PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Turn undead

Trey Bright
2018-02-05, 12:20 PM
So there a /lot/ of feats that have to do with turning undead for clerics. The different Devotion feats allow you to do some crazy stuff by expending your daily uses. The Divine Spell Power lets you boost (or depower) your caster level for cleric spells if you roll for turn undead. There are a ton of other crazy stuff I'm sure, so I'm wondering if there's any cleric builds specifically centered around taking extra turning once or twice as well as taking other feats that would use these feats to alter how you use turning?

EDIT: Changed the wording to "as well as"

Arael666
2018-02-05, 01:09 PM
I really don't see that working, why would you delay getting a feat to be able to use your turns to do something else to, instead, get more turns and still only be able to turn?

Edit: I just thought of something, maybe if you need a huge amount of turn attempts (lets say 7) to use your divine feat, then it would be illogical to get the divine feat before you get an extra turning. But if you really have that problem, maybe you're building your cleric the wrong way to properly use divine feats.

Trey Bright
2018-02-05, 01:10 PM
I really don't see that working, why would you delay getting a feat to be able to use your turns to do something else to, instead, get more turns and still only be able to turn?

Well, maybe take the feats that alter how you turn undead, then take extra turning?

Arael666
2018-02-05, 01:14 PM
Well, maybe take the feats that alter how you turn undead, then take extra turning?

yes, thats how usually people do it, but you clearly stated that you wanted to know if there were builds that "specifically centered around taking extra turning once or twice before taking other feats that would use these feats to alter how you use turning?"

Trey Bright
2018-02-05, 01:38 PM
yes, thats how usually people do it, but you clearly stated that you wanted to know if there were builds that "specifically centered around taking extra turning once or twice before taking other feats that would use these feats to alter how you use turning?"

:D Edited. Changed it to "as well as" instead of specifically taking extra turning first.

SwordChucks
2018-02-05, 02:48 PM
A cleric focused on Divine Metamagic can use turn attempts to reduce the increase in spell level from metamagic feats, usually using Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell for all day long buff spells.

More turn attempts means you can use more buff spells each day so Extra Turning comes up often, although most people would rather buy Nightsticks which give the holder the benefits of Extra Turning.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-05, 03:05 PM
I've only seen people take Extra Turning to fuel Divine Metamagic.
For everything else the base amount and the uses you get from items are generally more than enough.

Segev
2018-02-05, 03:09 PM
...maybe if you need a huge amount of turn attempts (lets say 7) to use your divine feat...

Why, it's almost as if you have a specific feat in mind.

But yeah, Divine Metamagic tends to be the biggest feat around which people design builds that use Extra Turning. Especially for Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell.

Goaty14
2018-02-05, 03:27 PM
Could you get off a kinda good blaster that fuels Divine Power on his blasty spells, or would evocation still not be worth it?

Thistledown
2018-02-06, 02:15 PM
This is a prestige class rather than a build but taking Extra Turning would really boost the "Positive Energy Burst" that an 8th level Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine Page 52) gets.

"Positive Energy Burst (Su): As a standard action, a radiant servant of Pelor who is at least 8th level can create a positive energy burst that deals 1d6 points of damage per class level to all undead creatures within 100 feet of the character. Undead are allowed a Reflex save (DC equal to 10 + the class level of the radiant servant) to avoid half the damage. This supernatural ability uses up two turning attempts. A radiant servant cannot use this ability if he has fewer than two turning attempts left for the day."

Turn Undead: A radiant servant of Pelor adds his radiant servant class levels to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead.

Trey Bright
2018-02-07, 01:07 PM
Could you get off a kinda good blaster that fuels Divine Power on his blasty spells, or would evocation still not be worth it?

Funny you should bring this up, I'm actually playing a character that will prestige in to Mystic Theruge and he has the Alternate Source feat. So I'll be able to boost some evocation wizard spells that I prepare as cleric spells. Though I'm trying to run him more defensive, so I'll probably be using it to power different abjuration spells.

Trey Bright
2018-02-07, 01:08 PM
Why, it's almost as if you have a specific feat in mind.

But yeah, Divine Metamagic tends to be the biggest feat around which people design builds that use Extra Turning. Especially for Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell.

Ah. Gotcha.

This is a prestige class rather than a build but taking Extra Turning would really boost the "Positive Energy Burst" that an 8th level Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine Page 52) gets.

"Positive Energy Burst (Su): As a standard action, a radiant servant of Pelor who is at least 8th level can create a positive energy burst that deals 1d6 points of damage per class level to all undead creatures within 100 feet of the character. Undead are allowed a Reflex save (DC equal to 10 + the class level of the radiant servant) to avoid half the damage. This supernatural ability uses up two turning attempts. A radiant servant cannot use this ability if he has fewer than two turning attempts left for the day."

Turn Undead: A radiant servant of Pelor adds his radiant servant class levels to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead.

Interesting. I'll have to look that Prc up.