PDA

View Full Version : Boon item for My player's monk: pathfinder

Nosta
2018-02-07, 12:46 PM
I've given each of my player's a powerful boon. Each players character is level 8. And for example of the boons. The oculist is getting the eldoion class feature of the summoner. Or the Gunblade for the Magus that can increase his caster level like a powerful attack effect with the ability to use spell for various effects.

The monk item I need help with. I want something equally as good for him

Epic Legand
2018-02-07, 12:58 PM
Monks are crazy weak, and your offering powerful boons. Pick something that enhances the features he wants the most. Monks are self sufficient, do not need weapons and are great at saves. Maybe an item that gives him enlarge at will? ( reach, increase in unarmed combat and str boost) plus something that allows his unarmed attacks to do penetrate defenses better? ( act as cold iron, silver ect) Or a luckstone on steroids? bonus plus reroles?) You can bump your monk more then the rest because they are already so weak.

exelsisxax
2018-02-07, 01:27 PM
Permanently change his class to unchained monk, then give him an actual gift.

A large number of:

extra Ki points that scale or are based on a scaling attribute (i.e. +1/2 monk level extra Ki, or full Con)
giving you the benefits of ki strike even if you run out of Ki
getting bonus flurry attacks as a free instead of swift action
extra uses of stunning fist and increase to the DC
ability to move as a swift action at-will
more 5' steps per round
a large scaling bonus to Will saves
endurance and diehard
DR/chaotic
limited healing ability

Ellrin
2018-02-07, 04:09 PM
Unless he's particularly tied to unarmed combat, maybe something along the lines of a loyal intelligent magic weapon that:

Has campaign-appropriate enchantments;
Scales its base damage with monk unarmed damage;
Can be further enhanced as per normal for magic weapons;
Can be used with all monk features that normally require unarmed or special monk weapons, as well as feats that normally require unarmed;
Can be used one- or two-handed;
Can be used lethally or nonlethally at will, as an IUS could;
And that uses whatever his primary stat (or secondary if his primary is strength/dex) is on top of strength/dex as a further bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Honestly I'm still not sure that with all that it's going to be as powerful a boon as an eidolon, and it's not going to bring his class up to par with a decently optimized magus or occultist even without the boons you gave them, but it should minimize a lot of the pain of being a monk, especially if he's a zen archer and you give him a bow like that. If it's not enough a few extra ideas include:

Maybe give it a few extra senses (120 ft. blindsight or see in darkness, for example) and let it communicate with the monk telepathically so he's always prepared or something like that;
Let him make one free combat maneuver (any he likes) every round he makes an attack or full attack, with maybe some bonuses and/or no consequences for failure;
You could let him trade in existing enchantments for other ones of equivalent value on a daily basis for more flexibility;
If it's a melee weapon, maybe give it the ability to change from being an adjacent weapon to a reach weapon once per round as a free action;
Maybe it can even transform into a smaller animal and act as a familiar-style scout, in which case give it the appropriate familiar bonuses.

Obviously not all of these extra ideas would be appropriate to use together, but just various suggestions to help make the thing closer to the level of that eidolon.

The actual form of the weapon doesn't matter so much since most of its stats are being replaced, though if you go with something like that, make sure it's (a) a weapon he'll like and (b) something that allows him to pursue any specific weapon style he might be interested in (say he wanted to pursue the spear dancing style, for example, give him a polearm).

shawshank
2018-02-07, 05:43 PM
Couple of options that would be really cool for him.

1 - An item that grants constant Divine Power *but it stacks with haste* and ignores all DR. May need a bit more bump than that, but thats a good start.

2 - Path of War will fix the monk single-handedly. Just give him Martial Training feat 6 times for free and pick broken blade if he is melee or his choice of tempest gale/solar wind if he is ranged.

So he will gain the feats at levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. That alone will increase him a full tier. For additional information research here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/broken-blade-maneuvers/ http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/tempest-gale-maneuvers/ http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/solar-wind-maneuvers/

You could even give him both or all three if you like.