PDA

View Full Version : Comics Northlanders comic book?

2D8HP
2018-02-06, 10:27 PM
I just picked and read/looked at the By Chance or Providence: Stories by Becky Cloonan comic book and I thought it was pretty good, so I looked up more works by the author and found that she was one of the artists for Conan: Queen of the Black Coast which was alright, and I saw that she also did some of the

Northlanders (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northlanders) comic.

Have any Playgrounders read Northlanders?

Was it worth picking up?

t209
2018-02-06, 10:29 PM
Well, I am not a good critic, but it's action-packed and decent story as I read it.
But I actually like Paris siege story.

comicshorse
2018-02-07, 05:56 AM
Northlanders was written as a collection of different stories each involving different characters and places but all set in the Viking Age. So obviously the stories did vary in quality.
For me my particular favorites were 'The Siege of Paris', 'The Cross and the Hammer' and 'The Viking Art of Single Combat'. On the other hand I found 'Metal' both dull and irritating
Looking back on it for me the good significantly out weighed the bad. So I would recommend them, particularly if you have an interest in history

HowNowBrownCow
2018-02-08, 08:58 PM
I just generally enjoyed Northlanders, though I was also in the middle of a pretty heavy binge of Crusader Kings 2 while I was reading it, so my imagination was pretty primed. Give it a read.

avalkauskas
2018-08-20, 10:53 AM
"Northlanders" was a great series of graphic novels. It's a great series to read if you're looking to start up a Viking RPG campaign. It'll get your imagination going and put you in the right mindset. If you're good to go deeper down the rabbit hole, the Sagas of the Icelanders is a great book you can get on Amazon. It covers all of the major sagas including Egil's saga. Njal's saga (a seperate book) would also be a great reference.

Ranxerox
2018-08-24, 09:46 PM
If you try out and like Northlanders, you might want to do yourself a favor and try out Black Road too.