PDA

View Full Version : What are the best character moments you've memorialized mechanically?

SangoProduction
2018-02-05, 01:48 AM
Or moments that you saw get done mechanically. Just bits of stuff offered as a reward for being creative and out of the box in game, that goes beyond the typical rule set.

One that I'll mention from a pokemon game I ran, one of my players went to wrestle the massless gas of whirling blades (a glitch demon) in to a capture capsule, after a fight that was taking a toll on the team psychic.

"...Uh... You are going to...wrestle it in to submission?" After confirmation, "Well, sure. Go ahead and try you'll need at least a natural 18." As goes all such stories, he crits it with a 20. After all, if he didn't, you wouldn't be hearing about it.

Know what? It was such a long shot, and he maxed the roll. "The demon collapses in to the form of a pokemon as you shove it in to the device. Oh, and when that's done, you come to a realization that you wrestled a ghost thing. Apparently you could do it all along."

Never came up again, but from that point onward, he had "Ghost Wrangler" on his sheet...and a rebellious flying scorpion (that last bit came up quite often).

skunk3
2018-02-05, 03:02 AM
Ew. Pokemon. :sigh:

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-05, 03:46 AM
Had to be when I ran a campaign where in the beginning the party decided to hunting for a fight, well back then I used a really horrible lunch check table, and the party ended up fighting like 8 dire wolves at level 2.. needless to say the party ran, well the party was riding in a wagon and attacking the wolves as they came after the cart. One guy had a brilliant idea (I didn't think so, but boy was I wrong) to lay out his to bags of caltrops behind the wagon. Now caltrops normally only work in 1 square and they make an attack against anything that enters that square. So after a bit of debating we decided that over multiple squares it will just have drastically reduced attack. Well the guy wasn't actually part of the debate cause he was out smoking. When he came back I had him roll for the attack telling him that it was basically going to be impossible... Well I was wrong because he proceeded to roll 20s on every wolf that stepped into caltrop spaces. I know the die isn't rigged cause he still uses it and rolls a lot of different numbers with it. And I also saw every roll with the wolves.