PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Prestidigitation - Colouring

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-06, 07:35 PM
One of the the uses given for is:
"You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour."

Does that mean you can actually colour the whole object/surface with it (assuming the volume is less than 1 cubic foot), or that you can colour just part of the object/surface?

Asmotherion
2018-02-06, 07:55 PM
One of the the uses given for is:
"You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour."

Does that mean you can actually colour the whole object/surface with it (assuming the volume is less than 1 cubic foot), or that you can colour just part of the object/surface?

I read it as "whole object, I foot cube".

I even let a Sorcerer use it on people's faces (with a con save against his spell save DC), since it technically quallifies as a surface.

A Bard proficient in Performance could manifest small works of art with it, and then paint them with an actual brush to make them permanent.

I like creative uses of the simingly "useless" aspects of cantrips, and I suppose a lot of DMs do so as well. If you can explain what you're aiming for, you'll probably be able to do it.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-07, 06:52 PM
I like creative uses of the simingly "useless" aspects of cantrips, and I suppose a lot of DMs do so as well. If you can explain what you're aiming for, you'll probably be able to do it.

Well, honestly, all I'm trying to do is colour a character's fancy cloak pink, as an act of petty revenge. :smallwink:

Tiadoppler
2018-02-07, 06:57 PM
Well, honestly, all I'm trying to do is colour a character's fancy cloak pink, as an act of petty revenge. :smallwink:

This is a traditional and time-honored use of Prestidigitation. It does have a limited duration though. Additional uses: Recolor the top of somebody's hat to the most clash-y color you can imagine (they're less likely to notice this). Write "Kick Me" on the back of their armor. Make the sugar they pour into their coffee taste like salt. Or hot peppers. Soil all of their clean clothing right before a meeting with a noble.

Make their beer and ice cream warm, and their soup cold.

Wave your hand in front of their face, make a nonmagical trinket or illusion shaped like their nose. Yell "got your nose!"

Make out-of-tune musical notes whenever the bard tries to play their favorite instrument.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-07, 08:01 PM
This is a traditional and time-honored use of Prestidigitation. It does have a limited duration though.

Sadly, that's true. Still long enough to (hopefully) cause embarrassment, though.

Additional uses: Recolor the top of somebody's hat to the most clash-y color you can imagine (they're less likely to notice this).

That's pretty good. In this case, however, it has to be the cloak. Let's just say that said cloak is a big part of why my character wants revenge.

Write "Kick Me" on the back of their armor.

I quite like this one. I think I'd want to write something more specific, though. For example, if a wizard annoyed me, I'd probably write 'Please Counterspell me'. Because I'm a really mature person, apparently. :smalltongue:

Make the sugar they pour into their coffee taste like salt. Or hot peppers.

Are you actually allowed to make their food taste really hot/spicy?

If so, that could be great fun. For example, if we're in a tavern, I could make his regular food taste uncomfortably spicy. And then make his drink taste really spicy. :smallamused:

Soil all of their clean clothing right before a meeting with a noble.

That was my first thought in terms of Prestidigitation-based revenge, but I decided to look for something a little less unpleasant.

Whilst undoubtedly effective, it's a bit too crude for my current character.

Make their beer and ice cream warm, and their soup cold.

There's something wonderfully petty about using Prestidigitation to melt someone's ice cream. :smallbiggrin:

Wave your hand in front of their face, make a nonmagical trinket or illusion shaped like their nose. Yell "got your nose!"

I'll have to steal this one.

Make out-of-tune musical notes whenever the bard tries to play their favorite instrument.

Wouldn't Minor Illusion be better for that?

Tiadoppler
2018-02-07, 08:04 PM
Wouldn't Minor Illusion be better for that?

Probably. Prestidigitation makes harmless sensory effect like faint musical notes, but they don't continue the way Minor Illusion does. Maybe just enough to make him think his lute's out of tune :smallamused: