PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next What Challenge Rating is this Boss creature?

PhantasyPen
2018-02-05, 11:32 PM
Greetings,

So a few years back, my D&D group decided to play Curse of Strahd. It was a fairly interesting campaign and, long story short, we essentially perma-killed Strahd (I know that should be impossible, but we somehow managed). My PC in that campaign managed to accrue a rather interesting collection of magical items over the course of the adventure, which through no design of my own, blended so thematically well together that I decided to say "let's do this!" when we met the Dark Powers and I took one of the pacts offered: the Pact of the Hunt, and in the epilogue of the campaign, it was agreed that he became a new Dark Lord in the Demiplane of Dread.

Flash forward to the other day, where one of my fellow players suggested a short adventure through my PC's little patch of Ravenloft, and what such an adventure might be like, and then my fingers slipped and this came out (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HDCbPhJRIK10NEKdt8WQloZSBsf2Fh6u/view?usp=sharing). So does anyone mind helping me find the CR for this character as a boss? Just so I know what kind of party can reasonably be expected to handle him.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-06, 05:25 AM
So does anyone mind helping me find the CR for this character as a boss? Just so I know what kind of party can reasonably be expected to handle him.

Shooting from the hip: I give it CR 17. Any takers?

Draken
2018-02-10, 10:13 AM
Shooting from the hip: I give it CR 17. Any takers?

BY DMG guidelines, its HP and damage are around CR 6. The AC and to-hit bonuses are very high, however.

Honestly, it reminds me of a Storm Giant a bit, More AC, but 105 less HP, lower to-hit and needs to use its 3-point legendary action to match it for damage (less aoe potential too). Should be ok as a CR 13.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-10, 01:36 PM
Storm Giant

Just did a quick check, and I think the MM Storm Giant is slightly under-CRed. It should be 14, per the DMG guidelines.

Still, I made a few favourable assumptions when I did my calculations on the Lord of the Hunt, so I definitely look at 17 as an over-estimate.

Draken
2018-02-10, 02:59 PM
It has significant advantages on the offense, but it is beneath expectations when it comes to its defenses (well, AC and HP at least).

This one is even further beneath the SG in both attack and defense (besides the high AC), I suggested CR 13 more because it has a lot of tricks in addition to the damage.