PDA

View Full Version : GM CONFESSION: Boring Origin Story

DRD1812
2018-02-06, 01:19 PM
This story first appeared below this comic (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/boring-origin-story), but with so many new GMs in the world I think it's important to keep on telling the "I screwed up stories." Mistakes happen, and no GM in immune to messing up. For example, exposition dumps are rarely a good idea. I did not possess this wisdom when I was first starting out, and so subjected my players to what may be my worst ever GM moment. Here's the story:

It was the Jade Regent adventure path, which contains a Dragon Age style relationship mini-game. Players pick one of four NPCs to form either a romance/bromance or a rivalry with. There’s numerical attitude tracking, gift-giving, mechanical boons for nurturing the relationship…the whole bit. It’s a fun idea, but I hadn’t realized that the whole adventure path was something of a sequel to Rise of the Runelords. That means that two of the four very important NPCs (which stick with you for the whole campaign) were actually introduced outside of the Jade Regent story line. One of them was an elven ranger named Shalelu. She was to be my downfall. There just didn’t seem to be a way to work her into the story, and so finally I got out my narrative crowbar and tried to wedge her in.

So there they were, sitting around a campfire with their NPCs. It’s raining out, but there aren’t any hill giants attacking or cart horses getting spooked, and my players are like, “Why is this even a scene?” That’s when I launch into this awful exposition about how gray and dismal it is, and how Shalelu is staring into the fire like the loneliest lone wolf to ever lone a wolf. “I hate the rain,” she says.

My players make no response. The badass elven ranger is monologuing. What is there to say?

“I was a girl, not more than ten when we found the body. My father’s body. It was raining that day.”

I realize at this point that I’ve turned the hot elf chick into a socially awkward weirdo, but I’ve already started. There’s no choice but to get to the end of the scene. Shalelu goes on and on about how they found her father’s mangled body, how they tracked the murderous bugbears down, and how she hates goblinoids to this day.

“And the rain,” she concludes. “I still hate the rain.”

My players are sitting there meanwhile like, how in the crap are we supposed to interact with this scene? It had come out of nowhere. There was no lead-up. This was supposed to be the beginning of this NCP’s characterization. One of my players actually did the awkward turtle thing with her hands.

The campaign died shortly thereafter. If memory serves, it had something to do with not liking how the NPCs seemed more central to the story than the players’ characters. Can’t imagine how they got that impression. Any dang way, that’s not the end of the story. Years later, one of my Jade Regent players decided to run Rise of the Runelords. If you’ll recall, that’s the adventure path that introduced Shalelu. Every time she speaks, it’s to remark on how something reminds her of a tragic event from her past. You know that comic I linked up top? The burning of the "sacred oven tree" was one of Shalelu's stories. My shame knows no bounds.

weckar
2018-02-07, 04:03 AM
Jade Regent was never quite clear about this continuity caveat, I think. You did the best you could.

DRD1812
2018-02-07, 11:11 AM
You did the best you could.

I think I've just discovered the internet equivalent of ugly crying on a stranger's shoulder. So *sniff honk* thank you.

Mordaedil
2018-02-12, 02:53 AM
Generally, you should treat NPC backstories as irrelevant to the game unless the players specifically roleplay to ask for it. The story isn't something you prepare to orate at the players, it's to inform you of his actions and what answers to give to very specific enquiries. Unless directly asked, the NPC's should not assume the players are interested.

It might seem like a waste, but not every NPC is going to hit the mark with every player.

Florian
2018-02-12, 10:54 AM
*Shrugs*

It´s Jade Regent. It´s not exactly about the characters, it´s not exactly about the NPC, it is about the trip and journey itself. That's central here. When playing it, the timing and pacing of the action was just right that we began and ended every session back at the caravan.

DRD1812
2018-02-13, 10:55 AM
*Shrugs*

It´s Jade Regent. It´s not exactly about the characters, it´s not exactly about the NPC, it is about the trip and journey itself.

Unfortunately, we quit right outside of Brinewall. Never even made it to the epic overland journey. Sad times.