PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What is the weight of a Polymorphed creature with nonfunctional gear?

Endarire
2018-02-05, 01:59 AM
Greetings, all!

Let's assume I polymorph a Human Cleric in Full Plate (normally weighing hundreds of pounds) into a Tiny bird (a hawk or such) that, when naked, normally weighs a few pounds.

What is the weight of a Polymorphed creature with nonfunctional gear?

Morcleon
2018-02-05, 02:04 AM
Whatever the weight of the bird is, assuming the gear all melds in.

Yahzi
2018-02-05, 02:59 AM
a Tiny bird (a hawk or such)
Did you just ask, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? :smallbiggrin:

I am pretty sure by RAW a polymorphed creature weighs whatever it weighs; the equipment on the body of the original creature, like the body itself, is irrelevant.

Endarire
2018-02-05, 04:09 AM
I effectively asked, "What is the airspeed of an unladed swallow?" but could not find a rules-backed answer. ("African" and "European" are invalid answers.)

Celestia
2018-02-05, 08:41 AM
So far as I can tell, there are no specific stats for a swallow. However, there is precedent for using existing stat blocks for similar creatures (such as hawk/eagle being the same). Thus, we can look at the stats for a raven and find the speed of a swallow is 40 ft in game terms. Converting that into more common terms, a swallow flies at a velocity of roughly 20 mph, assuming a double move, or 40 mph if "running." Since the default stat block does not include any equipment, it is already unladen, and no further math is required.

Calthropstu
2018-02-05, 09:30 AM
So far as I can tell, there are no specific stats for a swallow. However, there is precedent for using existing stat blocks for similar creatures (such as hawk/eagle being the same). Thus, we can look at the stats for a raven and find the speed of a swallow is 40 ft in game terms. Converting that into more common terms, a swallow flies at a velocity of roughly 20 mph, assuming a double move, or 40 mph if "running." Since the default stat block does not include any equipment, it is already unladen, and no further math is required.

Laden would be with a medium or heavy load so you are correct. The real question is whether it can carry a coconut. And RAW, I believe it can.

Celestia
2018-02-05, 11:46 AM
Laden would be with a medium or heavy load so you are correct. The real question is whether it can carry a coconut. And RAW, I believe it can.
A swallow, using raven stats, is tiny and has a strength score of 1. That means its light load is 1 1/2 lbs. The average coconut weighs about 3 lbs. A swallow cannot maintain flight while carrying a coconut unless it wears a belt of giant strength +4 (or higher).

Endarire
2018-02-05, 06:45 PM
Alter self explicitly states gear worn normally drops to the ground at the subject's feet or melds into its form and becomes nonfunctional. What happens to the weight is still a GM call.

Cruiser1
2018-02-05, 08:08 PM
the speed of a swallow is 40 ft in game terms. Converting that into more common terms, a swallow flies at a velocity of roughly 20 mph, assuming a double move, or 40 mph if "running."
Good, but the math is a little off: Given a speed of 40 ft per 6 seconds, multiply by 60x60 to get speed per hour, then divide by 5280 ft/mi to get miles per hour, with the result being 4.5 mph (9.1 mph doing a double move, or 18.2 mph when running). In general, 11% of your round speed is your speed in mph (e.g. 40 -> 4.5).

Celestia
2018-02-05, 08:36 PM
Good, but the math is a little off: Given a speed of 40 ft per 6 seconds, multiply by 60x60 to get speed per hour, then divide by 5280 ft/mi to get miles per hour, with the result being 4.5 mph (9.1 mph doing a double move, or 18.2 mph when running). In general, 11% of your round speed is your speed in mph (e.g. 40 -> 4.5).
You're right. I have no idea what I was doing or how I even came up with that number. Though, ironically, my result is actually closer to real life. I guess that's D&D for you. :smalltongue:

Remuko
2018-02-05, 11:44 PM
You're right. I have no idea what I was doing or how I even came up with that number. Though, ironically, my result is actually closer to real life. I guess that's D&D for you. :smalltongue:

maybe the birds irl all have the run feat? /s

Celestia
2018-02-06, 03:47 AM
maybe the birds irl all have the run feat? /s
European swallows have a standard cruising velocity (double move) of around 24 mph. If they push (run), they can get up to around 31 mph. The run feat isn't enough.

Remuko
2018-02-06, 03:05 PM
European swallows have a standard cruising velocity (double move) of around 24 mph. If they push (run), they can get up to around 31 mph. The run feat isn't enough.

damn, I tried.

Jowgen
2018-02-06, 03:45 PM
I think we're using the wrong base here. According to SRD a Hawk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hawk.htm) has a fly speed of 60 ft. An Eagle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/eagle.htm) has 80 ft. Might be small rather than Tiny, but could also be considered an apt analogy. Going with the Hawk because OP specifies Tiny. It has a IRL cruising speed of up to 40 mph.

60 ft x 10 x 60 = 36000 ft, or in D&D terms, where a mile is actually rounded down to 5000 ft (maybe to account for the diagonal movement penalty?), we get 7.2 miles. It's RAW, but too slow. Now for overland flight speed, going by the Overland Flight spell, a flying creature can hustle without penalty for long-distance travel, and I think that benefit is fair to apply to naturally flying birds (manoeuvring with air currents and such). So we double to 14.2 miles.

Considering that all birds have a flight speed of at least 20 mph (not even the Eagle can go over that), we can safely assume that D&D birds are just made of less sturdy stuff than their IRL buddies.

darkela5
2018-02-06, 04:03 PM
I would say it would have the same weight a normal bird. Aka your armor becomes your feather. In case of a shifting full plate i would apply the malus for wearing heavy armor.
Added bonus:https://i.redd.it/8z3gj46nkne01.png