PDA

View Full Version : A thought on the blood oath *Slight SOD spoilers*

The Wanderer
2007-08-27, 02:35 AM
Okay, this is a thought I had after reading Start of Darkness, and seeing the last panel of the most recent comic reminded me of it.

The end of SoD showed us 2 things: that Eugene couldn't pass on without the oath being fulfilled, and that the oath was automatically passed down the family after his death, which is how Roy wound up being bound by it.

So here's the question: now that Roy has died with it still unfulfilled, is Julia now automatically tapped by it too? Or is it possible that Roy's pending resurrection will stop that from happening, and shift the curse back to being solely on him? Or might they both be stuck in it together now?

Any thoughts, or does anyone know how such a thing might actually work in DnD?

Eldred
2007-08-27, 03:56 AM
Darn, this was an idea I had a while ago and I was just thinking of posting it :smalltongue:

Well, now that Roy is 100% dead, the blood oath will have definitely passed on to Julia. No question about that.

Now, hopefully Roy will be resurrected in the future, so he'll be alive again. From here on it's speculation. Roy might inherit the Oath again, or Julia might keep it. I like the idea that they will both have it, causing some sort of sibling rivalry between the two to defeat Xykon.

Then again, Julia isnt a very high level... :smallconfused:

Caractacus
2007-08-27, 04:45 AM
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier in the main thread - it's an interesting issue...

I wonder if it's a slip or if Julia will turn up and form the spell-casting part of Team Haley/Belkar... :smallconfused:

Perhaps Roy and his dad aren't on their special plane in their panel, but are in a plane accessible to all LG and just watching from there...

lavidor10
2007-08-27, 04:58 AM
Actually (slight SOD spoiler) there is a question about who it will pass to. In SOD, Roy's mum mentions multiple children, 3 years (I think) before Julia was born :smallconfused:

factotum
2007-08-27, 07:09 AM
I don't think SoD makes it clear that the Blood Oath passes on at all. Eugene took the Oath and is bound by it--however, his eldest child can carry it out for him. I don't think there's any "second second chance" here, so if Roy's failed, I think Eugene is blocked from entering Paradise permanently.

Of course, if he's blocked from entering Paradise, one wonders where he manages to find female ghosts to go on dates with, or how he managed to be on first-name terms with the celestial who had been summoned by Lord Shojo...

SteveMB
2007-08-27, 07:57 AM
I don't think SoD makes it clear that the Blood Oath passes on at all. Eugene took the Oath and is bound by it--however, his eldest child can carry it out for him. I don't think there's any "second second chance" here, so if Roy's failed, I think Eugene is blocked from entering Paradise permanently.

I could be misremembering (don't have my copy handy) but IIRC the oath generically refers to Eugene's descendants.

That said, Roy is still free to enter whatever afterlife he's going to and kick back. His sense of personal responsibility will probably insure that he'll choose to accept rezzing, though.

katsniffen
2007-08-27, 03:20 PM
Darn, this was an idea I had a while ago and I was just thinking of posting it :smalltongue:

Well, now that Roy is 100% dead, the blood oath will have definitely passed on to Julia. No question about that.

Now, hopefully Roy will be resurrected in the future, so he'll be alive again. From here on it's speculation. Roy might inherit the Oath again, or Julia might keep it. I like the idea that they will both have it, causing some sort of sibling rivalry between the two to defeat Xykon.

Then again, Julia isnt a very high level... :smallconfused:

Even if Roy doesn't inherit the Oath again, given it's Roy, I think he might take it up to try to protect his sister...

Nightgaunt
2007-08-27, 03:24 PM
Of course, if he's blocked from entering Paradise, one wonders where he manages to find female ghosts to go on dates with, or how he managed to be on first-name terms with the celestial who had been summoned by Lord Shojo...

I've actually been wondering these same things. The end of SoD makes it seem like the things he has done in the comic would not be things he could do... Or is he stuck doing them because he can't rest?

Fighteer
2007-08-27, 03:29 PM
I've actually been wondering these same things. The end of SoD makes it seem like the things he has done in the comic would not be things he could do... Or is he stuck doing them because he can't rest?
No, he can only go to the afterlife if he passes the blood oath on to Roy, which he did. Now that Roy's up there too, it's not entirely clear if the oath passes to Julia by default or if Roy's in some kind of "limbo" pending a rez. I suspect the resumption of strips on September 17th will shed some light on the situation.

chibibar
2007-08-27, 04:09 PM
Looks like in order to pass on, you need to "register" to pass on. Roy is not ready to move on. Of course Eugene is block from entering UNTIL the bloodoath is fullfilled.

So I guess anyone within the Greenhilt family could do it, but Julia doesn't even know what is going on and there are lack of magical items that will actually llow Roy or Eugene to contact her.

Of course, if it is limit to the first born........ maybe a possible... dun dun dun.... Celest's unborn child? ;)

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-27, 06:36 PM
Looks like in order to pass on, you need to "register" to pass on. Roy is not ready to move on. Of course Eugene is block from entering UNTIL the bloodoath is fullfilled.

So I guess anyone within the Greenhilt family could do it, but Julia doesn't even know what is going on and there are lack of magical items that will actually llow Roy or Eugene to contact her.

Of course, if it is limit to the first born........ maybe a possible... dun dun dun.... Celest's unborn child? ;)

Um, who's Celest? Do you mean Celia?

the_tick_rules
2007-08-27, 10:32 PM
kids competting to kill xykon, and i thought my family was weird.

chibibar
2007-08-27, 11:38 PM
Um, who's Celest? Do you mean Celia?

Yea.. my brain is toast from all the tech support calls for 1st day of school in college..