PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphic into a dragon permanently, what is lost?

Dankus Memakus
2018-02-05, 05:06 PM
Now I dont intend to do this but if i was a wizard who true polymorphed into a dragon permanently what would I lose? If I had Feats would they remain? What is kept and what's lost?

MadBear
2018-02-05, 05:14 PM
I can see this going a number of ways depending on the DM, but in my game you'd lose all your class features, and feats. The only thing that would remain the same is your personality and alignment.

Dankus Memakus
2018-02-05, 05:17 PM
I can see this going a number of ways depending on the DM, but in my game you'd lose all your class features, and feats. The only thing that would remain the same is your personality and alignment.

Now that's what I thought too. Do you think a ancient brass dragon is stronger than a wizard

MadBear
2018-02-05, 05:34 PM
Now that's what I thought too. Do you think a ancient brass dragon is stronger than a wizard

that really depends. An ancient brass dragon fills a completely different role then a wizard. Still even with that said, will the DM let the dragon keep its legendary actions? (some will, most won't)

More importantly, is that what the character wants? If so, go for it, if not, probably don't.

sightlessrealit
2018-02-05, 05:35 PM
Dm Dependent.
For me it would be in Dragon form you'd be limited to your dragon statistics and any feats you had. Class features would only apply if they are feasible in said form. But if say you chose to be an Adult Bronze Dragon I would say you could change shape into your true race where your statistics & Class stuff would be in full effect.

Burnteyes
2018-02-05, 06:20 PM
Agree with other DM dependent.

As a DM, I would allow you to become the dragon. In dragon form I'd pull all your feats. I'd have to know the specific dragon type, look at the legendary actions and take some time to decide which I would allow.

As far as changing back, unless it was a Dragon that was prone to using humanoid form, I would largely be against back and forth. I would likely limit what humanoid form, or if opening the book of humanoids I would vastly limit what skills/abilities I allowed in humanoid form.

For me, as a DM, it would have to be someone who was dead set on being a dragon first, foremost and most of the time. Further, the dragon would need to be of a natural mindset/type that wanted to help. For example: Red Dragons really just want to increase their own gold hoards, at pretty much all cost. White Dragons are pretty much animals at heart and want to kill stuff to eat and because they can. Brass dragons like talking to humans are CG, and really only greedy when it comes to their magic stuff. Bronze are LG and like joining a fight for a good cause with humanoid.

The first two, no, the second two, lets talk. I need an extremely compelling case, written, about the back story of your character to that would lead me to believe this would be their choice. Sell me on why I Brass or Copper dragon, and I'll consider it. Let's say you are a Gnome Rogue Trickster, well, Copper dragon is kind of in line so perhaps.

Dankus Memakus
2018-02-05, 11:38 PM
Agree with other DM dependent.

As a DM, I would allow you to become the dragon. In dragon form I'd pull all your feats. I'd have to know the specific dragon type, look at the legendary actions and take some time to decide which I would allow.

As far as changing back, unless it was a Dragon that was prone to using humanoid form, I would largely be against back and forth. I would likely limit what humanoid form, or if opening the book of humanoids I would vastly limit what skills/abilities I allowed in humanoid form.

For me, as a DM, it would have to be someone who was dead set on being a dragon first, foremost and most of the time. Further, the dragon would need to be of a natural mindset/type that wanted to help. For example: Red Dragons really just want to increase their own gold hoards, at pretty much all cost. White Dragons are pretty much animals at heart and want to kill stuff to eat and because they can. Brass dragons like talking to humans are CG, and really only greedy when it comes to their magic stuff. Bronze are LG and like joining a fight for a good cause with humanoid.

The first two, no, the second two, lets talk. I need an extremely compelling case, written, about the back story of your character to that would lead me to believe this would be their choice. Sell me on why I Brass or Copper dragon, and I'll consider it. Let's say you are a Gnome Rogue Trickster, well, Copper dragon is kind of in line so perhaps.

I was actually thinking the character I had in mind would be a dwarf transmuter wizard who was on the search for magic items with the archeologist background, CG, flaw was greed so that's why i mentioned brass dragon. Like i I said tho I'm not actually playing that character

Edit: I enjoy making characters who I plan to play in the future and this is just one of them

Davrix
2018-02-06, 04:31 AM
This sort of interests me as I will be doing a lv 20 campaign soon. The Dm said I could play a dragon if I wished. (which ive always wanted to do) But in 5th they just seem so... one dimensional now. I wouldn't say I'd want to have my cake and eat it to by simply being able to transmute back and forth between a lv 20 class and a CR 20 dragon but eh I kind of want to do something along those lines that would be fair within reason. (DM doesn't mind us being just a tad broken its a month long end of the world type story)

Unoriginal
2018-02-06, 05:42 AM
For starter, you'll lose all your spells and spellcasting capacities.

TheTeaMustFlow
2018-02-06, 07:21 AM
It's worth noting that, as per Sage Advice/Errata, 'permanent' here means 'indefinitely until dispelled'. So you can get your original form back if you want/need it. Of course, this also means you are vulnerable to dispel magic/antimagic fields/etc. being used against you.

Dankus Memakus
2018-02-06, 08:26 AM
It's worth noting that, as per Sage Advice/Errata, 'permanent' here means 'indefinitely until dispelled'. So you can get your original form back if you want/need it. Of course, this also means you are vulnerable to dispel magic/antimagic fields/etc. being used against you.

This seems like a benefit though

Alderic78
2018-02-06, 10:15 AM
This seems like a benefit though

It depends on your initial goal.

But yes, the spell is quite specific. You use the creature statistics, but keep your alignment and personality. Feats, ASIs, spellcasting, all your racial traits, everyting is replaced by the creature stats.
The spell can also still be dispelled, and it's also possible you'll still revert to your original form when brought to 0 hp.
It's not really "permanent"