PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Celestial-themed warlock options

Matrota
2018-02-07, 02:50 PM
I'm currently in the process of building a warlock class for 3.5e that draws its power from celestial origins instead of fiendish ones. It loses some of the UMD capability of the warlock, as well as the fast healing, in exchange for minor at-will healing and the ability to cure status conditions. I was feeling pretty confident with how the progress and work on it was coming along until I came across the blast shapes.

In 3.5, clawlock and glaivelock are pretty well-loved and iconic warlock builds. However, for my Devout Adept class, I don't quite believe the aesthetic of either fits. After all, this class is divine and celestial, rather than eldritch and fiendish. Blastlock works fine for the adept, even though it's weak. I was hoping that perhaps some of the giants here could help me out with some alternative blast shape / build path ideas?

Also, I'm currently torn on if I should even have the 12th level feature that allows magic item crafting. I know this is a massive class feature, but I also gave an at-will healing ability, which is absolutely insane for most builds. While a continuous item with lesser vigor on it isn't super expensive, having at-will healing to cure up the party out of combat is a pretty strong feature to gain at 4th level. It's hardly useful for combat-healing besides stabilization (equal to half sacred blast damage, so maxes out at 4d6 at 20th level), but still very convenient.

For reference, a google document for this class can be found here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/126gzFt-1I6fGqpKEly11ZrC32LBe4yVflfnu1Yuoqvo/edit?usp=sharing).

Goaty14
2018-02-10, 08:37 PM
It really irks me that you just couldn't settle for just having the original names of everything the warlock had, instead you just had to go back and rename it to the exact same effect.

IMO, this isn't a new class, it is literally a refluff of the warlock with a few new abilities strapped onto it. On yea, and then there's the channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?196557-3-5-The-Channeler-an-angelic-invoker-Base-Class), which just about does the same thing.

Also, I'm currently torn on if I should even have the 12th level feature that allows magic item crafting. I know this is a massive class feature,

First, the usefulness of imbued item is dependent on how much downtime your table gets and how much XP you're willing to blow. I cannot imagine it as a game-changer, really.

but I also gave an at-will healing ability, which is absolutely insane for most builds. While a continuous item with lesser vigor on it isn't super expensive, 1: That item doesn't exist, and would require asking your DM to exist before even thinking about having one. 2: Your ability isn't continuous, and explicitly requires a melee touch attack (on your allies???) to function. Also the original blast deals damage to undead and evil outsiders already... Why you're going up in melee to deal half damage is beyond me.

having at-will healing to cure up the party out of combat is a pretty strong feature to gain at 4th level. It's hardly useful for combat-healing besides stabilization (equal to half sacred blast damage, so maxes out at 4d6 at 20th level), but still very convenient.

Wands of lesser vigor also exist out of combat. I wouldn't say it's strong, but I'd put it at "hardly anything" imo.