PDA

View Full Version : Graft flesh: Bearded Devil's Beard

TallerSpine
2018-02-06, 09:23 PM
One of my players is looking to become a fleshwarper. The party faced a bearded devil and he is now doing research to figure out how to stitch a beard onto himself that can attack with a successful grapple check.

Obviously this would be a custom graft. Any ideas for price? I'm not sure how to price grafts. They all seem too expensive for what they do.

Zaq
2018-02-07, 12:14 AM
Maybe use the Grappling Vine from Magic of Eberron as a starting point? It’s a “new-style” graft rather than an “old-style” one, if that’s relevant, but it’s a RAW graft that involves grappling, so it’s as good a place to start as any.

Segev
2018-02-07, 02:08 PM
Is he looking for a prehensile beard that can make grapple checks, or is he looking to apply the extra damage and disease the Hamatula's beard (ex) ability lets them do when they hit with two claw attacks, but he wants to do it on a grapple check rather than on a pair of claw strikes?

If the latter, I'd go with 1800x2 gp for the damage (treating it as a 2nd level caster's inflict light wounds) plus 1800x3x5 gp for the beard (treating it as a third level spell). It's technically "use-activated," but the use-trigger is so much harder to pull off (i.e. grappling) than most such activation actions that I figure the command-activated effect is about right.

This comes to 30600 gp market price, base, or 15300 gp construction cost. I'd go ahead and knock half of that construction cost off based on him already having the beard itself, treating that as one of the more exotic components he would have had to pay for if he were constructing it just based on supplies he spent gp on. So 7650 gp to get the fancy needles, special threads and unguents to stitch it to his face, and other reagents to make it work with his body. Plus 1224 experience points, if you're using 3.5's experience costs for magic item crafting.

InterstellarPro
2018-02-07, 03:06 PM
Is he looking for a prehensile beard that can make grapple checks, or is he looking to apply the extra damage and disease the Hamatula's beard (ex) ability lets them do when they hit with two claw attacks, but he wants to do it on a grapple check rather than on a pair of claw strikes?

If the latter, I'd go with 1800x2 gp for the damage (treating it as a 2nd level caster's inflict light wounds) plus 1800x3x5 gp for the beard (treating it as a third level spell). It's technically "use-activated," but the use-trigger is so much harder to pull off (i.e. grappling) than most such activation actions that I figure the command-activated effect is about right.

This comes to 30600 gp market price, base, or 15300 gp construction cost. I'd go ahead and knock half of that construction cost off based on him already having the beard itself, treating that as one of the more exotic components he would have had to pay for if he were constructing it just based on supplies he spent gp on. So 7650 gp to get the fancy needles, special threads and unguents to stitch it to his face, and other reagents to make it work with his body. Plus 1224 experience points, if you're using 3.5's experience costs for magic item crafting.

Seconded. I was looking into the spell levels for similar effects to determine the graft cost. I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly.

denthor
2018-02-07, 03:47 PM
There is a specific class in one of the 3.5 expansion books that does just that. With abilities it is evil and painful to do book suggests many potions of healing. I want to say wizard book.

atemu1234
2018-02-07, 04:29 PM
There is a specific class in one of the 3.5 expansion books that does just that. With abilities it is evil and painful to do book suggests many potions of healing. I want to say wizard book.

I'd be curious to track this down; unfortunately, this isn't a lot to go on. A PrC in one of the splatbooks? There are, like, thousands. Anyone got any more specific ideas on the source?

denthor
2018-02-07, 04:51 PM
Wizards of the coast brown 3.5 book

Tome and blood. Page 43

Acolyte of the skin is the prestige class

I do all of this on my phone so linking is almost impossible but that should be what you're looking for

umbergod
2018-02-07, 05:31 PM
Wizards of the coast brown 3.5 book

Tome and blood. Page 43

Acolyte of the skin is the prestige class

I do all of this on my phone so linking is almost impossible but that should be what you're looking for

It was updated in complete arcane

Segev
2018-02-07, 05:46 PM
Both Acolyte of the Skin and Fleshwarper PrCs are in Complete Arcane as the most up-to-date versions. Acolyte of the Skin is...more about fusing with fiends, specifically, than it is about grafts, IIRC, but I'm away from book right now so can't look it up. It may also be a 5/10 class, which would make it pretty lousy.