PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite 'thematic' spellcaster?

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 11:21 AM
Whenever I play a mage in 5E, I like to have some sort of theme. Sometimes its baked into the archetype, such as Tempest Cleric, or Draconic Sorcerer. Those ones are obvious.

Other times, I like to go a little more off the grid. Like making a 'Rainbow Sorcerer', one who specializes in casting spells that can be different colors and damage types. Only taking spells like Chromatic Orb, Chaos Bolt, Prismatic Spray, etc.

If you play in a similar way, what's a theme you've done, and how'd you like it?

Have you been trying to put one together, but the spells available aren't quite there yet?

MrStabby
2018-02-06, 11:27 AM
Playing a witch.

Used the bard chassis but had to add feats for things like find familliar. Tough to get quite the right spells at each level.

Mikal
2018-02-06, 11:29 AM
I like pyromancy mainly. I blame Rubicante from FFIV. That fiend had style.

mephnick
2018-02-06, 11:44 AM
I'd like to make one that purely manipulates/conjures physical items like Magneto..kind of. Things like Blade Barrier, Conjure Barrage, Animate Objects, a Bound Weapon, armour you can summon.

Pretty tough to get all those things in one character though..

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 11:51 AM
I like pyromancy mainly. I blame Rubicante from FFIV. That fiend had style.

LOVED him. Then again, I've played FFIV and its many incarnations about... 12? 13 times?

I don't have a problem, you do!

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 11:52 AM
I'd like to make one that purely manipulates/conjures physical items like Magneto..kind of. Things like Blade Barrier, Conjure Barrage, Animate Objects, a Bound Weapon, armour you can summon.

Ooooh, interesting!

How do you RP that? Is it controlling things with his mind, like telekinesis? Is your character exerting their will to conjure these things into existence, or drawing on a divine spirit of protection to manifest their armor / weapon?

Mikal
2018-02-06, 11:53 AM
LOVED him. Then again, I've played FFIV and its many incarnations about... 12? 13 times?

I don't have a problem, you do!

Indeed. Off Topic but actually recently busted out my PSP to play it on there again. I think that version of it is my favorite out of all of them.

But yeah, any time I start going with a Red/Gold Dragon sorcerer, I seem to get somewhat... civilized and gracious in my RP of them...

I still want to somehow create an actual PC group based off the archfiends somehow.

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 11:55 AM
Indeed. Off Topic but actually recently busted out my PSP to play it on there again. I think that version of it is my favorite out of all of them.

But yeah, any time I start going with a Red/Gold Dragon sorcerer, I seem to get somewhat... civilized and gracious in my RP of them...

I still want to somehow create an actual PC group based off the archfiends somehow.

FINALLY, someone else that appreciates the beautiful sprites of the Complete Collection!!!

As it stands, I'd like to do a Cold based mage, but there's a gap between Ice Knife and Cone of Cold. Snowball Storm is a terrible spell, and Ice Storm is pretty 'eh'.

PhantasyPen
2018-02-06, 11:56 AM
I've been working on a character for a while whose "theme" is that he's a senile old man, and as such, he doens't have as much control over his magic as he used to, so things like chromatic orb, color spray, chaos blast, and of course, wild magic sorcerer are all part of the package.

DivisibleByZero
2018-02-06, 11:56 AM
I tend to go with more "character" themes rather than "caster" themes.
Example: Halfling Paladin/Sorcerer (Favored Soul, but with Wild Magic Surge from Wild), played as a Disciple of Tymora, Goddess of Luck.

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 11:58 AM
I've been working on a character for a while whose "theme" is that he's a senile old man, and as such, he doens't have as much control over his magic as he used to, so things like chromatic orb, color spray, chaos blast, and of course, wild magic sorcerer are all part of the package.

I just finished playing a senile old man, who claimed he invented most spells.

"TENSER'S floating disc?! I made that spell years before him, Tenser was a total hack!"

Also, he forgot where he lived (his house was burned down by his own misplaced Fireball), and lived in Leomund's Tiny Hut as a result. Though if you asked him, Leomund didn't invent that spell, either.

Mikal
2018-02-06, 11:59 AM
FINALLY, someone else that appreciates the beautiful sprites of the Complete Collection!!!

As it stands, I'd like to do a Cold based mage, but there's a gap between Ice Knife and Cone of Cold. Snowball Storm is a terrible spell, and Ice Storm is pretty 'eh'.

Easiest out of game way to do it: Convince a DM to allow you to use Lore Wizard for its elemental substitutions or to hack that ability into another wizard subclass like War Mage?

Best in game way: Play a wizard, and use your downtime to research "cold" version of existing spells. Flaming Sphere? You create Ice Sphere (like in a fancy glass of whiskey but bigger).

Scorching Ray? You create Freezing Ray.

Lightning Bolt? You got Polar Blast.

And so on.

Odds are some of the effects will be modified from the original spell, as well as damage either going up or down, or different saves being targeted, but it's doable.

In addition, you get good enough with the spells and you'll be making friends with other wizards who'd love to copy down some of the choicer options for their own spell books, helping seal your immortality (in print at least. True immortality still requires lichdom).

mephnick
2018-02-06, 12:07 PM
Ooooh, interesting!

How do you RP that? Is it controlling things with his mind, like telekinesis? Is your character exerting their will to conjure these things into existence, or drawing on a divine spirit of protection to manifest their armor / weapon?

More of a telekinesis type thing, using matter around you to form the spells. Like the blades from Blade Barrier wouldn't be made of magic, but from shattered stone/metal I took from the environment, Conjure Barrage would be a dagger that I simply split into a bunch of smaller pieces of metal etc.

I guess it's just kind of a ripoff between Scryed and Full Metal Alchemist.

Magic Myrmidon
2018-02-06, 12:07 PM
I've always wanted to play a lightning mage, but the game really doesn't have enough spells to support it. I love the storm sorcerer, but actually having the spells to make it cohesive is tough. I ended up going with an extreme interpretation, saying stuff like "I'm manipulating the electrical impulses in the brain to charm person/suggest" or "I'm making the electrical impulses in the party's bodies go extremely fast for haste". Along with the GM generously allowing me to change scorching ray into shocking ray, and the like.

I've also played a mage who HATED the reputation of mages as "crazy people who only make things worse". So he only took "practical" spells. It kinda got tough as you got into higher levels, though, with stuff like baleful polymorph. He rationalized it, typically. But he would never do something like make a bugbear "FOR SCIENCE", or the like.

xroads
2018-02-06, 12:32 PM
I've often though of playing a dwarven cleric obsessed with the power of magma. To pull this off I was thinking of using the light domain and re-fluffing all of the fire spells to be lava flavored. Alternatively, I might consider druid (CoL Mountain?), due to the destruction/creation aspects of lava.

Playing a witch.

Used the bard chassis but had to add feats for things like find familliar. Tough to get quite the right spells at each level.

Out of curiosities sake, what made you choose bard as opposed to warlock with pact of the chain?

Naanomi
2018-02-06, 12:36 PM
I did a wild sorcerer who hated their magic and only knew spells without material components (and frequently used Subtle spell); ended up with a pretty thematic ‘psychic damage and teleportation’ spell list

Vogie
2018-02-06, 12:45 PM

Okay, that's awesome.

