PDA

View Full Version : Infernal Adept, can it pick up Eldritch Blast for a DFA?

weckar
2018-02-07, 09:10 AM
This idea came to me as I was - as always - trying to shoehorn Warlocks into builds where they do not belong.

Eldritch Blast is often referred to as being an invocation, but as far as I know it is never given a grade. The level at which one gets it suggests 'least', though.
This should make it eligible to be picked up by a DFA using Infernal Adept.

This in turn unlocks some options for the DFA that were previously locked behind EB damage prereqs.

Though, if this would even work, how much EB damage would the DFA actually get? And would it even be worth it?

Psyren
2018-02-07, 11:08 AM
You've hit on the main difficulty with this - Eldricth Blast is indeed an invocation, but it lacks a grade, so you'll need your DM to step in.

Assuming they allow this, then the scaling of Eldritch Blast is encapsulated within the ability itself... but it's also based on your Warlock level (rather than your caster level) so you'd need DM help here too.

Troacctid
2018-02-07, 04:11 PM
Eldritch blast is not an invocation.

https://i.imgur.com/xjqjuoy.png
Complete Arcane, page 8.

Psyren
2018-02-07, 04:18 PM
That's so weird. Page 8 clearly says it is not, while page 7 clearly says it is.

Invocations and Eldritch Blast: Eldritch blast is not an invocation, but some invocations provide a warlock with the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add new eldritch attacks.

All invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component.

I'll go with page 8 (i.e. not) but man, what were they smoking.

Blue Jay
2018-02-07, 04:21 PM
Eldritch blast is not an invocation.

https://i.imgur.com/xjqjuoy.png
Complete Arcane, page 8.

Check the errata:

Page 8: Invocations and Eldritch Blast
Change this section as follows:
Invocations and Eldritch Blast: Eldritch blast is an invocation. Other invocations provide a warlock with
the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add new eldritch attacks.

Troacctid
2018-02-07, 04:46 PM
Oh, fair enough, I guess.

skunk3
2018-02-07, 05:16 PM
Even without seeing the errata, I consider EB an invocation, but I see it as one being exclusive to warlocks.

The Viscount
2018-02-07, 08:19 PM
Assuming that your DM agreed to it, it would deal 1d6 points of damage. Further increases are baked into warlock class features, so even spending more invocations on modifications becomes questionable.