PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Alternate way to Award XP (Taken from Wheel of Time D20)

Durzan
2018-02-05, 01:53 PM
So, in the Wheel of Time D20 Core Rulebook, rewarding XP actually seems to be a lot easier on the GM's part than in D&D 3.5. Normally, in 3.5 you calculate XP based off of the CR of an Encounter. (Which gets complicated real fast)

However, there is a simpler way to calculate and award XP, found in the Wheel of Time D20 Core Rulebook. (Yes I know it is mediocre, but it does have a few gems in it)

In the Wheel of Time Core Rulebook you award XP based off of Adventures, which is defined as a series of encounters (See the Core Rulebook, Pages 199-202). Thus, XP Awards is based on the the number of encounters.

A short adventure (Defined as having 3-5 encounters) grants XP equal to 1000 times the APL, divided among the party of course)
A Medium Adventure (6-10 Encounters) grants XP equal to twice that of a Short adventure, divided among the party.
A Long Adventure (12-15 Encounters) grants XP equal to four times that of a short adventure, divided among the party.

To make things even better, the game defines the relative difficulty of individual encounters based off of how much resources the players use up when dealing with an encounter, as well as providing guidelines for determining the difficulty of non-combat encounters (which can and should be part of an Adventure). See the encounters section of the WoT Core Rulebook for details (p. 226).

A Simple Encounter is an encounter that is relatively easy to the party and should pose minimal risk to them (should still provide some risk, as all encounters should). A simple encounter should use up no more than 10% of a party's resources (on average). These are your weakling mook encounters, your easy skill checks, some minor NPC interactions (if there is any risk involved), and your easy trap encounters. Things that provide only a small amount of risk, and/or only hinder the party momentarily. A good rule of thumb would be to assume that if the APL is 3 or more points higher than the EL of the encounter, then its probably a simple encounter;or if your players breeze through it with little trouble due to their own skills and not a good dice roll, then it was probably a simple encounter. Simple encounters should make up no more than half of a short adventure, and no more than 1/4 of the encounters in Medium or Long Adventures.
A Challenging Encounter is an encounter of relatively moderate difficulty for the players to overcome, using up 20%-25% of the player's resources. They should prove to provide a decent sense of risk and challenge to the party, and should only be able to overcome with some degree of difficulty. As a rule of thumb, approximately half of the encounters in an adventure should be challenging in nature. These are the encounters that should be roughly equal to the player's APL in nature. IE, your standard D&D encounter, although as mentioned before, you can include environmental and non-combat as challenging encounters if you build it right.
An Extreme Encounter is your proverbial boss fight, your climatic encounters, where the danger to the players is greatest. Such encounters should use up 50% or more of your player's resources, prove to be a huge challenge (on average) to overcome, and should provide significant risk to the players. As a rule of thumb an extreme encounter is an encounter that could result in one or more player deaths (or worse) and/or reasonably result in a TPK at worst; an encounter where the EL is 3 or more points greater than the APL of the party is probably an extreme encounter. At most, 1/4 of your adventure should consist of extreme encounters, although in some cases, one or two extreme encounter(s) could be considered a short adventure in and of themselves (if you can theoretically break up said extreme encounters into smaller components, like say... make each individual check or save made against a monster is a simple or challenging encounter). If there are more extreme encounters than challenging or simple encounters, consider awarding your players bonus XP on top of what they would normally earn.

Ultimately, this translates to the fact that your average party of 4 players needs approximately 4 short adventures, 2 medium adventures, or 1 long adventure to go up one level. Boom, there you go. A way to award your players without having to calculate how much XP each individual encounter should give.

BassoonHero
2018-02-05, 03:13 PM
The only objection I have to such a system is that it is nearly equivalent to the following, much simpler system:

Characters level up every 4 xp.
At the end of an adventure, award each player 1 xp for a short adventure, 2 for a medium adventure, or 4 for a long adventure.

