PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the Best CR10 and under beasts to use for polymorph

Davrix
2018-02-06, 03:55 PM
Basically what the title says. I have a game coming up tonight and I get to try this out for the first time.

Long story short, me and the Dm are having fun re-skinning hexblade to a Bloodborn hunter. I have the invocation that lets you use polymoprph once per day for free and the character is Lv 10. We are going to re-skin what I turn into so any monster block is open, so we could use some options. I mean I think the T-rex is even on the table at this CR point but I havn't had time to check.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-06, 04:10 PM
Basically what the title says. I have a game coming up tonight and I get to try this out for the first time.

Long story short, me and the Dm are having fun re-skinning hexblade to a Bloodborn hunter. I have the invocation that lets you use polymoprph once per day for free and the character is Lv 10. We are going to re-skin what I turn into so any monster block is open, so we could use some options. I mean I think the T-rex is even on the table at this CR point but I havn't had time to check. Are you sticking with beasts, or is "anything on the table" the rule?

The new form van be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or the target’s level, if it doesn’t have a challenge rating) T Rex is CR 8. No beasts at CR 9 and CR 10 based on the table I got from WoTC web site, "Monsters by CR" ...
Giant Ape is CR 7, so I guess you could be King Kong or Godzilla (Trex). :smallbiggrin:
A Mammoth is CR 6, if you want to go all Pachyderm on someone. Trampling, charging, trumpeting ... could be fun. You'd also be a great mount for other characters.

Trampling Charge. If the mammoth moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, that target
must succeed on a DC 18 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the mammoth can make one stomp attack against it as a bonus action.
Actions
Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (4d8 + 7) piercing damage. Stomp. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one prone creature. Hit: 29 (4d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Davrix
2018-02-06, 04:35 PM
Are you sticking with beasts, or is "anything on the table" the rule? T Rex is CR 8. No beasts at CR 9 and CR 10 based on the table I got from WoTC web site, "Monsters by CR" ...
Giant Ape is CR 7, so I guess you could be King Kong or Godzilla (Trex). :smallbiggrin:
A Mammoth is CR 6, if you want to go all Pachyderm on someone. Trampling, charging, trumpeting ... could be fun. You'd also be a great mount for other characters.

The thing on wizards sight I dont think includes volo's and doesn't have the Tomb of beasts from KP we are using as well.

But the spell limits to beasts so yea and its also to simulate beast mode from the game in how we both see it.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-06, 04:38 PM
The thing on wizards sight I dont think includes volo's and doesn't have the Tomb of beasts from KP we are using as well. As far as I recall, no, it does not, but I can't recall what beasts besides Aurochs were in Volos ... will need to update when I get nearer to my books. I don't do splat books, so I am no help to you regarding the KP material.

Davrix
2018-02-06, 07:37 PM
As far as I recall, no, it does not, but I can't recall what beasts besides Aurochs were in Volos ... will need to update when I get nearer to my books. I don't do splat books, so I am no help to you regarding the KP material.

Volo's doesn't really have much honestly.

Looking on DnD Beyond through all official material from CR6 to 10 there are 3 options which is sort of pathetic if you think about it.

Mammoth - CR 6
Giant Ape - CR 7
T-Rex - CR 8

Nothing else really and honestly checking that's it. Nothing higher than the T-rex no wonder everyone seems to use it.

Thankfully the KP monster book has a few higher CR options though just as abysmal lower ones. But a Titan Boa of CR 12 will be rather fun to play with

Matrix_Walker
2018-12-04, 08:31 PM
While I have not had the opportunity to take advantage of it yet, my GM has ruled that we can make up a plausible fantasy beast and use the rules in the DMG page 273 to build a new/modified creature. Since giant sized versions of real world beasts are still beasts, we can make giant sized versions of animals not in the MM or scale up to even bigger giant apes.

I think I'm going to take a giant eagle or a scorpion and scale it up to CR 10 for my 10th level lore bard. If the GM likes it and doesn't find it abusive, I'll get a ruling on approval or perhaps adjustments.

Maybe you can suggest something similar to your GM.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-04, 08:40 PM
Here is the list I use if it helps.

https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/monsters/

FWIW, A giant T-rex or Andominous or Raptor Rex or whatever from Jurassic Park would be neat.

PhantomSoul
2018-12-04, 08:45 PM
This was made for Wildshape so there could be some differences beyond the levels at which you gain different Beast options, but it might be a useful place to look: http://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/druid/wildshape.

sambojin
2018-12-04, 09:47 PM
Quetlzcoatlus is a huge flying beast with about 900lb carry capacity and 80' flight speed. This is all your transport options sorted in one go, for the whole party.

Killer whales also arent bad for their sack of hitpoints, 60' swim speed and 120' blindsight. Giant sharks are also ok for longer underwater adventures.