I would say it'd be something like Stone Sorcerer 10 / Forge Cleric 3 / Hexblade Bladepact Warlock 5

That'll give you:

A ton of metal-based abilities
Metamagic to mask those abilities to look less like spell casting
Creation of metal items with Channel Divinity: Artisan's Blessing
Access to Animate Objects, Telekinesis, and Spiritual Weapon (refluffed as telekinetically manipulated weapons)
Refluffing Stone Aegis as a sort of Magnetic Armor
Ability to summon a variety of weapons

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 12:46 PM
I've often though of playing a dwarven cleric obsessed with the power of magma. To pull this off I was thinking of using the light domain and re-fluffing all of the fire spells to be lava flavored. Alternatively, I might consider druid (CoL Mountain?), due to the destruction/creation aspects of lava.

Have you considered Forge Cleric? Resistance and eventual immunity to fire, Clerics get Stone Shape, Forge gets Wall of Fire (You slam your hammer into the ground, causing a fissure in the earth as flames erupt from the ground), etc?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-06, 01:04 PM
A few types of casters I’ve always enjoyed playing in any system though 5e makes it tough for some.

-Necromancer: variety of ways to do this but I’ve always liked the focus on necrotic damage and magic to do with souls over undead army or undead abomination focus.

-Pestilience and Famine: this is similar to the Necromancer I mentioned but more about being an anti-Druid/Walker in the waste/Blight guy. Sporedruid makes this a lot easier to do but I think I’ve only been able to produce it well enough with MFOV material. Bonus points if I’m able to shape into some horrific zombie/plant/infested beasts.

-Diabolist/Demonologist: with Xans this is a lot more plausible to do especially with a mix of warlock and wizard with Tiefling (perfect fit) combining my favorite class and race with the appropriate spellbook class.

If you’ve noticed I’ve mentioned a lot of very easily assumed evil caster types. But I think there’s a way to play each of these without being completely evil. Maybe not good,
But neutral? Yes. Though I definitetly toe that line.

Besides that close combat mage (kite > tank), Black mage (destruction magic focused), and lightning mages are all interesting to play as well.

Joe the Rat
2018-02-06, 01:16 PM
Something I did once in Pathfinder and would like to try again for 5e is a fake monk. All of your spells are built around simulating or exaggerating monk abilities. All the touch spells you can find, jump, feather fall, mage armor, expeditious retreat, spider climb... and a variety of hadoken / kamehameha attacks. All your somatic components look vaguely like you learned kung fu from late 70's television.

Take Crossbow expert, and any spell can be a punch. Kind of a waste of feat if you never get near a crossbow, but a sorcerer's firebolt fist, or a warlock with agonizing repelling fist has great potential.

I've also threatened people with Tentacle Rod, Old One Warlock.
Guess which spells he uses.

strangebloke
2018-02-06, 01:44 PM
Regarding all the people who want to play an elementalist but lack the spells...

See if you can talk your DM into homebrewing a metamagic option that for 1 sp let's you transfer between lightning, cold, fire, and acid damage. It certainly isn't overpowered, and conceptualizing how a spell changes shapes is just cool.

Like, think of Storm Sphere as an acid-based spell. A giant quivering storm of yellowish mist that condenses into bolts of acid which it launches at foes.

This really opens things up, such that fire dragon sorcerer is no longer far and away the best option.

xroads
2018-02-06, 02:37 PM
Have you considered Forge Cleric? Resistance and eventual immunity to fire, Clerics get Stone Shape, Forge gets Wall of Fire (You slam your hammer into the ground, causing a fissure in the earth as flames erupt from the ground), etc?

Interesting possibility. Hadn't thought of it before.

Though to be honest, I feel like I'd be locked into the whole forge worshiping aspect as opposed to the lava one. Especially since most of the forge domain abilities might be hard to fluff as lava related.

Still, it has possibilities.

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 02:40 PM
Interesting possibility. Hadn't thought of it before.

Though to be honest, I feel like I'd be locked into the whole forge worshiping aspect as opposed to the lava one. Especially since most of the forge domain abilities might be hard to fluff as lava related.

Still, it has possibilities.

Kossuth. Check 'em out.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-06, 04:01 PM
Most wizards can be role-played as Doctor Strange. You too can be Burrito Supreme.

Kane0
2018-02-06, 04:15 PM
My top three are the insanity mage (enchantment and illusion focus), the thermomancer (fire and cold spells) and the Telekinetic (force and movement magic)

I also really like the concept of a mage that can pass off as not actually doing anything, either using subtle spell a lot or by using spells that have no obvious and visible effects, like charms.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-06, 04:19 PM
I just finished playing a senile old man, who claimed he invented most spells. "TENSER'S floating disc?! I made that spell years before him, Tenser was a total hack!" Also, he forgot where he lived (his house was burned down by his own misplaced Fireball), and lived in Leomund's Tiny Hut as a result. Though if you asked him, Leomund didn't invent that spell, either. Love your show. :smallbiggrin:

My response:
Tempest Cleric is a great fit for theme and spells together. I am hoping our campaign with my tempest cleric gets revived, I was having much fun with him.

Other:
Warlock who pretends he's a bard.
Entertainer background, proficiency with music, deception, persuasion, stealth, etc.

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 04:59 PM
Love your show

I actually don’t know what this references... I don’t have a show.

Arkhios
2018-02-06, 05:04 PM
Ever since 4th edition changed Sonic damage type to Thunder, I've found that whenever I play a character (in D&D at least) that can cast spells to deal damage, I'm drawn towards spells that deal either thunder or lightning damage, or spells that are otherwise related with storm.

...There's just something so primal about lightning and thunder which I like ...a lot!

MrStabby
2018-02-06, 05:10 PM
Out of curiosities sake, what made you choose bard as opposed to warlock with pact of the chain?

There were some spells I needed not on the warlock list or support lists. Well by needed I mean were thematically appropriate. I think polymorphism was one (although an invocation would sort that). There was some healing (magic initiate could solve). More charm spells, bestow curse, effective use of bane... Magical secrets got me some of the druid aspects as well - i think moonbeam might have been one.

If I were to do the same now I would probably beg to use the land druid base class with a custom spell list.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-06, 05:21 PM
I played a cartomancer in Pathfinder, the ones who throw cards to cast their spells.

However I played it as a taoist monk who threw paper prayer talismans to cast his spells.

Even went harrower afterward.

Not a powerful build but had more flavor than KFC.

5e.

My current character is a monk drunken master who has been reflavored as a master chef instead of a drunk. Proficiency in cooks rools, herbalism kits and brewers kits.

Even dresses like a proper chef including a chef hat.

Fights with meat cleavers, just for the look.

Kane0
2018-02-06, 05:23 PM
Hmm, a solar flavored mage would be interesting. Take Moonbeam, Crown of Stars, Meteor Swarm, etc and really play up the 'rods from god'

Easy_Lee
2018-02-06, 05:54 PM
Hmm, a solar flavored mage would be interesting. Take Moonbeam, Crown of Stars, Meteor Swarm, etc and really play up the 'rods from god'

You can more or less do that with a sun soul monk, inside a magic field no less, but it's not actually a spell caster.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-06, 05:59 PM
I actually don’t know what this references... I don’t have a show. This might be the same thing I tell a stand up comedian after he walks off stage.
"love your show" is a compliment to what you are bringing to the room ...

Another version of this sentiment is "I find your point interesting wish to subscribe to your newsletter..." also a compliment.

