PDA

View Full Version : What class plays the most differently from warlocks?

Rfkannen
2018-02-07, 09:15 PM
So there is a chance that I might stop playing my current character, a celestial tome warlock, and I would like to play something very different. What would you say plays the most differently from a warlock?

Dudewithknives
2018-02-07, 09:26 PM
So there is a chance that I might stop playing my current character, a celestial tome warlock, and I would like to play something very different. What would you say plays the most differently from a warlock?

Ancestral guardian barbarian, or battlemaster fighter.

Melee instead of ranged.

Heavy armor instead of light.

Martial instead of caster.

Crap cha and great str instead of the reverse.

Both very good subclasses.

Go with a mountain dwarf or half orc.

Malifice
2018-02-07, 09:46 PM

Grog the Barbarian, destroyer of worlds, taker of skulls, and once and future Thane.

the secret fire
2018-02-07, 10:08 PM
Yeah, a smelly, nose-picking AM BARBARIAN sort of character is probably the furthest from a warlock. Just make him as dumb and oafish as possible.

Kane0
2018-02-07, 10:19 PM
Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger. Monk and paladin also.

What's the rest of you party look like?

Durazno
2018-02-07, 10:20 PM
Champion Fighter might be the most different, especially if you emphasize melee. No buttons to push, just you, your weapon, the basic maneuvers, and your ability to roleplay and improvise.

Rfkannen
2018-02-07, 10:42 PM
Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger. Monk and paladin also.

What's the rest of you party look like?

Dex based eagle barbarian

necromancer wizard with a 1 level dip in fighter

artificer alchemist

cleric

glamour bard

beast master ranger

Kane0
2018-02-07, 10:50 PM
Okay, so you have a barbarian and ranger already so they're out.

That leaves Fighter, Monk, Paladin and Rogue.
The first two are short rest based, paladins are casters and rogues use tons of bonus actions. What appeals to you?

Edit: Or better yet, multiclass. A fighter/rogue could potentially be a great addition to the team.

danpit2991
2018-02-08, 12:11 AM
step 1 half orc

step 2 dump int

step 3 dump cha

step 4 dump wis

step 5 get a huge ass sword or axe

step 6 ??????

step 7 profit

Malifice
2018-02-08, 04:15 AM
Champion Fighter might be the most different, especially if you emphasize melee. No buttons to push, just you, your weapon, the basic maneuvers, and your ability to roleplay and improvise.

Sill short rest based class.

Babarians are melee (check) tanks (check) dont cast spells (check) and are long rest dependent (check).

GROG GET IN FACE AND SMASH.

MrStabby
2018-02-08, 04:34 AM
Probably cleric.

Warlock does same thing nearly every turn. Cleric has huge variety.

Warlock deals damage as focus. Cleric heals, controls, buffs and does damage.

Malifice
2018-02-08, 04:42 AM
Cleric has huge variety.

'I cast bless.'

From 5th level onwards, this is interchanged with Spirit Guardians.

OOC: I cast Cure Wounds.

They buff, heal, spam the odd aura and occasionally make one mediocre melee attack.

MrStabby
2018-02-08, 05:09 AM
'I cast bless.'

From 5th level onwards, this is interchanged with Spirit Guardians.

OOC: I cast Cure Wounds.

They buff, heal, spam the odd aura and occasionally make one mediocre melee attack.

Pretty much. Which is much more variety than a warlock using the same spell for 90% of actions or a fighter who uses the attack action on 90% of rounds.

If a cleric casts bless, even for every fight, they are still going to have a lot more round by round variety than warlocks. And if the cleric is casting bless every turn there is something more deep going wrong.

Malifice
2018-02-08, 05:13 AM
Pretty much. Which is much more variety than a warlock using the same spell for 90% of actions or a fighter who uses the attack action on 90% of rounds.

Huh?

At 3rd level the Warlock has 2/ slots per short rest, plus at will invocations (and a familiar, a melee weapon attack or rituals).

****, my 3rd level Hexblade Warlock was swinging his Greatsword around, and using slots for Hex and Armor of Agathys.

Not sure you can go as far as saying all locks play the same.

MrStabby
2018-02-08, 05:41 AM
Huh?

At 3rd level the Warlock has 2/ slots per short rest, plus at will invocations (and a familiar, a melee weapon attack or rituals).

****, my 3rd level Hexblade Warlock was swinging his Greatsword around, and using slots for Hex and Armor of Agathys.

Not sure you can go as far as saying all locks play the same.

I am not saying all warlocks play the same.

I am saying that for most warlocks, they do the same thing in a round to what they did in the previous round. It might be hit something with an axe or eldritch blast it, but with a maximum of two spell slots per combat till level eleven most actions will look like their others.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-08, 09:13 AM
Probably rogues since they do things warlocks typically don't and (generally) have no resource pool to manage.

But it's hard to say without knowing the role you filled. Celestial tome lock can be a supportive healer or something else entirely.