PDA

View Full Version : Question about polymorph

Davrix
2018-02-06, 08:03 PM
So the warlock invocation lets you cast polymorph once without using a spell slot.

So my question is this. The spell takes concentration of 1 hour and I am assuming if cast on someone else the concentration check only applies if the caster is hit not on the person you transformed as the spell reads, it lasts for the duration or you are reduced to 0 hit points.

But I am also assuming if I use it on myself, every time I get hit I'm ganna have to make a con save on the damn bloody thing... Which kind of blows.

BW022
2018-02-06, 09:18 PM
So the warlock invocation lets you cast polymorph once without using a spell slot.

Not correct. Sculptor of Flesh takes a spell slot.
"You can cast polymorph once using a warlock spell slot. You can’t do so again until you finish a long rest."

So my question is this. ...

Yes. You only make a constitution check when you take damage. If you cast it on someone else, you could stay back somewhere safe, and it would last until they run out of hit points. If you get hit, you need to make a concentration check or loose the spell. Casting it on yourself may be less effective in combat. This said... even casting it on yourself...

* There are obviously non-combat uses of the spell -- flying, climbing, breaking open doors, stealth, swimming, breathing underwater, carrying treasure or other characters, moving through webs, escaping bars, tracking someone through the wilderness, surviving in the cold, etc.
* Many forms have a high constitution, so your checks might not be that bad.
* You always have the option of putting up non-concentration defensive spells such as Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image, or Blink before changing form. It's a lot of spell slots but deadly.
* There maybe spells others can cast on you in beast form or potions available.
* Many forms have reach so you could attack from behind another tank type character.
* The ape has a brutal ranged attack (provided rocks are nearby).
* Fighting in favorable conditions -- as a giant spider in webs, as a shark in the water, etc. where your opponent might be limited in being able to attack you.
* Fighting creatures with poor melee abilities. Say an enemy wizard or caster.
* Even without these... enemies might have to waste time attacking you. Even if your form only lasts a round or two, its probably as effective as many lower-level defensive, healing, damaging, and control spells. A giant ape could easily block/stop a group of creatures, absorb 30hp+ of damage, and maybe deal 15hp of damage, etc. over two rounds.
* Even without these... movement might itself be useful in combat. Turning into a giant spider and moving across the roof to get behind a wall of trolls and reach their leader in the rear.
* Enemies still may not attack you. Unintelligent creatures might not know to specifically target you over other party members, other party members might be a more obvious threat (many 7th+ level characters can be dishing out more damage with smites, sneak attacks, 4th-level offensive spells, etc.), or it might not know attacking you is smart (i.e. that you are under a polymorph, it is your spell, etc.)
* You can often make it more painful for opponents to attack you. Armor of Agathys is an obvious one, but putting yourself in a position where enemies need to draw opportunity attacks from other PCs to reach you, traps, move off other PCs, etc. Grappling, going defensive, etc. can also really make opponents waste time.
* Enemies can give up on you. After a couple of rounds, if they can't hit you or make you fail a concentration check, it can become pointless to keep trying. Other PCs (above) will be dishing out damage and they are merely gambling that attacking you is going to take down the spell. Worse... as far as they know... you could just recast it. Most combats only last 5-10 rounds, so if something isn't working after a couple of rounds, many opponents will switch tactics.
* It still provides protection against massive damage. A fireball, dragon's breath, etc. isn't going to kill you. A 4th-level spell can effectively protect you against 100hp+ of damage. This is a great trade for a 4th-level slot in most cases.

I find it a catch-all spell. Yes... in combat it typically needs some planning, but there are lots of tactics which it works fairly well. I don't plan on it lasting more than a couple of rounds in most combats, but its power comes from its flexibility.

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-02-06, 09:25 PM
I believe you are correct. The spell says that the effect of the polymorph spell - the transformation - lasts for the duration, or until the "transformee" is reduced to 0 hit points or perishes. Whether you polymorph yourself or another creature, you have to concentrate to extend the duration up to one hour, because you're the one sustaining the effect. If you polymorph your ally, the ally can take damage, but because they are not the caster of the origination of the effect, they do not need to make the check. If you get hit, you'll have to make the check because you cast it. If you are also the one transformed, you'll have to make the concentration checks nonetheless.

Might I suggest the War Caster feat?

mormon_soldier
2018-02-06, 09:55 PM
You are limited to what actions the new form takes, though, so doesn't that inherently interrupt your concentration?

Mellack
2018-02-06, 10:07 PM
Concentration doesn't take an action, so you can do it in any form. You can even concentrate while taking a short rest.