PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Backgrounds: The Unchosen One and Mystery (PEACH)

Crisis21
2018-02-07, 04:00 PM
As always, Please Evaluate And Comment Honestly. Especially for the Mystery Background. I really need feedback on that.

Background: The Unchosen One

There was a prophecy, either when you were born or just when you were younger, about a savior that would arise to deliver the people from a great threat. And you fit the prophecy to a 'T'. You were celebrated, trained, and in general treated like the hopes of all creation rested on your shoulders.

Until one day, someone else who fit the prophecy stepped up and took care of things before you even had the chance to get started.

Skill Proficiencies: Perception and your choice of Athletics, Stealth, Religion or Arcana.
Languages: One language of your choice.
Tool Proficiencies: Your choice of one type of Artisan's Tools, Herbalism kit, or Navigator's Tools.
Extra: You gain proficiency in one type weapon not normally granted by your class (simple, martial, improvised, or exotic if your campaign has them) or the lightest class of armor your class is not already proficient in (i.e. light armor if you have none, medium if you have light, and heavy if if you have both light and medium).
Equipment: A set of fine clothes, a noble steed, and a pouch containing 10 gp. If you wish, you may also have a distinguishing mark on your body (birthmark, scar, etc.) or some manner of trinket that was believed to be related to the prophecy.

Feature: Formerly Known As The Hero
You used to be a big deal. More than a few people are disappointed in your for not being the destined hero they thought you were, and continually make their disgust known in a variety of ways. Others seem content to ignore you and hope that both you and their previous faith in your future ability as a savior becomes forgotten in time. And there's still some who seem to think you will still become the hero of prophecy despite evidence to the contrary and continue to treat you as their destined savior. However it happens, precious few people, if any, treat you as a normal person.

d8 Personality Traits

1) Dear gods, you do not know how much of a relief it is not to have the weight of the world on my shoulders.
2) My entire purpose in life basically went poof. What in the nine hells am I supposed to do with myself now?
3) All I ever wanted to do was help people.
4) Now that I have no fated responsibilities, I've become quite the party animal.
5) I've become rather abrasive and antagonistic ever since people started treating me differently.
6) I have become very interested in travelling. The farther, the better.
7) Go away and leave me alone.
8) I coulda been a contender.

d6 Ideal

1) Freedom: Finally, I can live my life the way I want to. (Chaotic)
2) Dedication: Even if I am not the chosen one, my life must still mean something. (Lawful)
3) Heroism: I was trained as a hero, and a hero I shall be. Even if only a lesser one. (Good)
4) Ambition: I can still be a big deal. (Any)
5) Villainy: I never wanted to be a hero anyway. Heroes are chumps. (Evil)
6) Solitude: I just want to be left alone. (Neutral)

d6 Bond

1) My family, bless them, never stopped treating me like a person.
2) There's this one friend I have that never treated me like I was special, and still doesn't.
3) I have a couple of buddies who still act like I'm the chosen hero, and a much better one than "what’s his/her face". Their words, not mine.
4) The animal companion the town got me is the one blessed creature that doesn't seem to give a crap if I'm the hero or not.
5) For some reason, my mentor does not treat me like I was a waste of his/her time and still teaches me stuff.
6) My lover, who I was terrified would leave me for not being the chosen one, didn't.

d6 Flaw

1) I resent everyone who turned their back on me the moment I stopped being their precious chosen one.
2) I secretly despise the hero who stole my life's purpose from me.
3) I feel depressed over how I'm treated now and at least once I considered suicide.
4) I hate divination. People trust it too much, allowing it to ruin lives when it is wrong.
5) I am reckless in my need to prove myself.
6) I am abjectly terrified I might still be the chosen one somehow.

Background: Mystery

You have amnesia. More than that, you have no clue who you are or where you came from, nor does anyone else you know. Your very existence is a mystery wrapped in an enigma hidden behind a shadow of the forgotten. Through trial and error, you have managed to puzzle out at least some of what you are capable of, but the full extent of your own abilities eludes you.

The DM's Story Hook: The Mystery background is special in that the player is essentially agreeing to give up a great deal of control over character creation in exchange for being a more integral part of the DM's story (and possibly a few extras, such as an additional Skill or Tool proficiency, another language, and even possibly a Feat if the DM feels like this choice warrants it). The DM will create the character sheet for the player, selecting a different background and starting class levels, assigning skill, tool, and language proficiencies, ASI increases and Feats if applicable, and even starting ability scores if the player is willing. The DM may also create a personality that has been forgotten along with everything else about the character, and may have little resemblance (possibly even being of different alignment) to what the player creates. The DM then provides the player with a heavily redacted character sheet representing the mystery that is the PC's own past and their limited knowledge about themselves.
The player should not trust anything on their redacted character sheet as completely, or even mostly, accurate, up to and including listed ability scores and hit points, and tell the DM their raw result when they roll a d20 so the DM can determine if their real ability modifiers are enough for success or failure. It is up to the player - and their fellow players - to puzzle out the mystery that is their own character.

