PDA

View Full Version : Volo's Devourer - What happens here?

Ganymede
2018-02-05, 03:39 PM
The Devourer from Volo's Guide has an ability that lets it trap a dying individual in its ribcage. The ability explains what happens to it if the victim dies while in there, but does not explain what happens if the victim stabilizes or regains consciousness.

I was planning on having the Devourer disgorge any conscious/stabilized victim at the start of its next turn, just as it would someone it killed.

Is there any info on point?

jollydm
2018-02-05, 04:31 PM
I think your idea is fine. Alternatively when they wake up, they could be considered grappled, and they have to succeed in "breaking" the grapple to get out of its chest.

chokfull
2018-02-06, 10:43 AM
The Froghemoth also has rules on swallowing that you could borrow, I believe. I think it spits up someone after taking a certain amount of damage from the inside.

Ventruenox
2018-02-06, 11:01 AM
I was under the impression that the suffocation rules would come into play at that point. The victim cannot stabilize if it cannot breathe.

A creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).

When a creature runs out of breath or is choking, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying, and it can't regain hit points or be stabilized until it can breathe again.

For example, a creature with a Constitution of 14 can hold its breath for 3 minutes. If it starts suffocating, it has 2 rounds to reach air before it drops to 0 hit points.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-06, 12:13 PM
Could the Devourer not just poke them to death or something?

I was under the impression that the suffocation rules would come into play at that point. The victim cannot stabilize if it cannot breathe.

Judging by the picture, the victim's head is left exposed and so he wouldn't suffocate.

ShikomeKidoMi
2018-02-06, 09:37 PM
The Devourer from Volo's Guide has an ability that lets it trap a dying individual in its ribcage. The ability explains what happens to it if the victim dies while in there, but does not explain what happens if the victim stabilizes or regains consciousness.I was planning on having the Devourer disgorge any conscious/stabilized victim at the start of its next turn, just as it would someone it killed.Is there any info on point?

No, there's no info, though I suspect the Devourer would simply attack anyone in its ribcage who stabilized, to force further death saving throws. An interesting question is if the target has to stay at 0 hit points for the Devourer to hold on to them or if being healed by some effect will let them escape.