I forgot to mention: my Tempest Cleric was made before the EE supplement came out. After that came out, the DM let me drop one cantrip and pick up thunderclap as a thematically appropriate cantrip.

white lancer
2018-02-06, 06:21 PM
We had one campaign where we spent most of our time fleeing from our various enemies. So my list was full of spells that could help me/my party escape or hide: Invisibility, Rope Trick, Haste, Fly, Invisibility, Dimension Door...there's a surprising amount of variety and utility in those types of spells, even if we usually used them to run away! Call it "The Rincewind."

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-06, 06:22 PM
-Necromancer: variety of ways to do this but I’ve always liked the focus on necrotic damage and magic to do with souls over undead army or undead abomination focus.

Well, I wouldn't mind being able to focus on undead abominations. As in, one or two powerful minions, as opposed to a dozen or so weak skeletons/zombies. However, as far as I'm aware, that's not currently an option.

Out of interest, how effective do you find focusing on Necrotic damage? I ask because most of the necrotic-damage spells seem pretty poor, and if you don't animate the dead then you're missing out on some key features of the necromancer? Or do you not actually use the Necromancer subclass for this?

Vogie
2018-02-06, 09:19 PM
Out of interest, how effective do you find focusing on Necrotic damage? I ask because most of the necrotic-damage spells seem pretty poor, and if you don't animate the dead then you're missing out on some key features of the necromancer? Or do you not actually use the Necromancer subclass for this?

Maybe mix in some Death Cleric as part of the build?

jaappleton
2018-02-06, 09:23 PM
Here’s a question:

In a thematic spellcaster, assuming you’re going for a damage type, how many damage spells do you actually need?

Two? Three?

Let’s say I want to make a Radiant based character. I’m an Aasimar, my backstory is that I’m a Solar that’s been ‘humbled’ to see what it’s like with the lesser folk.

Let’s say I’m a Divine Soul. 9th Level.

Guiding Bolt
Spirit Guardians
Sickening Radiance or Dawn

That kinda covers everything, doesn’t it? Would I need more damage spells, do you think, or would the rest of the spells known be available to round out the theme?

ImproperJustice
2018-02-06, 09:31 PM
Maybe he’s not that original but I have been running Nexus, a Phoenix Folk Hero who uses a mask as his arcane focus and carries himself like a campy 60’s superhero.

He is the master of the four elements and each cantrip and spell selection has revolved around balancing a mix of earth, fire, water, and air spells.

He hs been a lot of fun, especially when he “burns with righteousness justice” aka Phoenix Mantle.

Kane0
2018-02-06, 09:43 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind being able to focus on undead abominations. As in, one or two powerful minions, as opposed to a dozen or so weak skeletons/zombies. However, as far as I'm aware, that's not currently an option.

With DM approval, calculate the XP value of your minions and trade them for something else of the same value or less.

I’ve done this with a couple different summon spells, not really unbalancing in my experience. Especially considering that the alternative could be a squad of pixies

MxKit
2018-02-06, 09:47 PM
Warlock who pretends he's a bard.
Entertainer background, proficiency with music, deception, persuasion, stealth, etc.

Oh, I like this one. I've done "High Elf Warlock who pretends he's a Wizard, Pact of the Tome, Charlatan background, proficiencies with Arcana and Deception among others, a wizardly-looking staff as an arcane focus, a wizardly-looking hat just because, prestidigitation as one of his cantrips" before, and that one's awesome.

In the future, I'm hoping a DM will allow me to summon swarms of insects with the conjure animals spell. You can't summon swarms using that spell, but I want to specifically because I want to do a Shepherd Druid/GOO Bladelock multiclass where she has a spider familiar (via Ritual Caster), has the Cloak of Flies invocation, and just in general summons all of the insects.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-06, 11:14 PM

Vogie is definitely correct. Best way to play this has been death cleric, with either warlock(undying), sorcerer (for metamagic), or necromancer wizard (for level 2 ability).

For pure damage probably can't get better than Death Cleric 17/Sorcerer (shadow? i wonder if you can do shadow dragon ? Divine soul with evil?) 3.

for undead abominations....Well Create Undead lets you make some Mummies, Necromancer wizard has a way to get mummy LORDS. and if you ever found a book of vile darkness theres all sorts of things you can do.
Edit: also Kane_0 has a good solution.

Thisguy_
2018-02-06, 11:19 PM
I'm currently playing a beekeeper who met an enormous Fey Queen of Bees and learned the basics of magic from her. He's a wizard who only takes spells if he can reflavor them as somehow relating to bees - a fireball being an enormous swarm of bees either vomiting or stinging to inject chemicals that heat themselves rapidly on mixing, for example.

His Phantom Steed is a waxen skeleton in a honey suspension which simulates flesh. As opposed to organs, a complex mechanical system of waxen cogs, wheels, axels, etc, and silken belts. Inside, bees slowly float about as if flying in slow motion. It has a glossy, semitransparent waxen skin. A pleasure to ride on!

Teleportation? Bees! Illusions? Bees! He's a conjurer, so anything he creates using Minor Creation is made of some kind of magically-infused wax. MFer even looks kinda beeish. Weird as he is, he's one of my favorite characters to date - and is super fun to play.

He's picked up Conjure Minor Elementals recently. He'll be summoning Magmins - in the shape of wasps.

jaappleton
2018-02-07, 09:43 AM
I'm currently playing a beekeeper who met an enormous Fey Queen of Bees and learned the basics of magic from her. He's a wizard who only takes spells if he can reflavor them as somehow relating to bees - a fireball being an enormous swarm of bees either vomiting or stinging to inject chemicals that heat themselves rapidly on mixing, for example.

His Phantom Steed is a waxen skeleton in a honey suspension which simulates flesh. As opposed to organs, a complex mechanical system of waxen cogs, wheels, axels, etc, and silken belts. Inside, bees slowly float about as if flying in slow motion. It has a glossy, semitransparent waxen skin. A pleasure to ride on!

Teleportation? Bees! Illusions? Bees! He's a conjurer, so anything he creates using Minor Creation is made of some kind of magically-infused wax. MFer even looks kinda beeish. Weird as he is, he's one of my favorite characters to date - and is super fun to play.

He's picked up Conjure Minor Elementals recently. He'll be summoning Magmins - in the shape of wasps.

You need the spell Insect Plague :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: This actually reminds me of a story I read. Low level party had a Warforged... Something. I forget the class.

Somehow they're being attacked by bees. Fighter takes the nest, opens up the Warforged, and shoves it in there. Warforged starts taking levels in Druid. Starts using Bee attacks. After a party member died, the Warforged cried.... tears of honey.

jaappleton
2018-02-07, 02:49 PM
Vogie is definitely correct. Best way to play this has been death cleric, with either warlock(undying), sorcerer (for metamagic), or necromancer wizard (for level 2 ability).

For pure damage probably can't get better than Death Cleric 17/Sorcerer (shadow? i wonder if you can do shadow dragon ? Divine soul with evil?) 3.

for undead abominations....Well Create Undead lets you make some Mummies, Necromancer wizard has a way to get mummy LORDS. and if you ever found a book of vile darkness theres all sorts of things you can do.
Edit: also Kane_0 has a good solution.

If you’re allowing Unearthed Arcana...

Wizard Death Theurge because they get Enervation, with some Sorcerer levels to Twin.

