PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures or token to play DD5 ?

Grenouillebleue
2018-02-06, 06:14 AM
Hello,

I'll soon be mastering a DD5 game (Out of the Abyss) and we're not at all a theatre-of-the-mind sort of players. We like mats and miniatures to better see what's happening, so I'm trying to find tokens and/or miniature boxes that would go with it.

When we played Pathfinder, there were token sets for every adventure. Is there something remotely comparable for DD5 ?

Thanks a lot !

trctelles
2018-02-06, 06:57 AM
Have you tried Google? It's really that easy to find D&D miniatures...

bc56
2018-02-06, 07:01 AM
Minis tend to be pretty expensive, especially to get the ones you want. I would recommend a dry-erase battlemat, because it's relatively cheap and easy to use, without sacrificing accuracy of the layout.

Cespenar
2018-02-06, 07:21 AM
We use a handful of miniatures for the PCs, like 2-3 dollars each, I guess, and the rest of the creatures are just tokens, which can be practically free.

I guess as a DIY fashion you could make some "miniatures" by just printing some small pictures and folding them, I guess?

Or if anyone has some leftover Lego from their childhood, they can act as pretty good miniatures as well.

Grenouillebleue
2018-02-06, 08:38 AM
Well, I've actually googled it before asking here, and miniatures are mostly sold out, those that don't are horribly expensive.

I was more looking for the kind of things you have with Pathfinder, with pawns for monsters and/or players.

Something like this, but suited to DD5 campaigns:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqJ,!iQFDnlS61CLBQ92iCmuRg~~/s-l300.jpg

Tiadoppler
2018-02-06, 11:05 AM
I use as many minis as I can afford, and always have minis for the PCs. For large battles and mooks, I make my own tokens out of hardware store bathroom tiles.

They come in 1'x1' sheets held together by plastic netting+glue, and the individual tiles are either 1"x1", 2"x2", or 3"x3". They pull off fairly easily, and the white/offwhite ones that aren't too slick hold permanent marker well.

I write a letter and number on each for easy tracking. Letter represents type of creature, number for ID, so I can track HP easily in larger battles.

Tiles are nice and heavy, so they don't move around, and they're clearly legible from across the table.

Wolfsraine
2018-02-06, 11:14 AM
DD5

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqJ,!iQFDnlS61CLBQ92iCmuRg~~/s-l300.jpg

What is DD5?

Vogie
2018-02-06, 11:18 AM
You can also start investing in off-the-shelf games that have solid miniatures. For example, the Rum And Bones (https://www.amazon.com/Rum-and-Bones-Board-Game/dp/B014BVJPRM)board game (and their expansions) come with a dazzling array of miniatures that are all in an overall nautical theme - pirates, marines, undead, Krakens, et cetera - in addition to being a fairly solid game in it's own right.

Also, the Magic: The Gathering: Arena of Planeswalkers (which are often on sale).

ZorroGames
2018-02-06, 03:12 PM
Tokens? Giantip has several sets see http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#RMEsM7CSCJa8aSoZATl
For one example.

“... In honor of Halloween, the Autumn edition of A Monster for Every Season is now available. Actually, it was available a few days ago, but I had some technical difficulty updating this News page. Anyway, it's here now. If that's something you're interested in, you can head over to Gumroad to pick it up, or you can check out the product page to learn more...”

Miniatures - well honestly I have thousands from my war gaming decades but most of my younger fellow players get cheap ones on Ebay or “Bones” from Reaper Miniatures.

Demonslayer666
2018-02-06, 03:16 PM
I like the Pathfinder Pawns:Bestiary. It gives a large number of pieces to use and the monsters are easy to differentiate from the PCs (if you use real minis for the PCs).

We used to use a large etched whiteboard (2'x3'), but it's unwieldy. I have found the D&D Dungeon Tiles and Pathfinder Map Packs much more useful.

Laserlight
2018-02-06, 07:05 PM
Iheartprintandplay.com (or something similar ) has free download pawns of the sort you're looking for.

I print the character's logo in a 1" circle and use a scrapbooker punch to cut it out. Stick it on the felt disc intended for furniture feet if you want.