PDA

View Full Version : Orcish Fury Feat Ruling Needed

Clone
2018-02-05, 10:42 AM
Hey all,

Recently I was in a discussion with a friend regarding Orcish Fury, the Half-Orc racial feat from Xanathar's.
Specifically relating to the second part of the feat:

"When you hit with an attack using a simple or martial weapon, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice an additional time and add it as extra damage of the weapon's damage type.
Once you use this ability, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest."

My thoughts were that since you were not rerolling any dice but rather rolling an addition weapon damage die, this would allow you to double the damage on a crit.
Since the prerequisite is to hit, similar to a paladin smite, rather than to crit, like the Half-Orc racial Savage Attacks.

His argument was that since you are rolling one of the weapon damage die an additional time, rather than adding another weapon damage die to the roll, that it doesn't work in doubling the damage.

In practice, using a greataxe on a half-orc, I assume it would function like so:

1d12 (greataxe)
+1d12 (crit for normal greataxe)
+1d12 (Savage attack die)
+1d12 (orcish fury die)
+1d12 (crit for orcish fury)

=5d12 + STR + rage.

While his argument is:

1d12 (greataxe)
+1d12 (orcish fury die)

=4d12 + STR + rage.

Both of us are DMs and this has not come up as of yet, but I was hoping the playground could help with insight on the matter to see which side is correct. I understand that the DM of the game has teh last say, but we'd both like to see who has the correct interpretation.

Thank you for your help!

Mith
2018-02-05, 10:51 AM
Not checking my books' but I have always thought that it would double with a crit, since wording is similar to that of a paladin's smite.

mrumsey
2018-02-05, 10:52 AM
I would side with you. I believe the general rule is "Double Dice, Single Static."

Additionally, things like Smite and Sneak Attack exist and set precedence.

Finally, it is ~6.5 damage extra per rest. I highly doubt that is going to break a game and it would make the player feel better about the choice.

Mith
2018-02-05, 11:00 AM
I would side with you. I believe the general rule is "Double Dice, Single Static."

Additionally, things like Smite and Sneak Attack exist and set precedence.

Finally, it is ~6.5 damage extra per rest. I highly doubt that is going to break a game and it would make the player feel better about the choice.

I agree with that. Plus, unless you are doing cleaving attacks for spill over damage, it's only in 1 target meelee attacks, so it is generally the least problematic.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-05, 11:00 AM
Ive always ruled that if you crit it adds the damage dice rolled. For example if you roll a crit on a weapon attack that you would normally roll 2d6 on then you would instead roll 4d6. This does not apply for multi attack and some other things.

Edit: So I guess I would rule this

1d12 (greataxe)
+1d12 (orcish fury die)
+1d12 (crit for orcish fury)

=5d12 + STR + rage.