PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Shockfrost [3.5 Wiz/Sorc 4th level spell]

gooddragon1
2018-02-05, 11:31 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

jqavins
2018-02-05, 04:00 PM
I assume the "Reflex halve" save applies to the damage, but you might want to state that explicitly, just because there's so much else going on.

The best reason I would take this spell is for creatures of potential unknown immunities. The enemy is immune to electricity damage? Well, I still get half from the cold. Not that the other effects aren't good. And I wonder if having the immunity bypass and other features together doesn't make it overpowered. What can you compare it to?

gooddragon1
2018-02-05, 04:42 PM
I assume the "Reflex halve" save applies to the damage, but you might want to state that explicitly, just because there's so much else going on.

The best reason I would take this spell is for creatures of potential unknown immunities. The enemy is immune to electricity damage? Well, I still get half from the cold. Not that the other effects aren't good. And I wonder if having the immunity bypass and other features together doesn't make it overpowered. What can you compare it to?

Flame Strike (4th level druid half untyped). Lightning bolt 3rd. Not sure about level, but it seemed about right.

Mention reflex half in top part or body paragraph or both?

jqavins
2018-02-05, 06:43 PM
Fireball lacks the split damage type and maxes damage at lower level (which doesn't matter until tenth) as well as not having the specials; this is definitely more powerful, but it should be since it's fourth level. OK.

Flame Strike has the untyped damage, which is a wee bit better than two types. Shockfrost maxes damage three levels earlier (again, with no difference until it does, at twelfth) so again Flame Strike is a wee bit better. But it doesn't have the specials, which favor Shockfrost. I think on balance Shockfrost is a stronger spell than Flame Strike, but I don't know if I'd say it's stronger by enough to make it a higher level. It's too bad there's no level 4-1/2.

As for the Ref save, you write it in the stat block, pretty much clear enough. I meant in the text, since you explicitly explain the Fort and Will saves (they need it) but leave the reader to assume what the Ref save means. If it is, indeed, half the damage of both types at once, then that is the natural assumption and people will get it right, but it couldn't hurt to add a short sentence to make it explicit and undoubtable.