PDA

View Full Version : Mounted spellcaster

Sirithhyando
2018-02-07, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone !

I've got a caster (Ghostwise halfling) and i'm working with the DM to get him a mount (giant owl).

We're now level 7, my halfling is Cleric 1/ Warlock 6 (Death/Undying).

Anyway, his BG say he's being pursued by his kind who are searching for him mounted on giant owl (the only way to get away from the island he was in).

So, after many level, i've asked my DM if we could find a way to let my character have a giant owl as a mount. At first I asked to find a way to get conjure animal in my spell list, he's looking into it. There's also the possibility of the Find Steed spell to be used as the base to make the spell to summon the mount. Anyway, not sure how it's going to end up.

I'm wondering, what would this character need to be efficient fighting mounted on a flying mount?

I'm thinking of getting spellsniper, but i'm only reflecting on it, nothing sure for now.

What are your thoughts?

Vogie
2018-02-07, 04:17 PM
RAW only requires an exotic saddle. Depending on the range of your spells, Spell Sniper could be certainly a good idea... Being a Warlock, you may just want to use Eldritch Spear.

The DM may require the Mounted Combatant or Warcaster feats (or both) to control the mount and/or maintain concentration while actively flying around.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-07, 08:42 PM
If you're homebrewing a bit, I'd suggest an Invocation slot for a mount is probably a fair trade.

Estoma
2018-02-08, 06:07 PM
RAW only requires an exotic saddle. Depending on the range of your spells, Spell Sniper could be certainly a good idea... Being a Warlock, you may just want to use Eldritch Spear.

The DM may require the Mounted Combatant or Warcaster feats (or both) to control the mount and/or maintain concentration while actively flying around.

I'd highly recommend war caster feat. How realistic is your DM going to be...are you going to need at least one hand to hold onto the owl? If so, you'll totally need this feat.

Sirithhyando
2018-02-09, 07:42 AM
I'd highly recommend war caster feat. How realistic is your DM going to be...are you going to need at least one hand to hold onto the owl? If so, you'll totally need this feat.

Don't you need only one hand free to cast?
And still unsure of how he'll make this happen.
Completely made up spell or through an existing one.
If he let me have conjure animal without restriction (though i'd restrict myself to owl lol), I could summon enough for the whole party though it's only for an hour and I'd have to maintain concentration.
If he let me have the conjured steed of the paladin but boosted for the owl, then mounted combat become even more interesting. Though it could be annoying to the other player.

I had in mind that he could get the mount and then learn to work with him. Mechanically, it would be through feat of multiclass.

Estoma
2018-02-09, 07:55 AM
Don't you need only one hand free to cast?
And still unsure of how he'll make this happen.
Completely made up spell or through an existing one.
If he let me have conjure animal without restriction (though i'd restrict myself to owl lol), I could summon enough for the whole party though it's only for an hour and I'd have to maintain concentration.
If he let me have the conjured steed of the paladin but boosted for the owl, then mounted combat become even more interesting. Though it could be annoying to the other player.

I had in mind that he could get the mount and then learn to work with him. Mechanically, it would be through feat of multiclass.

How long does your party take to level up? You could have the find steed spell in four cleric levels which sounds like a pretty solid option to me, supposing your DM is up for odd creatures as mounts.

As to war caster and needing a hand free, I just mean you should check with your DM: is it going to take two hands to hold onto a flying mount? Mine goes in for lots of realistic stuff like that (though I know some don't) so when someone rides my druid wildshaped into a giant eagle they need to hold on with two hands. Also it's just a nifty feat if you're using lots of concentration spells.

Also, beware of losing concentration while your ally is riding a summoned creature 50ft in the air....trust me....

Sirithhyando
2018-02-09, 08:08 AM
How long does your party take to level up? You could have the find steed spell in four cleric levels which sounds like a pretty solid option to me, supposing your DM is up for odd creatures as mounts.

Find steed is only on the paladin spell list. The bard could get it with magical secret.
But, i don't think i'd get it before a year in real time. We play only once a month so leveling up can take 2-3 months in real time.

As to war caster and needing a hand free, I just mean you should check with your DM: is it going to take two hands to hold onto a flying mount? Mine goes in for lots of realistic stuff like that (though I know some don't) so when someone rides my druid wildshaped into a giant eagle they need to hold on with two hands.
Well, there has been in history account of archer rider no? With the right training, it should be possible. Of course, we're talking about a flying mount this time but i wouldn't find it too strange to hold on with only one hand except if flying upside down for a moment but that's another story. Anyway, you're right, got to see with the DM first. :smallsmile:

Also, beware of losing concentration while your ally is riding a summoned creature 50ft in the air....trust me....
Yeah one of the characters have a complex trust issue with my halfling... though he might be right to be :smallbiggrin:
And yeah, even if not for the one or two hand to hold on, advantage on concentration for spells is a must have.

Zanthy1
2018-02-09, 08:08 AM
The best way would be to get the Find Greater Steed (4th level Paladin Spell). This spell specifies flying mounts for one, and they're intelligent so you wouldn't need the animal handling skill. I would recommend the spell sniper since you'll probably be flying far away from targets. As for warcaster, I always recommend this for any spellcaster regardless.

Estoma
2018-02-09, 08:11 AM
Find steed is only on the paladin spell list. The bard could get it with magical secret.
But, i don't think i'd get it before a year in real time. We play only once a month so leveling up can take 2-3 months in real time.

My mistake, sorry, I meant paladin :)

Aww, no, how do people put up with playing once a month? My group aims for once a week (thought scheduling is absolute hell when half the folk work 9-5 and the other half work hospitality).

mephnick
2018-02-09, 10:36 AM
Aww, no, how do people put up with playing once a month?

Having families makes it easy to not do things you like.

Sirithhyando
2018-02-09, 12:21 PM
Having families makes it easy to not do things you like.

My mistake, sorry, I meant paladin :)

Aww, no, how do people put up with playing once a month? My group aims for once a week (thought scheduling is absolute hell when half the folk work 9-5 and the other half work hospitality).

No worries for the mistake, can happen of course. :smallbiggrin:

And mephnick is absolutely right... though i'm lucky enough to be able to make place for a day per month. We all have children under 5 years old so it's very hard.
And how to put up with this? simple... children are fun too :smalltongue:

Estoma
2018-02-09, 04:52 PM
No worries for the mistake, can happen of course. :smallbiggrin:

And mephnick is absolutely right... though i'm lucky enough to be able to make place for a day per month. We all have children under 5 years old so it's very hard.
And how to put up with this? simple... children are fun too :smalltongue:

Awww, of course it’d be hard to work around having a family.

Galadhrim
2018-02-09, 09:59 PM
This concept seems to work best around greater find steed (access to flying mounts, intelligent, bonded to you). There are some invocations that give access to level 4 spells from other lists (one that gives polymorph for example). An invocation that lets you cast greater find steed once per long rest seems the easiest way to accomplish this. Probably available at warlock 7 just like sculptor of flesh.