PDA

View Full Version : Spell thief stealing SLA

Yogibear41
2018-02-07, 03:14 AM
If a spell thief steals a SLA with a limited number of uses per day from a target, does the target lose one of it's uses per day? It seems like it should but the text doesn't really come out and say it.

DEMON
2018-02-07, 05:07 AM
If a spell thief steals a SLA with a limited number of uses per day from a target, does the target lose one of it's uses per day? It seems like it should but the text doesn't really come out and say it.

No, it doesn't. The target is only prevented from using it for a minute/until the Spellthief uses it himself, whichever comes sooner.

As the text says, the SLA is stolen "temporarily".

ottdmk
2018-02-07, 11:08 AM
The Spellthief's Class Abilities are, in general, poorly written. I say this as a guy who played a Spellthief for a few years and really quite enjoyed it, but the flaws are definitely there.

Given the Mechanics of Steal Spell, Steal Spell Like Ability should reduce the number of times the "victim" can use it per day (if there is such a limit.) A point in favour of this is that if the SLA has limited uses per day and the "victim" has no uses left, the Spellthief can't steal the SLA.

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-07, 11:17 AM
The Spellthief's Class Abilities are, in general, poorly written. I say this as a guy who played a Spellthief for a few years and really quite enjoyed it, but the flaws are definitely there.

Given the Mechanics of Steal Spell, Steal Spell Like Ability should reduce the number of times the "victim" can use it per day (if there is such a limit.) A point in favour of this is that if the SLA has limited uses per day and the "victim" has no uses left, the Spellthief can't steal the SLA.

Ruling otherwise, means that the spell thief can steal his own SLA is before he uses them up thereby getting unlimited uses

DEMON
2018-02-07, 11:43 AM
Ruling otherwise, means that the spell thief can steal his own SLA is before he uses them up thereby getting unlimited uses

If you allow for the silliness of stealing from yourself.

But yes, the way it is written, he should be able to steal from willing targets which would essentially allow for unlimited uses.

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-07, 01:46 PM

But yes, the way it is written, he should be able to steal from willing targets which would essentially allow for unlimited uses.

Even if you don't allow stealing from yourself, there is the issue of stealing from improved familiars, staves, intelligent magic items, and other dudes with limited SLAs in the party.

atemu1234
2018-02-07, 01:49 PM

"If I steal the magic from myself, then I get infinite magic!"

DEMON
2018-02-07, 01:54 PM
Even if you don't allow stealing from yourself, there is the issue of stealing from improved familiars, staves, intelligent magic items, and other dudes with limited SLAs in the party.

I acknowledged most of that :smallsmile: Stealing from party members for infinite uses is a cool trick. I also believe that is RAI, but YMMV, it is definitely a trick a DM might rule against.

But... stealing from staves?

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-07, 02:16 PM
I acknowledged most of that :smallsmile: Stealing from party members for infinite uses is a cool trick. I also believe that is RAI, but YMMV, it is definitely a trick a DM might rule against.

But... stealing from staves?

Staff Siphon. Ever lament that you ran out of spell slots? These three things will eliminate those worries: Channel Charge, Siphon, and a Staff with a cantrip & 4th level spell. This allows you to exchange 5 stolen spell levels for 1 4th level or lower spell slot. Other tamers might have to rest for their spells but you can loot your foes and party all night.

from the pokedex guide to spellthievery (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12677.0)

even then, there a number of staffs that grant SLAs. all you have to do is take them into the magic shop and recraft them as item familiars, intelligent items, etc.

Yogibear41
2018-02-07, 02:49 PM

That Totally wasn't my plan at all. :belkar:

DEMON
2018-02-07, 02:52 PM
That Totally wasn't my plan at all. :belkar:

Were you planning from stealing from yourself, though? Or "just" other willing targets (such as teammates and familiars)?

Yogibear41
2018-02-07, 03:41 PM
Self, working on a build with a half-fiend where I wanted it to rely on its racial spell like-abilities as its primary weapons, maybe throwing in some aberrant dragonmark fun as well.

DEMON
2018-02-07, 03:44 PM
Self, working on a build with a half-fiend where I wanted it to rely on its racial spell like-abilities as its primary weapons, maybe throwing in some aberrant dragonmark fun as well.

In that case...

Self-stealing works RAW, I believe, but FWIW, I would not allow that.

Party-stealing, I would (FWIW2).

But, to be fair, this is actually a matter of a self-stealing "anything", rather than SLA-stealing related question.