Feature: Mysterious Origin
You don't know where you came from or how you got here. Neither, it seems, does anyone else. However, your appearance came with at least one clue that cannot be denied. In any case, it's all but impossible for anyone in your community to mistake you for someone else.

d6 Mysterious Clue

1) Obvious Outsider: You are of a race or subrace that others in your community have never seen before you, even as travelers. Many likely thought your race was myth or rumor before your appearance.
2) Strange Garb: Your first memories are of coming to wearing something of a culture so alien that none you know have ever seen its like, nor have any idea where it might be from. While individual pieces of your original clothing and/or armor may be correctly identified as to its purpose and use, their style is far and beyond different from anything known to this part of the world.
3) Severe Injuries: You were found with horrific injuries and/or scars of a sort that either should not be possible for the local wildlife or militia to inflict, or should not be possible for someone like you to survive.
4) Odd Keepsake: There is a possession of yours that stands out as a curiosity. It may bear clear symbolism not known to your community, may be of a quality that no known artisan can duplicate, or was simply hidden somewhere on our body that was an odd choice in and of itself (such as implanted under your skin).
5) Bizarre Language: Initially you spoke no language known to your current community, instead speaking a language that no one you know has been able to identify.
6) Rare Circumstances: The circumstances surrounding when you were found are cause for scrutiny in and of themselves. Perhaps you were found somewhere that a person shouldn't have been to begin with (such as locked in a trunk) or you appeared on the night of an unnatural event (a snowstorm in a hot, dry desert for example).

d8 Personality Traits

1) I am curious about everything with an intensity usually reserved for children.
2) I love trying new food, always wondering if I've actually eaten something similar before.
3) I have a tendency to answer questions before I even fully realize what was asked.
4) My mind wanders constantly.
5) My first response to stress is to draw a weapon. Sometimes I don't even realize I have my weapon drawn until someone points it out to me.
6) Sometimes when I'm working, I'll stop halfway through and wonder how I know how to do this.
7) I'm quite touchy-feely with friends and even casual acquaintances. It helps reassure me that everything around me is real.
8) I often feel left out of things others take for granted. If there's someone off to the side of a gathering by themselves, it's probably me.

d6 Ideal

1) Past: I have to know who I was and why I came to be here. (Any)
2) Gratitude: The people of this town have done so much for me and I intend to prove worthy of their kindness. (Good)
3) Life: Whatever took my memory could very well have taken my life, and I intend to cherish this life I still have. (Any)
4) Knowledge: I am proof that there is more beyond the confines of this community and I wonder just how much more there is. (Neutral)
5) Adventure: I had to have been an explorer of the great wide world, and I intend to be so again. (Chaotic)
6) Future: Who I was and what I did is nowhere near as important as who I shall become and what I will do from now on. (Any)

d6 Bond

1) I love the family that took me in like they were my real family.
2) A local craftsman took me on as an apprentice and gave me a job for which I am grateful.
3) The local church has taken care of me and I intend to repay their kindness.
4) I've fallen in love with one of the locals.
5) The local children seem fascinated by me and I'm happy to indulge them.
6) I meet regularly with a local scholar who is fascinated by my circumstances and we have become fast friends.

d6 Flaw

1) I must know who I was before and where I came from. I'll follow any lead, no matter how suspect.
2) I sometimes have outbursts of emotion I can't explain.
3) I agonize over what my old life might have that would disrupt my new life.
4) It disturbs me greatly when I do or know things I can't remember learning.
5) I am absolutely terrified that when I remember who I was, I'll stop being who I am.
6) I refuse to learn who I used to be. The past should remain buried, even if it means I remain ignorant of the threats that may come for me.

JeenLeen
2018-02-07, 04:13 PM
Both sound like cool backgrounds for a character, so I very much like the ideas you have here and the different traits/bonds/flaws, but I feel the mechanical parts fall short.

Starting skills and equipment are so reliant on DM choice, and that seems detrimental. This seems okay-ish for the Mystery one, since it is all about being a plot hook, but I think you'd be better off choosing a widely-applicable skill, language of player's choice, and some more specific equipment for the Unchosen One. I could see Persuasion as fitting, since training to be in the limelight and impress folk. Or maybe History for knowing the backstory about the prophecy?

Also, the "Extra" for Unchosen One is probably useless for most characters OR incredibly overpowered. This is a cheap way for a wizard or other unarmored class to get heavy armor proficiency. Making it just weapons would be more reasonable, but keep in mind that most characters that could use such proficiency probably already have it from their class.

Lastly, the Features seem either a mix of positive and negative to wholly negative. In general, Features seem like lesser class abilities that should be almost, always positive. Unchosen One seems a mix of Folk Hero but with 'some folk despise you for no good reason'. Mystery is mostly meaningless, except that you are always recognized as an outsider... which is bad for a sneaky character or someone trying to blend in.

EDIT: for Unchosen starting equipment, due to how expensive a good horse is for a starting PC, I could see just doing the equipment as a set of fine clothes, a noble steed, and a pouch containing 10 gp. If desired, you may also have a distinguishing mark (like a scar, birthmark, or tattoo) or a trinket that was supposedly linked to the prophecy.
Saying 'animal companion' brings in thoughts of the mechanical feature rangers can have, which is probably a confusion best avoided.

EDIT 2: I realized that I got distracted and skimmed part of the Mystery background.
Seeing how this is basically the GM making a character for a player and not telling/giving false intel about the character... I find it hard to really comment. This could be something cool for some groups if everyone had this, but it's something rather foreign to what would be fun for me, so I can't really evaluate it.
That said, I do think this would make a lot more work for the player and GM, and almost force the player to steal the spotlight at times... or at least annoy the other players since it'd take more time to resolve their actions as the player can't trust the numbers on the character sheet. So, all in all, it seems a bad idea unless the entire group is on board with it.

Xihirli
2018-02-07, 05:00 PM
I really like this concept. I think I might suggest this to my DM for a character concept.

Crisis21
2018-02-07, 09:08 PM
Both sound like cool backgrounds for a character, so I very much like the ideas you have here and the different traits/bonds/flaws, but I feel the mechanical parts fall short.

Starting skills and equipment are so reliant on DM choice, and that seems detrimental. This seems okay-ish for the Mystery one, since it is all about being a plot hook, but I think you'd be better off choosing a widely-applicable skill, language of player's choice, and some more specific equipment for the Unchosen One. I could see Persuasion as fitting, since training to be in the limelight and impress folk. Or maybe History for knowing the backstory about the prophecy?

Also, the "Extra" for Unchosen One is probably useless for most characters OR incredibly overpowered. This is a cheap way for a wizard or other unarmored class to get heavy armor proficiency. Making it just weapons would be more reasonable, but keep in mind that most characters that could use such proficiency probably already have it from their class.

Lastly, the Features seem either a mix of positive and negative to wholly negative. In general, Features seem like lesser class abilities that should be almost, always positive. Unchosen One seems a mix of Folk Hero but with 'some folk despise you for no good reason'. Mystery is mostly meaningless, except that you are always recognized as an outsider... which is bad for a sneaky character or someone trying to blend in.

EDIT: for Unchosen starting equipment, due to how expensive a good horse is for a starting PC, I could see just doing the equipment as a set of fine clothes, a noble steed, and a pouch containing 10 gp. If desired, you may also have a distinguishing mark (like a scar, birthmark, or tattoo) or a trinket that was supposedly linked to the prophecy.
Saying 'animal companion' brings in thoughts of the mechanical feature rangers can have, which is probably a confusion best avoided.

EDIT 2: I realized that I got distracted and skimmed part of the Mystery background.
Seeing how this is basically the GM making a character for a player and not telling/giving false intel about the character... I find it hard to really comment. This could be something cool for some groups if everyone had this, but it's something rather foreign to what would be fun for me, so I can't really evaluate it.
That said, I do think this would make a lot more work for the player and GM, and almost force the player to steal the spotlight at times... or at least annoy the other players since it'd take more time to resolve their actions as the player can't trust the numbers on the character sheet. So, all in all, it seems a bad idea unless the entire group is on board with it.

Good points on The Unchosen one. I'll put in that armor proficiency is for the lightest type of armor you aren't already proficient in (i.e. light armor if you have none, medium if you have light, and heavy if if you have both light and medium). I'll change starting equipment to just the noble steed then and add the line about the distinguishing mark. I honestly feel that the feature's negativity counteracts the extra weapon/armor proficiency a character can get out of it.

As for Mystery, it's intended to be a plot hook and a way to play an amnesiac character who truly has no clue who they used to be while also allowing a mystery-solving method of figuring that out for the player rather than relying on a dice roll mechanic. It requires both player and DM to be really on the ball to pull off, and I think it could be really fun if done well. It could also be a disaster if not.

Edit: Changes made

Skill Proficiencies: Perception and your choice of Athletics, Stealth, Religion, or Arcana.
Languages: One language of your choice.
Tool Proficiencies: Your choice of one type of Artisan's Tools, Herbalism kit, or Navigator's Tools.
Extra: You gain proficiency in one type weapon not normally granted by your class (simple, martial, improvised, or exotic if your campaign has them) or the lightest class of armor your class is not already proficient in (i.e. light armor if you have none, medium if you have light, and heavy if if you have both light and medium).
Equipment: A set of fine clothes, a noble steed, and a pouch containing 10 gp. If you wish, you may also have a distinguishing mark on your body (birthmark, scar, etc.) or some manner of trinket that was believed to be related to the prophecy.

Feature: Formerly Known As The Hero
You used to be a big deal. More than a few people are disappointed in your for not being the destined hero they thought you were, and continually make their disgust known in a variety of ways. Others seem content to ignore you and hope that both you and their previous faith in your future ability as a savior becomes forgotten in time. And there's still some who seem to think you will still become the hero of prophecy despite evidence to the contrary and continue to treat you as their destined savior. However it happens, precious few people, if any, treat you as a normal person.