PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half-Hag Race

Xihirli
2018-02-05, 02:06 PM
First let's get the lore out of the way.
Hags tend to breed through rituals including the consumption of a child.
There are, however, a few ways I can think of in which a half-hag would be born.
A) The ritual is botched, something goes wrong.
B) A hag and human make a child the same way a human and elf or human and orc might.

The race and subraces below I believe to be balanced and in line with the hags' entries throughout their various sourcebooks.
I am of course open to suggestions and corrections.
A few things I have considered is requiring a certain level before the half-hags access certain spells. I see a lot of potential for paladins, valor/sword bards, and Wild Magic Sorcerers.
Let me know what you think.

Half-Hag
Ability Score Increase
Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Half-Hags reach maturity at the same age as humans, but tend to live up to 150 years.
Alignment
Half-Hags can be of any alignment, but if they are raised by their Hag parent they are likely to be Evil.
Size
Half-Hags are similar in size to humans, and their height tends to fall between 5 and 7 feet. Your size is Medium.
Tough Skin
Half-hags’ skin is tough and difficult to penetrate. Your unarmored AC is 14. Any armor you wear replaces your Unarmored AC, but shields and magic items can.
Witch’s Eye
You can see in Dim Light as if it were Bright Light, and Darkness as if it were Dim Light within 60 feet. You can’t discern color in Darkness, only shades of gray.

Subraces
Your subrace is determined by your hag parent. Your parent can be a Bheur Hag, an Annis Hag, a Night Hag, a Sea Hag, or a Green Hag.

Bheur
Ability Score Increase
Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Raised Wild
You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival
Chilling Heritage
You have resistance to Cold Damage, and can travel over icy and snowy terrain without suffering the effects of difficult terrain or having to make a check.
Freezing Magic
You know the Ray of Frost Cantrip. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.
Tough Childhood
Your familiarity with a hag that ate people has toughened you up mentally. You have advantage on saving throws agains the Fear condition.
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Giant.
Appearance
You are the same size as a human, but your fingers are unusually long, your mouth opens wider than one would expect, your hair is white, and your skin is a shade of blue.

Annis
Ability Score Increase
Your Strength score increases by 2.
Deal-Maker
You gain proficiency in the Deception skill.
Magic Shroud
When you reach third level, you can cast the Disguise Self and Fog Cloud spells once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common, Giant, and Sylvan.
Crushing Hug
When a creature is grappled by you, you can crush them. The arm you are using to grapple them becomes a natural weapon, which deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 plus your Strength modifier.
Appearance
Your arms are elongated, you may have a hunched back, and your head is far too small for your body. Your skin is tough to the touch and your smile tends to be off-putting.

Green
Ability Score Increase
Your CON score increases by 2.
Magic Mouth
You gain proficiency in one of the following skills. Perception, Deception, Arcana, and Stealth.
Treacherous Power
You know the Vicious Mockery cantrip. After you reach third level, you can cast Disguise Self once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Mimicry
You learn how to mimic animal sounds and human voices. An insight check contested by your deception check reveals these sounds to be false.
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.
Appearance
Excepting close inspection, you could pass as a full human. On a closer look, your skin is tough to the touch and your complexion always appears to be a sickly green.

Night
Ability Score Increase
Your INT score increases by 1.
Fade into the Night
You gain one of the following skills: Perception, Deception, Insight, and Stealth
Strong Mind
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed.
Innate Spellcasting
Once per long rest, you can cast the Detect Magic spell and Alter Self spell without expending a spell slot. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Sleep Through Nightmares
When you take a long rest and are normally unable to gain the benefits of a long rest, you do not gain a level of exhaustion. However, you do not regain lost hit points or hit dice, spell slots, or your expended innate spells.
Hag Eye
As part of a long rest, you may use an eye from a deceased creature to create a Hag Eye. This item ceases decomposing, and you can attune to it as if it were a magic item. While you are attuned to it, you can use your action to see through it for up to one minute. Using the Hag Eye in this regard requires your concentration
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and your choice of Abyssal, Infernal, or Primordial.
Appearance
Your skin is purple, and you grow two small goat like horns along your hairline. Other than that, you could be a human.

Sea
Ability Score Improvement
Your Strength Score increases by 1, and your CON score increases by 1.
Amphibious
You can breathe in air and water. Your swim speed is 30 ft per turn.
Tough Childhood
Your parent looked completely terrifying. You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Soft Skin
You do not gain the benefits of the Half Hags’ Natural Armor.
Not Fooled
Your hag parent would often assume an illusory appearance, and you learned how to spot it. You have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) checks to discern illusions and disguises.
Appearance
Your hair is green and appears to be made of coral. Your fingernails tend to be long and pointed, but are too fragile to be used as natural weapons. Your skin itself is not blue, but light bouncing off of it tends to reflect as blue.
Languages
You can speak, read, and write Common and Aquan.

JNAProductions
2018-02-05, 03:43 PM
Not bad-but they feel a little TOO full. I'd drop maybe just one ability per subrace.

Also, I'd make natural armor 12+Dex.

Xihirli
2018-02-05, 03:50 PM
I noticed this and tried to counter it with underwhelming ASIs on the more filled up ones. Is that not an effective counter? Which abilities would you drop?

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 03:52 PM
I noticed this and tried to counter it with underwhelming ASIs on the more filled up ones. Is that not an effective counter? Which abilities would you drop?

It's not enough, in my view. All of these except the sea hag are right at the top of the power curve.

First off, I'd cut the skills back to one each. Then I'd lock the levelled spells away to ECL 3 or 5. And yeah, 12+Dex is probably a good idea.

Xihirli
2018-02-05, 04:50 PM
I see your points. They don't have scales, just tough skin. I'm thinking the Sea Hag subrace should keep their skills at least, but I agree that the other three are pretty up there in terms of power.
Thanks for all your help! I'm definitely going to lower their Natural Armor and probably going to lower the skill number.

I have made the changes requested and, yes, I now note that if you can take away several features and it's still a viable race it's a bit much. I hope you'll find them balanced as they are now.

Eloel
2018-02-06, 12:13 PM
Isn't a half-hag basically a changeling?

Xihirli
2018-02-06, 05:28 PM
Well, let me take a look.

No, they seem distinct.

Eloel
2018-02-06, 05:38 PM
Well, let me take a look.

No, they seem distinct.

Might have been confusing with Pathfinder, where they literally are offsprings of hags with non-hags. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-changeling)