Honest Tiefling
2018-02-07, 03:20 PM
Playing a witch.

What can I say, it's not as well-defined as other archetypes, but it has a certain charm to it. Strong enough to be quite thematic, but flexible enough to actually work. Also works well with the tiefling race.

Phrasing! Did you enjoy penetrating the enemy? Your rods seem ineffectual last combat, don't worry, that happens to all men. It's not the size of the rod, but how you use it.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-07, 03:34 PM
What can I say, it's not as well-defined as other archetypes, but it has a certain charm to it. Strong enough to be quite thematic, but flexible enough to actually work. Also works well with the tiefling race.

Everything's better with Tieflings. :smallbiggrin:

Phrasing! Did you enjoy penetrating the enemy? Your rods seem ineffectual last combat, don't worry, that happens to all men. It's not the size of the rod, but how you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwPveuJjp9k

Incidentally, I played a Tiefling with a Broom of Flying a while back. Many similar jokes were made, particularly when he gave others lifts on it ("That's it, just grab my enormous pole.").

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-07, 03:34 PM
If you’re allowing Unearthed Arcana...

Wizard Death Theurge because they get Enervation, with some Sorcerer levels to Twin.

I mean.... I didn’t and yes wizard death Theurge is best at this as well.

tieren
2018-02-07, 03:46 PM
I've been wanting to build out a teleportation based character ala Nightcrawler (x-men).

Perhaps a swashbuckling rogue who also happens to somehow get misty step, blink, dimension door, arcane gate, etc...

D-naras
2018-02-07, 04:24 PM
My current character is a Bladesinger that tries to emulate her hero, a mythical Efreeti adventurer that operated ages ago. Her goal is to carry on her mantle, finding her magical items and proving that she is just as great a hero as the Efreet.

She has an Arabian nights theme going; she fights with a flametongue scimitar, her bladedance is a belly dance and she uses fire spells with her bread and butter spell being Melf's Minute Meteors that she conjures and flings while blade dancing. It rocks mechanicaly too: First round: Action = spell, B. Action = Bladedance. Subsequent rounds: Action = Attack, B. Action = fling Meteors. All while rocking high AC and concentration bonuses.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-07, 06:12 PM
I've been wanting to build out a teleportation based character ala Nightcrawler (x-men).

Perhaps a swashbuckling rogue who also happens to somehow get misty step, blink, dimension door, arcane gate, etc...

I found the only goo way to replicate this is Mystic with Nomadic Step discipline. don't have to be a Nomad but it helps.

Other ways would be Horizon walker. Eladrin of course is the race though bonus points for blue tieflings and going Feylock for 6 levels to really commmit to it.

Swashbuckler 3/Feylock 6/horizon walker 11/Nomad 1?

Kane0
2018-02-07, 06:20 PM
I found the only goo way to replicate this is Mystic with Nomadic Step discipline. don't have to be a Nomad but it helps.

Other ways would be Horizon walker. Eladrin of course is the race though bonus points for blue tieflings and going Feylock for 6 levels to really commmit to it.

Swashbuckler 3/Feylock 6/horizon walker 11/Nomad 1?

That's level 21 :smallamused:

Eladrin Feylock 6 / Horizon Walker 12 / Mystic or Rogue 2 ?
High Elf with their racial feat is also an option.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-07, 07:06 PM
That's level 21 :smallamused:

Eladrin Feylock 6 / Horizon Walker 12 / Mystic or Rogue 2 ?
High Elf with their racial feat is also an option.

curses i mis counted. might as well to Mystic over rogue, more teleports.

Also High elf? Kurt can't be a high elf. thats just wrong.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-02-07, 07:49 PM
I've also threatened people with Tentacle Rod, Old One Warlock.
Guess which spells he uses.
Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion?

XmonkTad
2018-02-08, 09:54 AM
The "and next you're going to say..." Diviner. Reading minds with detect thoughts is great, but portent is just amazing for those finishing blows.

Also, I like the one-trick pony casters. There's no 5e equivalent of the Force Missile Mage who specializes in magic missile, but it kinda works as an ultimate magus type sorcerer/wizard hybrid.

jaappleton
2018-02-08, 11:03 AM
The "and next you're going to say..." Diviner. Reading minds with detect thoughts is great, but portent is just amazing for those finishing blows.

Also, I like the one-trick pony casters. There's no 5e equivalent of the Force Missile Mage who specializes in magic missile, but it kinda works as an ultimate magus type sorcerer/wizard hybrid.

My friend played a child Wizard in 4E, and fluffed it that Magic Missile was the only spell he had actually 'mastered', so that was his go-to. Loved that character.

XmonkTad
2018-02-08, 12:07 PM
My friend played a child Wizard in 4E, and fluffed it that Magic Missile was the only spell he had actually 'mastered', so that was his go-to. Loved that character.

That sounds amazing. I never played 4e, but 5e has basically no support for this kind of play style. Overchannel, quicken, and... that's it I think.

tieren
2018-02-08, 12:18 PM
curses i mis counted. might as well to Mystic over rogue, more teleports.

Also High elf? Kurt can't be a high elf. thats just wrong.

I don't like using the mystic in its current form.

I was also thinking shadow monk might work instead of swashbuckler (for more of the kick and flip feel).

jaappleton
2018-02-08, 12:20 PM
I don't like using the mystic in its current form.

I was also thinking shadow monk might work instead of swashbuckler (for more of the kick and flip feel).

Short Swords are allowed to be Monk Weapons. I think nearly any DM would allow you to wield a Scimitar in its place, since Kurt often used a blade in combat at times.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-08, 12:41 PM
Storm mage (lightning, thunder, some cold, water and wind, depending on what's available).

Non-living nature focused druid (actually Tempest cleric with spell list switched for druid's, taking elemental spells)

Psion (also known as GOOlock)

And sometimes, I just want to set everything on fire. Everything.

mormon_soldier
2018-02-08, 01:15 PM
I'm building a wild mage sorcerer/wizard multiclass. I figure, even if you are inherently magical, it makes sense that you'd want to learn how to control your powers.

jaappleton
2018-02-09, 10:43 AM
Here's a question for everyone that's played a themed caster:

How difficult is it to restrict yourself to the spells your character would actually know?

For example, if I'm going for a Cold theme:

I'd know Ice Knife. I'd know Hold Person, as I 'freeze' an opponent. I don't think I'd know Fly. If I were Lightning based, I totally would. But I don't see Fly fitting too well into a Cold theme.

Maybe that's a poor example, but I think you know what I'm saying.

How tough is it to consciously pass on some of the 'better' spells in favor of what your character would know?

MrStabby
2018-02-09, 10:59 AM

I see what you did there!

Yes, there is huge support for witchy things in 5th edition. You just need to pick your flavour: charms and illusions in Fey style, diabolical witchcraft, nature themed, "white" witch themed.

How difficult is it to restrict yourself to the spells your character would actually know?

I'd know Ice Knife. I'd know Hold Person, as I 'freeze' an opponent. I don't think I'd know Fly. If I were Lightning based, I totally would. But I don't see Fly fitting too well into a Cold theme.

How tough is it to consciously pass on some of the 'better' spells in favor of what your character would know?

It is a bit of a woolly questions really. You get core spells that are at the heart of your theme - the ones that make your character. Then there are those allied to the theme but not part of the core. Then there are those that are completely unrelated. Sometimes I am happy to have a couple of spells a little out of line - with the expectation that they will not be frequently used, which brings us on to...

