PDA

View Full Version : Unmounted lancer

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-06, 04:31 AM
I'm working on a character idea that uses a lance and a shield unmounted (strongarm bracers, so lance is considered a 1 handed weapon). I am planning on taking short haft, so I can attack at non reach, but I'm trying to see if there's a way to get the lance charge without mounted?

Eno Remnant
2018-02-06, 04:36 AM
Be a centaur. That's about the only thing. It's a specific bonus with a specific requirement.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-06, 04:39 AM
I am planning on being a human, or at least humanoid.

weckar
2018-02-06, 06:37 AM
The relevant text says "A lance deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount. "
The ONLY slightly cheeky thing you can do with this is that you can attack the mount itself for double damage. I don't see any way you could get any benefit without a mount.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-06, 06:41 AM
Okay, I was asking cause there are a lot of people on here with knowledge of a lot of uncommon material. Not being able to doesn't break the idea, just thought it would be cool.

zergling.exe
2018-02-06, 06:48 AM
Strongarm bracers, powerful build, and other means of wielding larger weapons by RAW don't allow you to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand. Lances can only be wielded in one hand if you are mounted, or using a smaller weapon and incurring the inappropriate size penatly. Strongarm bracers would allow you to wield a medium lance in one hand with the -2 penalty for wielding an undersized weapon, just as a large creature would.

weckar
2018-02-06, 06:56 AM
Strongarm bracers, powerful build, and other means of wielding larger weapons by RAW don't allow you to wield a two-handed weapon in one hand. (...) Strongarm bracers would allow you to wield a medium lance in one hand with the -2 penalty for wielding an undersized weapon, just as a large creature would. This seems contradictory. Do or don't Strongarm Bracers allow it?

zergling.exe
2018-02-06, 07:11 AM
This seems contradictory. Do or don't Strongarm Bracers allow it?

The first sentence is in reference to the common assumption that if you can wield a weapon one size larger without penalty that you can wield a two-handed weapon without penalty. That's not something those abilities give you. You have to wield it as a large size creature would, which gives you a penalty.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-06, 07:18 AM
That's how my character would be using it, with the -2 penalty. I thought it was a given when I wrote that.
I also didn't mention the -2 for tower shield. I wasn't looking for confirmation on how to use a lance 1 handed.

Jormengand
2018-02-06, 08:00 AM
A raptoran (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1)'s dive attack allows them to deal double damage with any piercing weapon, lance or no. You'd probably be better off just wielding a rapier, trident or even morningstar normally than using the lance with the bracers, of course.

zergling.exe
2018-02-06, 08:06 AM
That's how my character would be using it, with the -2 penalty. I thought it was a given when I wrote that.
I also didn't mention the -2 for tower shield. I wasn't looking for confirmation on how to use a lance 1 handed.

When I read the part in parenthesis, it read like wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand with no penalty because of strongarm bracers. Specifically the use of 'considered'. I didn't address the other part because I had nothing to add.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-06, 08:07 AM
If you're not mounted a lance is basically using a heavier, more expensive longspear that can't be set against a charge.
There's no point to doing it in other words.

Easiest way to do what you want is get Shield and Pike Style (Dr#338), wield a longspear and enchant it with Valorous (UE) for 2x damage on a charge.

Jormengand
2018-02-06, 08:12 AM
Oh, also if you're an orc or half-orc or can bypass prerequisites, the feat Headlong Rush (RoF 164) allows you to do this, and the fact that you're using a reach weapon suddenly becomes relevant as well.

weckar
2018-02-06, 08:24 AM
Except Headlong Rush works for any weapon.

Jormengand
2018-02-06, 08:44 AM
Except Headlong Rush works for any weapon.

Yes. Indeed. Including the lance that the OP is going for.

gorfnab
2018-02-06, 02:57 PM
This handbook Little Red Raiding Hood: My Tale of & Guide to the 3.5 Dragoon (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=7200) details how to make an unmounted lancer build.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-06, 04:07 PM
Well I'm not going crazy about the classes I'm taking, but the list of feats is super nice

Menzath
2018-02-06, 06:33 PM
A raptoran (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1)'s dive attack allows them to deal double damage with any piercing weapon, lance or no. You'd probably be better off just wielding a rapier, trident or even morningstar normally than using the lance with the bracers, of course.

Huh, does that mean a raptoran riding a gryphon does 3x with a Lance on a dive attack? And what if the gryphon started on the ground and jumped(then dove after flying) for leap attack bonus.