PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Righteous Warlock

Nebuul
2018-02-05, 11:38 PM
I've recently run into a situation where we might want a lawful good foil for the normally chaotic/dark warlock class. The goal is to have a mirror image of the warlock that is useful but not busted. We want to keep most of the fundamentals the same with regard to regular warlocks, but we want to flip powers to be righteous and ordered instead of dark and chaotic. Many powers will be "same as" just with different names. For example beshadowed blast might become radiant blast, and it will blind with brilliant light instead of shadow. But other powers will change. For example brimstone blast will change to sunfire blast and gain extra effectiveness vs undead. Other examples are baleful utterance being replaced with an ability that uses words of creation to mend/repair/strengthen objects. Utterdark blast will need to be replaced with something that uses positive energy instead of negative, etc.

So, with that in mind, what are your suggestions for new versions of abilities that are orderly or positive versions of the current chaotic/dark warlock invocations? Here's a list of the abilities I'm considering. All of these are just rough first pass/initial thoughts. I welcome any input!

Least:
Baleful Utterance - this needs to be words of creation and should bolster/repair instead of destroy. Thoughts are: Mending, reconstructing destroyed (not restoring lost magic), adding hardness, or even adding temporary magic enchantments (per Greater Magic Weapon)
Beguiling Influence - Righteous Confidence - should not buff bluff. We're thinking of making it pump diplomacy and sense motive with a conditional intimidate vs non-good creatures
Breath of Night - Clear the Air - gust of wind
Dark One's Own Luck - Holy Bolster - no change to effect
Darkness - Light
Devil's Sight - Celestial Vision - See normally in Darkness and Immune to Blindness (loses seeing in magical darkness)
Entropic Warding - Righteous Certainty - Cannot be flanked, bonus to spot, listen, and survival checks
Frightful Blast - Awesome Blast - no change to effect
Hideous Blow - Righteous Weapon - blast shape - as a free action, infuse currently held weapon with eldritch power of your eldritch blast (with eldritch essence if desired). Until your next turn, successful melee attacks with the weapon automatically apply eldritch blast damage with the applicable essence. If the attack normally allows for a reflex save, instead no save is allowed. If the weapon critically hits, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Miasmic Cloud - Zone of Revelation - Creates a zone 10' radius around the caster's location when cast. All creatures except those designated by the caster entering the zone are affected as though by faerie fire as long as they are in the area and for 1 round thereafter. The area is otherwise invisible and lasts for 1 minute or until a darkness spell is cast in the area
Sickening Blast - I don't know what to do with this. I'm thinking of a helpful ray that does positive energy and has some kind of a status effect cleansing to cast on allies or disables undead
Summon Swarm - the swarms are celestial

Lesser
Beshadowed Blast - Radiant Blast - same effect
Brimstone Blast - Sunfire Blast - similar effect, creatures vulnerable to light take double damage, and undead use d8 dice instead of d6 (so a vampire uses d8 dice and takes double damage)
Curse of Despair - Blessing of Hope - Remove Curse + Bless (single target only)
The Dead Walk - Celestial Gate - Summon Monster III (lawful good only, new summon replaces old summon)
Fell Flight - Angelic Wings - same effect
Flee the Scene - Righteous Dash - Dimension Door with no restrictions on actions for rest of turn, does not leave behind an after image
Hellrime Blast - ???
Hungry Darkness - Celestial Fireflies - similar to hungry darkness, but with Light Spell instead of darkness + celestial fireflies swarm damage (same stats as swarm of bats, but is a lawful good outsider)
Voidsense - Karmic Sense - same effect
Walk Unseen - Celestial Passage - Sanctuary instead of Invisibility. If opponent's save is failed when attempting to act against caster, opponent must make a fortitude save or be struck permanently blind by holy light
Wall of Gloom - Wall of Brilliance - Wall of brilliant light eminates Daylight as spell from every square it occupies. Similar to wall of gloom spell, but failed save results in blindness as long as still adjacent to wall

Greater
Bewitching Blast - ??? Name??? - As bewitching blast, but additionally unable to attack creatures of good alignment on failed save
Chilling Tentacles - Celestial Tentacles - same as chilling tentacles, but tentacles are brilliant white surrounded by a golden glow and the aura damage is holy instead of frost
Enervating Shadow - Awe-Inspiring Light - You glow brightly as a daylight spell. You are surrounded by an aura of protection from evil 5' radius, and any evil creature attempting to target creatures in the radius must make a willpower save or those creatures have total concealment from it
Noxious Blast - ???
Tenacious Plague - ????
Vitriolic Blast - Maybe unchanged, but acid seems kind of cruel
Wall of Perilous Flame - Wall of Celestial Flame - same effect
Warlock's Call - Angelic Call - no risk of damage

Dark
Dark Discorporation - ??? -- similar effect, but celestial fireflies instead of bats. Bonus damage to undead, grants light
Dark Foresight - Angelic Prophecizing - same effect
Eldritch Doom - Eldritch Smite - same effect
Path of Shadow - ???
Retributive Invisibility - ??? not sure what to do on this one. I don't want invisibility/deception abilities for this class
Utterdark Blast - Celestial Blast - not sure what effects to do. Definitely uses positive energy and deals bonus damage to undead and evil or chaotic outsiders. Not sure if it should have some beneficial effect vs good-aligned creatures
Word of Changing - Word of Remaking - uses words of creation. Otherwise unchanged

I haven't gone into the follow-up sources for invocations, such as dragon magic/cityscapes/complete mage. For example, I would think Devil's Whispers would be changed to Holy Compulsion, and it would just be as the suggestion spell without the deceptive delusion effect.

Anyhow, this is my initial thoughts. I haven't done a balance pass or anything, but this is the direction I'm going. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

AOKost
2018-02-06, 04:09 PM
I've always felt that Warlocks got a bad rap about them all being evil... so this is a nice shift. Keep up the 'good' work ;)

KillingAScarab
2018-02-06, 10:13 PM
That Gifted adaptation which Fizban shared (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22814574&postcount=8) called their invocations blessings. I think invocation is still a fine word to use, as dragonfire adept also does, but renaming the eldritch blast and giving damage reduction which is bypassed by siliver weapons isn't a bad idea.

Some of the new invocations could come from that list, including restore beauty to replace baleful utterance. Although, there's a case to be made for a dialect of celestial being able to destroy, if you've ever seen Dogma.

I would not use euphoric blast to be the equal of sicking blast. The dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed) condition seems more appropriate than nauseated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#nauseated). This might require it to be changed from a least invocation to a lesser invocation, or a reduction in the duration.

Nebuul
2018-02-06, 10:47 PM
That Gifted adaptation which Fizban shared (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22814574&postcount=8) called their invocations blessings. I think invocation is still a fine word to use, as dragonfire adept also does, but renaming the eldritch blast and giving damage reduction which is bypassed by siliver weapons isn't a bad idea.

Some of the new invocations could come from that list, including restore beauty to replace baleful utterance. Although, there's a case to be made for a dialect of celestial being able to destroy, if you've ever seen Dogma.

I would not use euphoric blast to be the equal of sicking blast. The dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed) condition seems more appropriate than nauseated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#nauseated). This might require it to be changed from a least invocation to a lesser invocation, or a reduction in the duration.

I might actually switch the damage reduction to /evil since that matches a lot of outsider damage reduction.