As for "restricting" this is also difficult to define as it is a mix of having access to a spell and regularly casting that spell. Say I wanted a "magma" themed caster - defined as a mix of elemental earth and elemental fire themes I can know spells associated with each but chances are that if I want to do damage I would be falling back on fireball. I can have a theme but I do find it hard to then play that theme sometimes. Picking the spells is much easier.

I think the trick is to find a theme that isn't particularly restrictive and has some spells that fill multiple roles.

When I played a witch the biggest problem was everything was a concentration spell. I had only a pretty limited set of spells that didn't need concentration so what I ended up doing turn to turn was a little off what I had planned as the character theme.

tieren
2018-02-09, 11:11 AM

I had a Sea Sorcerer (UA) who was ended up themed to cold and lightning (class features gave extra effects to those spells). So even though firebolt would have been a bit of a more optimized attack cantrip, I ended up using frost bite, shocking grasp, or ray of frost, etc...

Personally I preferred the RP aspect of the theme over the more min/max approach. Sure fireball would have been a better damage choice sometimes, but dropping a sleet storm fit the character better and we worked with it.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-09, 11:17 AM
I had a Sea Sorcerer (UA) who was ended up themed to cold and lightning (class features gave extra effects to those spells). So even though firebolt would have been a bit of a more optimized attack cantrip, I ended up using frost bite, shocking grasp, or ray of frost, etc...

Personally I preferred the RP aspect of the theme over the more min/max approach. Sure fireball would have been a better damage choice sometimes, but dropping a sleet storm fit the character better and we worked with it.

It completely depends on your DM and how much those utility and other element spells are needed.

If you don't fight a lot of people with immunity to your chosen theme then you are fine.

If you are going for an enchanter and charmer type bard and are in a campaign with a ton of undead, yeah that can be a problem.

jaappleton
2018-02-09, 11:46 AM
I was just trying to think of a good theme, and I realized how well (since the new spells in Xan's, especially) an Archfey Warlock can be an excellent 'vampire' style character.

Eladrin
Archfey
(Whatever Pact you want, they all work well for different reasons)

Between Fey Presence, Misty Escape, Fey Step, Darkness, Greater Invisibility, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, Vampiric Touch, Enervation, Shadow of Moil, Far Step....

This works out incredibly well. That's not even counting the Invocations, or getting specific with the Pact.

Huh. I... didn't really expect that.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-09, 11:53 AM

This quite a broad question - it will likely depend on the caster, the theme (how broad or narrow it is) and how strictly you adhere to it.

In terms of casters, a Warlock with Eldritch Blast (and Agonising Blast) will always have a really solid attack, even when his other spells are situational or mediocre. On the other hand, a sorcerer who uses his few known spells on situational/bad/inflexible ones could really struggle.

In terms of themes, Cold certainly has less support than, say, Fire, so you're already going to lack choice when it comes to damage spells. I can see why you'd place Fly off-limits, but I think you could also come up with a reason for him to learn it if you wanted to (it's not like Lightning is any better at making people fly :smallwink:). You've got Cold-themed dragons that fly, you've got arctic birds, you could be lifted by cold winds etc.. As above, it really depends how far you're willing to reach or refluff the spells you want.

Another consideration is how you use the spells you have. For example, let's say your Cold wizard took Polymorph. Would he cast it normally? Or would he only ever turn himself/others into Cold/Arctic forms (Wolves, Polar Bears, Foxes etc.)?

In terms of how hard it is, well, that depends. It can certainly be hard to pass over a good spell (though, as with Fly above, many good ones can be refluffed without too much trouble). However, it might also be nice to have a reason to pick and use spells you wouldn't normally bother with. Some may even find it helpful. For example, sorcerers can learn very few spells, so some may well appreciate having the pool of available spells artificially lowered to make the choice that much easier.

My advice (based on personal experience) would be:

- Make sure you have *at least* one good damage cantrip. If your normal spells are situational/substandard, then you're liable to be even more reliant on your cantrips. If they're not good either, then you're really going to struggle.

- Consider your theme carefully. If it seems rigid, think about whether you could reasonably expand it or approach it from a different angle.

Not long ago, I made a sorcerer with a vague 'vampire' theme. I was initially thinking 'necrotic', however, since there weren't many vampiric/necrotic spells, I tried to go with a necrotic/cold theme instead. It was awful. It played really badly, throwing out ineffectual cantrips and spells that never did anything.

So I asked for advice on this forum and it was suggested that I take the vampire theme in a different direction. Instead of focusing on the necrotic aspect, I should focus on other areas - charming/mind-affecting gaze (stuff like Suggestion, Slow, Enemies Abound), Mist Form (Misty Step), Flight/Climbing, shapeshifting etc.

Anyway, my DM kindly allowed me to swap out some of my spells (rather than just 1 per level), and it's vastly better. It's more effective, more thematic (IMO) and much more fun.

I guess my main advice would be 'don't adhere rigidly to your theme if doing so will reduce your overall enjoyment'.

Vogie
2018-02-09, 12:29 PM

And you can also ask your DM if there's a way to make pseudo-homebrew version of other energy spells into your theme. They know you're not trying to gerrymander your way past resistances, but trying to give yourself a better spell selection to fit your theme.

Create Bonfire becomes Create Stalagmite for an earth sorcerer (force damage) or Ice Trap for cryomancer (cold damage) - but loses the flammable quality. Shocking Grasp may become Burning Grasp, Venomous Grasp, or Chilling Grasp, but loses the "advantage if target is wearing metal armor" clause. Maybe Stoneskin can be Ice Armor, Sandskin, or whatever - the effect is the same, just without the word "stone" in the title.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-09, 01:26 PM

If you can summon a chunk of ice and throw it at the enemy, there's no reason why you couldn't also summon a chunk of ice, stand on it, and throw it into whatever direction you want to fly to.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/02795667de3a5198058a5a11d695366c/tenor.gif

mr-mercer
2018-02-09, 01:53 PM
I tend to run into this a lot on the few times I try to make casters, because I generally prefer specialisation to versatility: when making characters I have less problems with not being able to do a thing I want to do and more with finding things I can do that I don't want the character to do, homebrew notwithstanding (gaining spells that aren't based around lightning, for instance).

Like many here I've been interested in creating a lightning mage for a while, though the furthest I've gotten in terms of flavour and personality is "hardcore weatherman". I do also like the idea of creating a "knife wizard" who only learns spells related to blades or which help him stab people better (conjuring blade barriers, teleporting behind the enemy for a sneaky stab to the back of the face) which I suspect the bladesinger would be most suitable for, though I admit I haven't looked at the wizard stuff too closely. I do kind of want it to be a wizard rather than hexblade warlock, though, simply because I find it funnier that way for some reason.

Speaking of warlocks, I have a tendency of trying to make them more martial than I really should: at the moment one of the project characters I'm working on is seeing if I can replicate Vergil from Devil May Cry 3 as a hexblade warlock, complete with teleportation and eldritch blast reflavoured as summoned swords. I do like the idea of reflavouring that spell as spectral weapons used as projectiles quite a lot (one of my earliest characters was a warlock whose eldritch blast took the form of an ethereal spear, and I've been tossing around the idea of conjuring spectral flintlocks in a more pirate-heavy setting: I'd probably do something like reflavour fireball to be a summoned cannon too, so I'd presumably play as a fiend warlock for that one).

