PDA

View Full Version : A Character from Chult

Avonar
2018-02-06, 12:14 PM
I'll be starting Tomb of Annihilation campaign soon and I liked the plot hook for the Outlander, that you are originally from Chult and left, and are now seeking to return.

Could anyone who knows of the setting give me some brief tips for things like culture and Chultish names that might be a thing? No spoilers please of course.

Alternatively I can get hold of the book if there are good things in there that could help, but obviously I don't want to accidentally read anything I shouldn't.

HMS Invincible
2018-02-06, 12:41 PM
Jungle Africa is the theme I got, along with pirates, mercenaries and goblins. There are dwarves too. Hope that helps. Everything civilized is run by a group of merchant princes, and everything else is law of the jungle.

Malifice
2018-02-06, 01:14 PM
Jungle Africa is the theme I got, along with pirates, mercenaries and goblins. There are dwarves too. Hope that helps. Everything civilized is run by a group of merchant princes, and everything else is law of the jungle.

With a splash of Mayans or Incans.

HMS Invincible
2018-02-06, 01:32 PM
I haven't made it past the first River yet, we got side tracked]staring down the king of the jungle[/CODE][/PHP][/HTML][/QUOTE].

Unoriginal
2018-02-06, 01:48 PM
I'll be starting Tomb of Annihilation campaign soon and I liked the plot hook for the Outlander, that you are originally from Chult and left, and are now seeking to return.

Could anyone who knows of the setting give me some brief tips for things like culture and Chultish names that might be a thing? No spoilers please of course.

Alternatively I can get hold of the book if there are good things in there that could help, but obviously I don't want to accidentally read anything I shouldn't.

You can ask your DM for the list of Chultan name that's in the book. Or I could post it here, if you'd rather.

You can also ask your DM for the relevant setting info:

As for the culture, what I can say without spoiling:

Chult used to have several great cities, including a great forge and mine that belonged to the Dwarves, but they all fell, except Port Nyanzaru.

Invaders from oversee were in charge for a while, but they left and now the locals run Nyanzaru again. The Lord's Alliance and the Flaming Fist has enough influence to claim pillage/treasure-hunting rights on a part of the territory, though.

The main god of Chult was Ubtao, once. He created the dinosaurs, and loved mazes. Thing is, he eventually got fed up with the Chultans and left the country for good, which prompted the locals to find other gods.