PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3.5e Dragonborn Warblade Build

Thanatus Mors
2018-02-07, 04:05 PM
Howdy 'grounders. Looking for some insights and mechanics tweaks for my current build that'll be taking place in a gladiatorial-style arena game.
Not really looking to fully optimize the character, just wanting to make sure I have a playable concept that fits within the basic storyline I created.
Keep in mind, combat in this game is going to be against other PCs (almost certainly better than I am), not randos or basic NPCs. So, base input on that please.
Pro Forma Disclaimer: I have read the handbook(s) on the Warblade (and swordsage), and done quite a lot of research here and elsewhere before soliciting input from y'all.

The Basics (or, What I Have So Far)

Lvl 1 Warblade (ECL 2 w/ LA+1)
Base Race: Lesser Drow (for backstory...don't gain much)
Special: Lolth-touched (LA+1)
Template: Dragonborn of Bahamut (LA +0)
Dragonborn Trait: Wings (Jump Check=20)
Abalities: 32 Point Buy (after Lolth Touched, and Dragonborn modifiers, looking at STR 22, DEX 14, CON 20, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 10)

Things I'm looking for help on:

Thinking THF (greatsword) build (?)
Feats? Thinking Power Attack->Leap Attack->?
Should I consider a different class, or look to a PrC like Master of Nine?
Is a sword wielding, not quite ready for flight-time Jumpy McJumpinpants the right way to go, or should I look at the Dragonborn senses traits instead, and be a ground-bound slogger?
Anything else I've missed, or not considered?

A few things to consider:

All 3.5e materials are cool, except magazines and homebrew (those by exception only)
In this world, Keen and Improved Crit stack...sooo...something to consider.

Again, I'm open to any thoughts people might have. If I've left out any info you feel is important, please ask, and I'll be happy to correct my omission.
Thanks in advance!

SirNMN
2018-02-07, 04:51 PM
Howdy 'grounders. Looking for some insights and mechanics tweaks for my current build that'll be taking place in a gladiatorial-style arena game.
Not really looking to fully optimize the character, just wanting to make sure I have a playable concept that fits within the basic storyline I created.
Keep in mind, combat in this game is going to be against other PCs (almost certainly better than I am), not randos or basic NPCs. So, base input on that please.
Pro Forma Disclaimer: I have read the handbook(s) on the Warblade (and swordsage), and done quite a lot of research here and elsewhere before soliciting input from y'all.

The Basics (or, What I Have So Far)

Lvl 1 Warblade (ECL 2 w/ LA+1)
Base Race: Lesser Drow (for backstory...don't gain much)
Special: Lolth-touched (LA+1)
Template: Dragonborn of Bahamut (LA +0)
Dragonborn Trait: Wings (Jump Check=20)
Abalities: 32 Point Buy (after Lolth Touched, and Dragonborn modifiers, looking at STR 22, DEX 14, CON 20, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 10)

Things I'm looking for help on:

Thinking THF (greatsword) build (?)
Feats? Thinking Power Attack->Leap Attack->?
Should I consider a different class, or look to a PrC like Master of Nine?
Is a sword wielding, not quite ready for flight-time Jumpy McJumpinpants the right way to go, or should I look at the Dragonborn senses traits instead, and be a ground-bound slogger?
Anything else I've missed, or not considered?

All 3.5e materials are cool, except magazines and homebrew (those by exception only)

Again, I'm open to any thoughts people might have. If I've left out any info you feel is important, please ask, and I'll be happy to correct my omission.
Thanks in advance!

First off you are looking to optimize just with in certain criteria. You might want to add that tag, as there are a lot of people who are better that me at that. I feel the need to point this out the Lolth is and evil deity and has the ability to turn the pluses from the template to negatives, and since you are becoming a Dragonborn of Behamut a good diety she might has a very good reason to. can I suggest the half Drow no light sensitivity. I will have more to suggest when I get back to my books

Thanatus Mors
2018-02-07, 05:10 PM
Lolth is and evil deity and has the ability to turn the pluses from the template to negatives, and since you are becoming a Dragonborn of Behamut a good deity...

Thanks much for the insight, and you make a good point that I probably should've addressed in my initial post. DM has already OK'd that part of the build, as it played out like this: Character was originally Lesser Drow gladiator (CE) stud who was blessed by Lolth at the request of the priestess for whose house he fought. Bunch of stuff happens, yada yada yada, he leaves the underdark, and his alignment changes to CN. Now non-evil, he's cleared hot for Dragonborn, and is then transported to this current demiplane of gladiatorial conflict. This is all part of the character's journey from evil to good(ish), and the DM uses alignment much more as a guide for the character and his development than a ruler with which to smite one over the head for transgressions. I know it's possible that Lolth might pull the blessings, or that Bahamut might take a former CE Drow pit fighter, but I said it played out that way, and the DM said, "verily it is so", so that part's all good. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-07, 05:27 PM
If you look at the Blood in the Water stance, you might want to reconsider THF and go with TWF instead. If you can get away with Lightning Mace abuse, even more so.

The Viscount
2018-02-07, 08:01 PM
Light Sensitivity can be ignored with Sundark goggles, they cost 10 gp and are found in races of the dragon.

Wings are a solid choice for dragonborn, since flight is something warblade doesn't normally have access to. That +20 to jump will also make tiger claw maneuvers much more attractive.

Warblade is a class that works quite well going full 20. You might look into bloodclaw master, which is pretty good. You being a drow also means you can qualify for Eternal Blade, which takes a while to qualify for, but is quite nice with class features and those tasty devoted spirit maneuvers.

Goaty14
2018-02-07, 08:53 PM

Switch the greatsword to a falchion or go full Tiger Claw and (ab)use dual kukuris.

Either way, with both keen and Improved Crit, you should get a crit range of 12-20 / x2. Then once you use blood in the water, you get a 45% of increasing atk/dmg by 1 for each attack.

Thanatus Mors
2018-02-07, 09:21 PM
Switch the greatsword to a falchion or go full Tiger Claw and (ab)use dual kukuris.
So you think I should forsake the Power Attack --> Leap Attack chain in favor of TWF/crit chain? Probably makes sense, as I just noticed that the DM also said that TWF includes Improved and Greater TWF at the appropriate levels. Probably makes my mind up for me. Dunno though, as I can't come anywhere near close to affording Keen right now. If I go TWF/Crit route, should I rework my stats to increase DEX, or are they fine as they are?

Thanatus Mors
2018-02-14, 01:28 AM
Thanks, gang. Didn’t get a lot of input, but what I did get was helpful. Looks like I’ll rework to TWF build that’s both DEX and STR heavy, just not crazy in one or the other. Thanks again for the input!