Talionis
2018-02-09, 05:46 PM
Has anyone done a marionette themed spell caster... Animate Object is obvious but what else could be on theme? How would you build it?

MrStabby
2018-02-09, 06:18 PM
Has anyone done a marionette themed spell caster... Animate Object is obvious but what else could be on theme? How would you build it?

To use people as marionettes you can go for mind control - dominate spells for example. Physical manipulation - make hand, telekinesis, bigby's hand. Animate dead also springs to mind.

Picking out something for the low level spells (MH aside) is tough though. Maybe an invisible familiar could have a role?

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-09, 07:15 PM

I'd probably use a Great Old One warlock.

It gets a lot of thematic spells: Puppet, Dissonant Whispers, Phantasmal Force, Dominate Beast, Dominate Person, Telekinesis etc.

And, at lv14, you can basically turn someone into your permanent puppet.

Incidentally, I love the idea of a marionette-themed caster. Would you mind if I pinched it?

Talionis
2018-02-09, 09:21 PM
I'd probably use a Great Old One warlock.

It gets a lot of thematic spells: Puppet, Dissonant Whispers, Phantasmal Force, Dominate Beast, Dominate Person, Telekinesis etc.

And, at lv14, you can basically turn someone into your permanent puppet.

Incidentally, I love the idea of a marionette-themed caster. Would you mind if I pinched it?

Pinch away. I'm very interested in a character that would not fight himself. Maybe a refluffed summoner... I haven't thought of a real good way to do it.

No brains
2018-02-09, 11:17 PM
I think playing any cleric is a strong enough theme for me because it gives me a tie to the lore of the setting. As a cleric, I'm not just some jerk who has magic somehow, I'm a prophet of a well-known power in the setting who is out to expand upon the established legends. It gives me a purpose in playing my character's role, whether I heal out of compassion, control out of pride, or smite out of wrath. Being a cleric of any stripe comes with a full host of answers to 'why do I care about what's going on' and 'what am I going to do about it?'

Sinon
2018-02-10, 12:11 AM
My theme is trauma. My story is a clown, working for a circus, who let himself get involved in a confidence scheme. It went badly, and he was the one who was exposed and punished – crucified on a “tree of woe”. His Great Old One pact represents his trading his unified identity for his life.

I dumped Wisdom to reflect my disconnect from reality. The telepathy from that pact is because he is no longer able to communicate normally. (Everyone loves a mime, right?)

He has Mask of Many Faces, so he takes on the appearance of others, and in their guises, he is able to talk aloud.

As a half elf, instead of a free skill, I took proficiency in Dragon Chess. I take trophies of important enemies. I also steal trinkets from my friends. The chess pieces are being replaced with these trinkets and trophies. During short rests, I work to solve a chess problem that is in reality a symbolic reenactment of my trauma, with the chess pieces representing fragments of my shattered psyche. I try to solve the chess problem, but I also have to continually rearrange the pieces to properly represent my fragmented mind. When I have the proper solution, I’ll have the power to put my mind aright.

The character is sort of a downer, but his familiar is built on a separate theme: Sh*tty Tinkerbell.
She’s a sprite, but loud, brash, crass, prone to substance abuse, unable to communicate without profanity, obsessed with her big, and ready to rumble with anyone who messes with him.

LeonBH
2018-02-10, 12:28 AM
My theme is trauma. My story is a clown, working for a circus, who let himself get involved in a confidence scheme. It went badly, and he was the one who was exposed and punished – crucified on a “tree of woe”. His Great Old One pact represents his trading his unified identity for his life.

I dumped Wisdom to reflect my disconnect from reality. The telepathy from that pact is because he is no longer able to communicate normally. (Everyone loves a mime, right?)

He has Mask of Many Faces, so he takes on the appearance of others, and in their guises, he is able to talk aloud.

As a half elf, instead of a free skill, I took proficiency in Dragon Chess. I take trophies of important enemies. I also steal trinkets from my friends. The chess pieces are being replaced with these trinkets and trophies. During short rests, I work to solve a chess problem that is in reality a symbolic reenactment of my trauma, with the chess pieces representing fragments of my shattered psyche. I try to solve the chess problem, but I also have to continually rearrange the pieces to properly represent my fragmented mind. When I have the proper solution, I’ll have the power to put my mind aright.

The character is sort of a downer, but his familiar is built on a separate theme: Sh*tty Tinkerbell.
She’s a sprite, but loud, brash, crass, prone to substance abuse, unable to communicate without profanity, obsessed with her big, and ready to rumble with anyone who messes with him.

I love it. Very very interesting angle.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-10, 05:29 AM
Going back to the marionette idea, what if the caster was himself a puppet - forced to do the bidding of an evil/possessed doll?

If he's a warlock, perhaps his Tome or Familiar could be refluffed as said doll.

Unoriginal
2018-02-10, 06:27 AM
Not a build, but the Apprentice Wizard NPC statblock is great.

I think they really captured the feel of what a run-of-the-mill beginning magic user would be in the D&D world, in a very simple and elegant manner.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-10, 11:11 AM
Going back to the marionette idea, what if the caster was himself a puppet - forced to do the bidding of an evil/possessed doll?

If he's a warlock, perhaps his Tome or Familiar could be refluffed as said doll.

Not great stats but what about a hexblade pact of the chain Warforged made of all wood.

Your imp familiar takes the shape of a wooden marionette that looks just like you.

Voice of the chain master to talk perfectly through you marionette.

Honest Tiefling
2018-02-10, 03:23 PM
To answer jaapleton's inquiry, I think two approaches are best:

Firstly, play with another caster, or even two. Being thematic is great when you are trying to avoid stepping on other people's toes.

Secondly, expand the theme. 'Ice' is nice and all, but what about 'Snowstorm' or 'Artic Survival'? Still packing the cold spells, unlike the storm based variant (which is still a strong theme in my mind, but I wanted to present another idea), but you get to work in some wind/flight for the first, and some utility in the second.

Another idea that works well for wizards is to ask yourself, what would this wizardly tradition DO? Perhaps they are necromancers in charge of the dead, or diviners who ask the elements. Perhaps they are traders, so get some social or item spells.

Bobby Baratheon
2018-02-10, 03:42 PM
I'm also a lightning mage at heart - I always have been since I started playing D&D at the age of 12 to fry suckers with lightning Palpatine-style. Last time I made it work, I worked with the DM to make a few custom spells that helped round out the spell list, but mostly it was just quickening lightning bolt and laughing like a maniac. We did import this cool feat from 3.5 that let gave you claws (being a dragon sorcerer) and let you combine them with a melee spell, so he did have some pretty nasty shocking grasps. Fun times all round.

The other concept I've always been drawn to is a dedicated fear mage, which I feel isn't really a thing in 5e. My 3.5 dread witch was one of my favorite characters ever, and it was awesome both mechanically and viscerally to reduce the enemy to quivering wrecks for the party to clean up. I also really liked how fear was complex enough to be interesting but not hard to understand, but eh. I'm making a mystic for this new campaign I'm in with the sole purpose of putting the fear into (hostile) NPCs again.

jaappleton
2018-02-10, 04:12 PM
I'm also a lightning mage at heart - I always have been since I started playing D&D at the age of 12 to fry suckers with lightning Palpatine-style. Last time I made it work, I worked with the DM to make a few custom spells that helped round out the spell list, but mostly it was just quickening lightning bolt and laughing like a maniac. We did import this cool feat from 3.5 that let gave you claws (being a dragon sorcerer) and let you combine them with a melee spell, so he did have some pretty nasty shocking grasps. Fun times all round.

