PDA

View Full Version : The Krakenborn (Stats)

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-06, 09:37 AM
I am currently running a ocean based dungeon with Slarkrethel as the big bad so I have created some stats for his evil spawn. I would like to know if this is balanced or if there are things I missed.

Krakenborn
Medium monstrosity CE
AC 17 (natural armor=half plate)
HP 45 (7d8+14)
Speed 20ft swim 40ft

Str dex con int wis cha
18(+4) 14(+2) 16(+3) 11(0) 10(0) 14(+2)

Saving throws: Str, Con
Damage Resistances: Cold, poison
Condition Immunities: Frightened, Charmed, water pressure
Senses: Darkvision 60ft Passive perception 10
Languges: Primordial, Aquan
CR: 3 (700xp)

Amphibious: can breath water and air

Innate spell casting
At will: shape water
3/day: Witch Bolt, Entangle

Actions:
Multiattack:
Can make one attack with bite and two with trident (trident can be exchanged with tentacles)
Bite: Melee attack. +6 to hit. range 5ft. 7(1d4+4)
Tentacle attack: Melee attack. +6 to hit. range 5ft 11(2d6+4)
Trident: Melee or ranged attack +6 to hit. Range 5ft or 20/60ft 11(2d6+4)

Unoriginal
2018-02-06, 09:51 AM
Look at the Krakenpriest, Sea Spawn and Deep Scion in the Volo's. They should provide inspiration.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-06, 10:08 AM
I looked into that but none of the abilities seem to work with it. I think I would want some trait for them that would seem cool that relates it to the kraken but im not sure what. Thats why I gave them the innate spell casting.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-06, 10:59 AM
Lightning Bolt 1/day!

With even just three of these things, they can line themselves up to hit two out of four party members each, at least. That makes 2(8d6) for the wizard and rogue (or approximation), and 3(8d6) for the cleric and fighter (or similar). Assume the fighter and rogue make the save. So, the wizard takes 56 damage, the rogue takes 28 damage, the cleric takes 84 damage, and the fighter takes 42 damage. That's enough to kill almost any wizard or cleric... in a single round!!! Let's face it, man, more than one of these is pretty much TPK fodder.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-06, 12:23 PM
Lightning Bolt 1/day!

With even just three of these things, they can line themselves up to hit two out of four party members each, at least. That makes 2(8d6) for the wizard and rogue (or approximation), and 3(8d6) for the cleric and fighter (or similar). Assume the fighter and rogue make the save. So, the wizard takes 56 damage, the rogue takes 28 damage, the cleric takes 84 damage, and the fighter takes 42 damage. That's enough to kill almost any wizard or cleric... in a single round!!! Let's face it, man, more than one of these is pretty much TPK fodder.

I did not consider that. Do you have some better spells to replace that with. Also as a side note you wont have to worry about them for a bit.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-06, 12:38 PM
I did not consider that. Do you have some better spells to replace that with. Also as a side note you wont have to worry about them for a bit.

Shape Water is a ribbon, mostly. Their Multiattack does better damage than that. I'd give them Shape Water at will, then Witch Bolt 3/day. Maybe Entangle, too.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-06, 12:43 PM
Shape Water is a ribbon, mostly. Their Multiattack does better damage than that. I'd give them Shape Water at will, then Witch Bolt 3/day. Maybe Entangle, too.

ok good idea. Ill change that now.

Motorskills
2018-02-06, 09:01 PM
For your viewing pleasure (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?488544-Enhancing-quot-Storm-King-s-Thunder-quot&p=7336305&viewfull=1#post7336305) (spoilers for SKT, natch)