PDA

View Full Version : A simple question concerning natural weapons...

The Professor
2007-08-27, 12:31 AM
Something I'm rather curious about that I... Well, heard, but was unable to find anything for it.

If, say, an awakened dire wolf were to take the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat, would that allow him to make iterative attacks with his natural weapons? Or does he have to take levels in Monk or something?

If so, as I've seen the vampire monk in the Monster Manual have their Energy Drain on each melee attack, why don't I see more strange critters with it? Seems like that'd be pretty much standard for most strange things with natural weapons. Especially if they're unable to wield weapons for lack of hands and stuff.

Help?

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-27, 12:37 AM
If, say, an awakened dire wolf were to take the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat, would that allow him to make iterative attacks with his natural weapons?

No. It would allow the wolf to make unarmed strikes without provoking an AoO. Which I believe is 1d6 for large creatures (?). I believe its bite attack is better, and it 1.5X its strength mod to damage with its bite.

JackMage666
2007-08-27, 12:42 AM
I do believe you're looking for the Rapid Strike feat tree in Savage Species, but I could be wrong.

KillianHawkeye
2007-08-27, 12:45 AM
Natural attacks never make iterative attacks. Improved Unarmed Strike would allow it to make an unarmed strike, which is different, and make iterative attacks if its BAB is high enough. I'm not sure what part of the body a dire wolf would use to make an unarmed strike, but I'm sure it's possible. Also, the damage would be appropriate for an unarmed strike of the creature's size (1d4 for a Large creature in this case).

I'm not sure about other creatures with Energy Drain attacks, but in the vampire's description it specifically says that it only gets one Energy Drain a round.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-27, 12:57 AM
The Rapid Strike Feat gives the ability to take iterative attacks with a single natural weapon of your choice. I believe there is also an imporved version.

The Professor
2007-08-27, 01:10 AM
The Rapid Strike Feat gives the ability to take iterative attacks with a single natural weapon of your choice. I believe there is also an imporved version.

Mm... That may be what I want then. Some natural weapons are too good to not get multiple attacks with them.

In experience, is that broken? Multiple attacks with Natural Weapons?

Gralamin
2007-08-27, 01:34 AM
Mm... That may be what I want then. Some natural weapons are too good to not get multiple attacks with them.

In experience, is that broken? Multiple attacks with Natural Weapons?

If it's from Savage Species, then Broken most likely it is.

excrtd
2007-08-27, 02:10 AM
According to the feat list on the Wizards website Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike are in the Draconomicon.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-27, 02:20 AM
If it's from Savage Species, then Broken most likely it is.

Actually, the feats from Savage Species are pretty solid. It is just the racial progressions that are messed up. Broken in the conventional sense, you might say. (take Solar for example. they gain electricity resistance several levels after they are already immune).