The other concept I've always been drawn to is a dedicated fear mage, which I feel isn't really a thing in 5e. My 3.5 dread witch was one of my favorite characters ever, and it was awesome both mechanically and viscerally to reduce the enemy to quivering wrecks for the party to clean up. I also really liked how fear was complex enough to be interesting but not hard to understand, but eh. I'm making a mystic for this new campaign I'm in with the sole purpose of putting the fear into (hostile) NPCs again.

I also have a love of Lightning. It’s a shame that there isn’t a good Ranged Lightning Cantrip.

Shocking grasp is good, but it’s Touch. And Lightning Lure has its purpose, but it pulls enemies closer. If I’m a Sorcerer, with my d6 HD, that’s far from ideal.

MrStabby
2018-02-10, 05:29 PM
I think that this is one of the things that we lost with the changes in metamagic coming to 5th. In 3rd you could usefully use metamagic to power up spells from a higher level spell slot. You didn't care if there were no good 4rh level lightning spells if your 3rd level ones from a 4rh level slot are good enough. A paltry extra d6 on a lightning bolt doesn't cut it.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-10, 05:33 PM
It still seems weird to me that one of the PHB classes (the Dragon Disciple) is based around using elemental spells. However, only one element (Fire) is well-represented - the others have to make do with dubious cantrips and a mere handful of spells at intermittent levels.

Even with the subsequent releases, most of the elements are still poorly represented in terms of spells. :smallconfused:

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-10, 06:09 PM
I'm running a White Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut, fluffed as a Human-looking Half-Dragon. She picked up a level of Divine Soul Sorc, and I grabbed Ray of Frost as her ranged attack cantrip.

I went for a frigid Noblewoman kind of vibe, and I'm liking it so far. I might have a look at the other spells and see about fluffing them as something frost related too.
I'm not gonna go full Elsa, though. She lacks the prof in Performance for singing like that..

Sigreid
2018-02-10, 08:02 PM

I've got a storm sorcerer I've been keeping on theme. it's worked pretty well so far though I have to admit that my real power so far comes from his charisma and chutzpah.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-10, 11:37 PM
I also have a love of Lightning. It’s a shame that there isn’t a good Ranged Lightning Cantrip.

Shocking grasp is good, but it’s Touch. And Lightning Lure has its purpose, but it pulls enemies closer. If I’m a Sorcerer, with my d6 HD, that’s far from ideal.

seems really odd to me that the classic 'lightning bolt' spam from other games isnt in D&D 5e.

Def needs to be a Jolt cantrinp or Static Bolt. Ranged spell attack lighting damage. Thats really all i want and need for my lighting shooter.

XmonkTad
2018-02-11, 12:25 AM

Oh man I loved my 3.5 dread witch. It was one of my favorites. Fear was a lot more complicated, as to shaken and such being "ramping up" conditions. I guess exhaustion does that in this edition, but making an "exhaustion mage" would be pretty difficult. Then again, since you can die of exhaustion...

Requilac
2018-02-11, 10:37 PM
seems really odd to me that the classic 'lightning bolt' spam from other games isnt in D&D 5e.

Def needs to be a Jolt cantrinp or Static Bolt. Ranged spell attack lighting damage. Thats really all i want and need for my lighting shooter.

You could just change the damage type of a pre-existing Cantrip. A lot of people’s image of EB is already lightning related anyhow, especially with the “crackling beam of energy” part. Changing fire bolt to lightning damage would be quite easy. Ray of frost seems like a good choice too as the decrease in movement speed is quite easily explained by electric trauma.

Bobby Baratheon
2018-02-12, 02:39 AM
Oh man I loved my 3.5 dread witch. It was one of my favorites. Fear was a lot more complicated, as to shaken and such being "ramping up" conditions. I guess exhaustion does that in this edition, but making an "exhaustion mage" would be pretty difficult. Then again, since you can die of exhaustion...

That would be a cool archetype - exhausting enemies until they died would be kind of sweet.

Afrodactyl
2018-02-12, 03:11 AM
I love making themed casters. If I can make it with a warlock, I'll use a warlock. If not, I'll use a sorcerer, or druid if I want any sort of wild shape shenanigans.

I've dipped a toe into cleric and bard, mostly using cleric as a gish/frontliner.

I've yet to touch wizards, I'm not really sure why, and I don't really view paladins and rangers as casters.

Randomthom
2018-02-12, 04:11 AM

Unless you're playing AL, I'd usually put this under "discuss with your DM". If you came to me with this concept, I'd very much consider allowing you to swap some spell effects to change the damage type though you'd only know the spell in it's ice-damage form, you couldn't swap it on-the-fly.

E.g. Chilling Arrow
2nd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (snow or ice and an internal organ from an arctic creature)
Duration: Instantaneous
A shimmering white arrow streaks toward a target within range and bursts in a shower of ice. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 4d4 cold damage immediately and 2d4 cold damage at the end of its next turn. On a miss, the arrow chills the target with acid for half as much of the initial damage and no damage at the end of its next turn.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage (both initial and later) increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 2nd.

You could even swap out the secondary damage for a slowing effect potentially though that sort of effect usually requires a saving throw.

JellyPooga
2018-02-12, 04:31 AM
You could just change the damage type of a pre-existing Cantrip. A lot of people’s image of EB is already lightning related anyhow, especially with the “crackling beam of energy” part. Changing fire bolt to lightning damage would be quite easy. Ray of frost seems like a good choice too as the decrease in movement speed is quite easily explained by electric trauma.

I little fluff goes a long way. After all, electricity burns, paralyses, causes involuntary movement, can make very loud noises and more. A "Zap" Cantrip, for example, that is functionally identical to Firebolt, including the fire damage, that has lightning-y imagery might not benefit from any Class features that boost lightning damage, but would be thematically appropriate in my mind.

Hold Person, Dissonant Whispers, Fear, Fire Shield, even Blindness/Deafness, Animate Objects, Enhance Ability, Dimension Door
and healing spells can be lightning themed without changing a mechanical thing, with the right imagery/description. Some damage types or themes can be harder than others to justify, but a fire mage flying on a pillar of fire, or the metal-mage that charms people by controlling the iron in their blood (yes, that was a thing Magneto did in the Marvel comics), might stretch the bounds of credibility but it's doable.

Vaz
2018-02-12, 05:34 AM

In one of my games, a Shugenja (refluffed Tempest Cleric) took Lightning Lure as Magic Initiate, but then discovered how much it sucked. The DM gave us a significant side quest to aid an old Dojo. We got some downtime there, and we all got a small boon, but the Shugenja got their Lightning Lure to be buffed after using it in a key moment.

Namely, it allowed the Shugenja to move creatures directly away up to the maximum range of the spell, (rather than only towards) and caused disadvantage on the save if the target had suffered Lightning Damage since the end of the Shugenjas last turn.

A later expansion of the training (a further 3 months downtime) let him practise his 'Bushi' skills, he took Rogue Assassin, and the training allowed all of us to make opportunity attacks against a creature moved by the spell.

