone and everything in its radius (except the caster). Also, all objects and constructs fall under the effects of the Shatter spell in this radius while all living creatures fall under the effects of the Deafness spell. All saves go off the save DC of this spell.
The caster screams a terrible roar unleashing a wave of invisible sonic energy which bursts in an incredible explosive bubble surrounding the caster and shattering everything around them.

Power Word: Quake
Radius: 100ft. + 20ft./level
This works just like the Earthquake spell except that it lasts several rounds and has a larger radius.

Power Word: Tsunami
Radius: 100ft. + 20ft./level, Height: 25ft. + 5ft./level
Range: 400ft. + 80ft./level
This calls forth a wave of water dealing 20d6 bludeoning damage to everything in its radius and pushes everything in one direction which the caster selects. The water pushes all creatures with the strength of a tornado and creatures must make Fortitude saves to resist or be checked, pushed back, or possibly blown away.

Maerok
2008-04-21, 09:31 PM
Enchantment (Compulsion)

Sorc/Wiz Lv 6

One of the many spells to not cast on a red great wyrm.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 01:40 PM
Power Word Snackage

Target's Spleen Dissapears And Caster Gets A Box Of Kobold Munchies

Katasi
2008-05-14, 02:25 AM
Power Word: Duck!!!
Level 9

Causes the caster to fall prone and an enemy up to 10 feet in front of him to turn around and immediately get hit in the head with something lethal, no save.

doublefine
2008-05-14, 07:49 AM
One we used to use in an old gaming group.

Power Word: Synopsis
Everyone within hearing distance is immediately aware of any events that the caster was present for/aware of during a recent absence (i.e. party split, scouting mission, etc).

Obscurejones
2008-05-14, 08:55 PM
I tried to be nice but this bugging me.

THE POINT OF POWER WORD SPELLS IS THAT THEY DEAL WITH HP AND NOT SAVING THROWS.

Also they tend to be an instantaneous effect. So enough with this duration so many rounds and saving throw stuff. Those are interesting spells, GOOD spells, but they are not Power Word Spells. It's like saying that fireball is a divination effect. Sure you might like calling it a divination effect but by virtue of definitions it's just not the case.

Again no one is being attacked by this. I only intend to educate.

Flickerdart
2008-05-14, 09:37 PM
Power Word: Thread?

If the targeted area contains creatures with total HD 100 or less, they become compelled to argue with one another as per a Suggestion of equal level to the caster's. While they do so, they cannot take any other actions and consider each other hostile creatures.

Hylleddin
2008-05-15, 09:48 PM
Also they tend to be an instantaneous effect. So enough with this duration so many rounds and saving throw stuff. Those are interesting spells, GOOD spells, but they are not Power Word Spells. It's like saying that fireball is a divination effect. Sure you might like calling it a divination effect but by virtue of definitions it's just not the case.

Actually, both Blind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordBlind.htm) and Stun (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordStun.htm) have durations. The only core instantaneous word is Kill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/powerWordKill.htm).

Power Word: Bleed
Necromancy
Level: ?
Target: 1 creature negative hit points
Duration: instantaneous
Saving Throw: none

You utter a single word of power that causes the target to become dying. The target cannot stabilize until it receives magical healing or a remove curse spell.

Power Word Sit
Target: One creature with 200 hp or less

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to sit down and not leave its spot until the spell ends, whether the creature can hear the word or not.

Power Word Heel

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature of your choice to move towards you until they are adjacent, whether the creature can hear the word or not. The spell ends when the creature has reached you or when it has not detected you for 5 rounds or more, but is otherwise permanent.

On that note,

Power Word: Beg
Target: 1 creature with 150 hp or less or 1 animal with 200 hp or less

You utter a single word of power that causes the target to begin pleading for snacks. For the duration of the spell, the target cannot perform any action that requires intelligible speaking, such as casting a spell with a verbal component. This effect lasts 4d4 rounds if the target has less then 50 hp, 2d4 rounds if they have 51 to 100 hp, or 1d4 rounds if they have 101 to 150 hp. This spell affects animals as if they had 50 less hit points. At the end of the duration a small dog treat appears near the target.

Power Word: Roll Over
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Target: 1 creature with 100 hp or less or 1 animal with 150 hp or less
Duration: instantaneous

You utter two words of power that cause the target to immediately fall prone and move 5 feet in a direction of its choice.

Power Word: Stay
Target: 1 creature with 150 hp or less or 1 animal with 200 hp or less

You utter a single word of power that prevents the target from willfully moving from their current location. They can otherwise act normally. The spell breaks if the target is forcibly moved. This effect lasts 4d4 rounds if the target has less then 50 hp, 2d4 rounds if they have 51 to 100 hp, or 1d4 rounds if they have 101 to 150 hp. This spell affects animals as if they had 50 less hit points.

Power Word: Play Dead
Necromancy [Death]
Target: 1 creature

You utter two words of power that cause the target to immediately fall limp. They are unable to act for the duration of the spell. The target appears dead to all mundane and magical methods of determination, including deathwatch. This effect lasts 4d4 rounds if the target has less then 50 hp, 2d4 rounds if they have 51 to 100 hp, or 1d4 rounds if they have 101 to 150 hp. This spell affects animals as if they had 50 less hit points. The target may choose to be affected by the spell, regardless of hit points. If they do, the effect lasts 4d4 hours, or 1d4 days if the target is an animal.