The difference is that the Wheel of Time system maps this onto the standard 3.5 XP values, which matters if the characters are different levels or if they spend XP on crafting and spellcasting. So if you have those things in your game, this would be a reasonable XP system.

Durzan
2018-02-05, 04:21 PM
The only objection I have to such a system is that it is nearly equivalent to the following, much simpler system:

Characters level up every 4 xp.
At the end of an adventure, award each player 1 xp for a short adventure, 2 for a medium adventure, or 4 for a long adventure.

The difference is that the Wheel of Time system maps this onto the standard 3.5 XP values, which matters if the characters are different levels or if they spend XP on crafting and spellcasting. So if you have those things in your game, this would be a reasonable XP system.

I like this system because its flexible and lends itself a bit better towards a story-driven campaign; instead of having to kill monsters all the time to level up, this system makes it easier to setup roleplaying encounters, skill-based encounters, etc. And you can always break it down and simplify it even further. As with everything in D&D, YMMV.

At one point I gave each type of encounter a point value. Simple encounters were 1 point, Challenging were 2 point, and Extreme encounters were 3 points. Then I'd say that a short adventure was about 5 points, a Medium adventure was about 10 points, and Long were 15 points. As soon as the group hit 15 points (or an individual player hit 5 points), I'd level them up. However, this turned out to add additional complications, so I just stick to the default 3.5 XP system cause its actually easier for me to deal with regardless of whether or not XP costs are part of the game.

As for the XP values, if you want to use it with the standard XP values with it, you can... if not, its not hard to adjust accordingly as you so aptly pointed out.

johnbragg
2018-02-05, 04:45 PM
I've done something similar, using 10 Encounters per level, x1/2 for Easy encounters, 2 for Hard encounters. I haven't done it with a split-level party though. I suspect a good number of encounters would be Easy for the higher-level PC and Average for the rest, or Average for the party but Hard for the lower-level PC. This is a little quicker than pure book values of 13.333 Encounters/LEvel, but it also allows for easy math if you ever decide that you need XP numbers for something, or for players who are more comfortable with a 3X style number.

Yes, this allows you to throw in social encounters--attending the coronation ceremony without embarrassing yourself can be an Average Encounter, or at the very least Easy.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-02-05, 05:29 PM
What meaningful difference does it make between tracking XP by adventure (especially with that 1-4 EXP variant) and just using milestone leveling?

johnbragg
2018-02-05, 05:45 PM
What meaningful difference does it make between tracking XP by adventure (especially with that 1-4 EXP variant) and just using milestone leveling?

Sometimes none. On the other hand, sometimes DMs are uncomfortable with milestone leveling because they feel like it's hand-wavy and arbitrary. If they have a paragraph's worth of conditions that they can check boxes "yes" and "no" for, it gives them a decision matrix they feel comfortable with to justify saying "Yes, this is an appropriate time to level."

Besides that, the description of short, medium and long adventures sounds like a decent planning tool for starting GMs.

Durzan
2018-02-05, 05:46 PM

Essentially, each long adventure is a milestone. Instead of just arbitrarily leveling them up at set instances, you build the story around the encounters. You are keeping track of where they are and how powerful they are through an in-game system.

Its a modular system for those of us who like using XP, but who don't want to give out a fixed rate of XP based on a monster or encounter's CR/EL, and who wish to include non-combat as an encounter. You want someone to be a certain level at a certain time, or have a specific amount of XP at a specific time? Plan an adventure with X encounters, and have each encounter build to a story. That way, you follow the rules for XP (and thus you can deal with item creation and XP Costs), yet still have the flexibility of arbitrary leveling up.

Plus, its makes planning a tad easier... which is always a good point in my book.

edathompson2
2018-02-07, 04:58 PM
The most effective system for giving XP is arbitrary based upon how much fun I have as a DM. Solves ALLOT of problems fast.

Durzan
2018-02-09, 12:36 PM
The most effective system for giving XP is arbitrary based upon how much fun I have as a DM. Solves ALLOT of problems fast.

It also creates some of its own problems.