We managed to get a rather lethal combat recently which was saved by this 'magic item' /'boon' in whuch the target hit the Shugenja: Channel Divinity went off, then Lightning Lure in Shu's turn: the disadvantage prevented the nat 20 save from ruining the day, and shunted the enemy away - 5 opportunity attacks including a Nat 20 Sneak Attack gave one of the most cinematic endings to a fight as this upscaled Oni was punted 15ft away and just ate dirt.

The Shugenja then dropped to 0 thanks to the monsters' Bleed Effect at the end of its turn.

Another of my players is using a Blood Mage Wizard. They have a fair few body changing spells like Polymorph and Alter Self, but also have things like Disguise Self, Slow, Haste and Hold Person. The DM goes to great lengths to represent the effects as if it is the body changing. So rather than a will save to simply shove off the effects, it's a Will Save to prevent the body rebelling and coagulating the blood.

Magneto/Jean Gray are two of my favourite characters in film (didnt do comics sorry), and telekinetic battering has been a favourite way of doing the things.

Beechgnome
2018-02-12, 09:50 AM
Themed casters I've played:

A halfling bard 2/draconic sorcerer 9 who actually believed he was a bronze dragon, shrunk to halfling size for a past transgression he can't recall. He aims to be the best darn bronze dragon he can be to get back his old body. Shocking grasp, lightning bolt, storm sphere provide the lightning, alter self let's him look like a small dragon born. Also had Telekinesis, fly, enhance ability, plus bard spells like Heroism cure wounds. Took distant to make shocking grasp more effective, plus twinned, quickened.

A forest gnome diviner who later found a ring that boosted his necromantic spells. Eventually, one of his ideals was: Some truths can only be seen atop a mountain of bones. Obsessed with not dying. Possibly his defining trait.

An earth genasi moon druid who was one of 16 spawn of a dao who aims to collect his children when they turn 16 and add them to his court as servants. Learned circle of moon in part to disguise herself. Using earth tremor and erupting earth let's her wreck a battlefield, then shift into giant hyena form and move freely with her earth stride.

Vogie
2018-02-12, 10:30 AM
A forest gnome diviner who later found a ring that boosted his necromantic spells. Eventually, one of his ideals was: Some truths can only be seen atop a mountain of bones. Obsessed with not dying. Possibly his defining trait.

My Preeecioussssss

I've been toying around with a Ghost Rider build... I think the last one was Seeker (or maybe Celestial) Blade Warlock 11 / OoV Paladin 5. Haven't set it in stone, or found a game it'd be good fit for...

TheSmogMonster
2018-05-08, 11:33 PM
I am currently running in a round robin game with my roommates. I'm running a tiefling "thermomancer" sorcerer. Took Phoenix sorcery and get a nice bonus to fire spells cause well Angus favors those... Currently got Firebolt, Ray of Frost, Chromatic Orb and Dragon's Breath as my big offensives spells. Can't really spot anything else in the early levels...

apepi
2018-05-09, 12:23 AM
My most favorite spellcaster I have played was a Halfling Bard/Wizard who used luck to protect her teammates. Cast Bane and use Cutting Words on people attacking your allies. Use Portent to force important rolls. Viscous Mockery to give disadvantage. Lucky(feat) to protect yourself, Halfling feat to help allies reroll natural 1's. The build has so much economy, good support without having to heal and cc via dice manipulation. It was so much fun. It has been the most inventive build I have ever played and is 100% legal. Though some thoughts are going into Wild Sorcerer might even be better(more dice manipulation) than 18 Bard/2 Wizard, but that is kind of a judgment call.

My other favorite build was an old one warlock/favored soul sorcerer who was mute but spoke into people's minds. She could not cast verbal components without using subtle spell, so most of the spells she cast did not have them.

mr-mercer
2018-05-09, 09:48 AM
I recently came up with the idea for a shadow sorcerer refluffed as a vampire sorcerer: taking spells that reflect things Dracula and similar characters can do, such as Charm Person, Spider Climb, Gaseous Form and similar. I'd make the character a human noble and do my best Simon Templeman impression while talking, for maximum fun.

DMThac0
2018-05-09, 10:16 AM
I introduced my fiancee to DMing, had her run Phandelver, she chose characters for us and I ended up with the Wizard.

I, having been a DM for around 30 years and playing with a bunch of newer players, decided I wasn't going to be the guy the party turned to to win. I built my spell list off the idea that I was averse to death. I couldn't deal killing blows, even causing pain to a living creature was difficult. Grease, mind altering spells, gust, pretty much anything without a damage die I chose. He was a major pain in the tail for the party, what with being a pacifist, socially awkward, and arrogant about his intelligence...I used spells to knock creatures prone, pin them to walls, and otherwise make them useless in combat, while I cringed as my party members laid them low.

In a certain scene of the adventure there was a bad guy doing really bad things to an npc family (trying not to spoil). This was a pivotal moment as the group watched my character lose it, and with the grace of my DM, I was able to mage hand/force choke that bad guy and stare him in the eyes as he die. The group was stunned to see my character act that way. After that, he acted in his old passive aggressive manner, but no one brought up the bad guy's name in my presence...

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-09, 10:27 AM
I play Larz Burnbalm, a deep gnome wizard. Thing is, he's a fashion designer and model. So if a spell can't help him wow people on the runway or make business deals, he probably doesn't know it. Even Melf's Minute Meteors has that out of combat cool factor if you never fire them at anyone. He's an illusionist and as it turns out he's a really great build for a control wizard.

Dr. Cliché
2018-05-09, 11:37 AM
I recently came up with the idea for a shadow sorcerer refluffed as a vampire sorcerer: taking spells that reflect things Dracula and similar characters can do, such as Charm Person, Spider Climb, Gaseous Form and similar. I'd make the character a human noble and do my best Simon Templeman impression while talking, for maximum fun.

I've tried something similar, but it was never particularly fun to play and never felt very vampire-y. They have a lot of abilities that sound vampire-y but don't actually feel vampire-y, if you see what I mean.

I think Divine Soul might actually be the better choice for this concept. It gives you a lot more options in terms of spells, whilst also letting you grow bat wings at 14th level.

Hexblade or Fiend Warlock could both work as well - they've both got life-stealing abilities in addition to having various vampire-y Eldritch Invocations.

It's up to you, obviously, but I thought I'd mention this because I went with Shadow Sorcerer for this very concept and have basically regretted my choice ever since.

JimmyHoffa69
2018-05-09, 11:16 PM
Regarding all the people who want to play an elementalist but lack the spells...

See if you can talk your DM into homebrewing a metamagic option that for 1 sp let's you transfer between lightning, cold, fire, and acid damage. It certainly isn't overpowered, and conceptualizing how a spell changes shapes is just cool.

Like, think of Storm Sphere as an acid-based spell. A giant quivering storm of yellowish mist that condenses into bolts of acid which it launches at foes.

This really opens things up, such that fire dragon sorcerer is no longer far and away the best option.

Wanted to play a street urchin dwarf. Grows up without a family on the streets but is a Draconic sorcerer based on some weird/horrible stuff in his family tree. Black dragon ancestry. Since started before Xanathar's since there were so little acid based spells my DM gave me a ring of corrosion that allows me to change the damage of any spell to acid. Seems to have worked out well.