PDA

View Full Version : Best Race for a Gloom Stalker

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-07, 06:05 PM
I had a sudden and inexplicable urge to make a gloom stalker and I don't know what race to use. I was thinking maybe a drow or some kind of elf but i would like something a little more exotic (I do have stats for a weretiger that would work well) I was going for CN.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-07, 06:09 PM
I had a sudden and inexplicable urge to make a gloom stalker and I don't know what race to use. I was thinking maybe a drow or some kind of elf but i would like something a little more exotic (I do have stats for a weretiger that would work well) I was going for CN.

look no further than the Gator people.

AKA. Killer Croc

AKA. Lizardfolk. These things were born to be rangers. There's nothing more terrifying than a walking Gator come out of nowhere and bite into your Aorta before dragging you down into the cold swampy depths.

Naanomi
2018-02-07, 06:11 PM
Svirfneblin, their racial feat and already great darkvision are fantastic on a Gloomstalker

mephnick
2018-02-07, 06:13 PM
Try a forest gnome. Talk to squirrels, free minor illusion, a dex bump, darkvision, advantage on mental saves. Take that Fade Away feat for some fun.

Yeah the +2 Int isn't ideal, but who cares.

Nidgit
2018-02-07, 06:18 PM
It's not exotic at all but that Darkvision feature makes Variant Humans an even better choice. Someone had to say it.

Stout Halflings are pretty baller too if you don't mind skipping longbows.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-07, 06:34 PM
I like all the suggestions but I think that the image of a lizard folk gloom stalker is quite cool. Though the forest gnome is tempting there are a lot of cool thing it would give. I think ill go with the lizard folk just because i love the idea of the lizardfolk launching himself out of a swamp and dragging his prey to the bottom.

Caelic
2018-02-07, 06:39 PM
This won't be a popular choice, but I actually quite like Goblin--particularly if you're not planning on multiclassing into Rogue. Dexterity and Constitution are great for a ranger; add in darkvision, no movement penalty for small size, and the ability to hide as a bonus action, and you've got a great sniper.

Matticusrex
2018-02-07, 06:44 PM
V.Human with crossbow expert and sharp shooter is currently the best gloom stalker setup.

rooneg
2018-02-07, 06:59 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of a Half Orc Gloomstalker. It's definitely not optimal (a DEX based build is way better than a STR based one), but it looks like a lot of fun.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-07, 07:04 PM
This won't be a popular choice, but I actually quite like Goblin--particularly if you're not planning on multiclassing into Rogue. Dexterity and Constitution are great for a ranger; add in darkvision, no movement penalty for small size, and the ability to hide as a bonus action, and you've got a great sniper.

this is also very good option.

second only to Killer Croc

I like all the suggestions but I think that the image of a lizard folk gloom stalker is quite cool. Though the forest gnome is tempting there are a lot of cool thing it would give. I think ill go with the lizard folk just because i love the idea of the lizardfolk launching himself out of a swamp and dragging his prey to the bottom.

i also recommend tavern brawler or 1-6 levels of monk at some point. 1 level lets you use dex for bite and always be able to bonus action bite for free. 2 levels gives you flurry of chomps, step of the lizard, and predator's defense. 3 levels gives you a subclass and features, 4 levels an asi and deflect missiles (scales to tough), 5 levels gives you stunning bite, and 6 levels gives you magic bite and a subclass feature.

tavern brawler is a +1 feat, able to use improv weapons, and bonus action grapple.

Zene
2018-02-07, 07:09 PM
Hard to beat the elf races. Elven accuracy is amazing for gloom stalkers, and wood elves have the perfect stat boosts for rangers.

Goblin would be a decent second choice.

wilhelmdubdub
2018-02-07, 07:17 PM
Two Ideas:
Bugbear, as you can set up your surprise for 2D6 very easily if you are invisible in darkness.

Even Better:
Air Genasi. If you are invisible in darkness, levitate yourself. Attack from above and they will never find you.

Naanomi
2018-02-07, 08:48 PM
Triton is fun also... stalk the deepest depths of the lightless ocean

Nidgit
2018-02-07, 09:21 PM
I know I mentioned Stout Halfling earlier, but thinking it over Ghostwise Halfling is even better. Equally good if not better ability bonuses and telepathy that makes you an even better ambusher. Kenku is great too.

Malifice
2018-02-07, 09:44 PM
Svirfneblin, their racial feat and already great darkvision are fantastic on a Gloomstalker

Also the most fluffy choice.

Those guys are cannonically famous for walking around in the underdark under the noses of critters that want to eat their brains, enslave them, or worse.

2D8HP
2018-02-07, 09:53 PM
Without getting Volo's off the high shelf and seeing what's in there (what can I say, I read up on Hags, and a bit on Goblins and Hobgoblins, and forgot the rest).

Wood Elf.

Always Wood Elf unless for RP reasons.

+ 2 DEX, +1 WIS, faster, better at hiding, one could almost play with no class features at all.

Gloom Stalker brings more goodness to Humans (it's hard to beat Darkvision), so that's a great choice if you start at 3rd level.

But for most things?

Wood Elf.

Crgaston
2018-02-08, 08:00 AM
I’ll chime in another vote for the variant Human with the Magic Initiate feat for Control Flames. Being able to turn out the lights and activate your Invisibility is situational, but priceless when it works, and lets your owl give someone else advantage, too.

Throne12
2018-02-08, 08:09 AM
FIRBOLG play a str based gloom stalker. Turn invisible thanks to being a FIRBOLG. Cast Zephyr Strike walk up to you enemy and attack with a great axe,sword or a maul.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-08, 12:16 PM
I think Gnome would be interesting. I have not personally made a gnome before.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-08, 12:18 PM
Variant Human for Sharpshooter at level 1 is pretty great.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-08, 12:23 PM
Honestly, the bonus action Hide on a Gloom Stalker seems like it blows almost everything else out of the water. (Even, alas, poor Lizardfolk)

Silkensword
2018-02-08, 03:44 PM
Bugbear. 2d6 extra damage on turn 1, giving you that turn 1 nova, extra reach, bonus to strength and dex, wonderful race.