PDA

View Full Version : Building a drunk dude-need advice!

Snake Eater
2018-02-08, 12:04 AM
So, my play group will be starting a new campaign soon. I will be starting at 2nd level. I am playing a Half-elf (who is also half-halfling as well. I may be size class small, but I still have the 35 move speed from half-wood elf). My stats are as follows:
Str: 11
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 14
I am starting off with 2 (and, eventually 3-maybe 4) levels in Monk. After that, however, I'm not sure where to go. I want to be able to keep the whole silly tavern owner feel, while not falling behind in terms of combat capability. The 6th level ability seems situation at best. Are the abilities I gain at later levels worth it, or are there better options? Anything non-homebrew is allowed (with the exception of things that would be obviously lawful-aligned. For reasons that have yet to be explained, the lawful alignment has been banned outright, as well as things that would be lawful-leaning.) Finally, we are starting the game with one bonus feat. For flavor reasons, I grabbed the Gourmand feat (besides, getting that Con from a 17 to an 18 definitely seems worth it.)

Nidgit
2018-02-08, 02:24 AM
Typical thinking is that Monk is usually best single-classed since they benefit from a large ki pool. That said, you could probably manage a small dip into Fighter, Rogue, or Warlock if you really wanted.

It's worth noting that tavern owners typically aren't the ones drinking much. You shouldn't feel restricted to Drunken Master if that's what you're going for. Way of the Hand, for instance, could be especially useful for kicking people out of your bar.

Malifice
2018-02-08, 04:19 AM
So, my play group will be starting a new campaign soon. I will be starting at 2nd level. I am playing a Half-elf (who is also half-halfling as well. I may be size class small, but I still have the 35 move speed from half-wood elf). My stats are as follows:
Str: 11
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 14
I am starting off with 2 (and, eventually 3-maybe 4) levels in Monk. After that, however, I'm not sure where to go. I want to be able to keep the whole silly tavern owner feel, while not falling behind in terms of combat capability. The 6th level ability seems situation at best. Are the abilities I gain at later levels worth it, or are there better options? Anything non-homebrew is allowed (with the exception of things that would be obviously lawful-aligned. For reasons that have yet to be explained, the lawful alignment has been banned outright, as well as things that would be lawful-leaning.) Finally, we are starting the game with one bonus feat. For flavor reasons, I grabbed the Gourmand feat (besides, getting that Con from a 17 to an 18 definitely seems worth it.)

Drunken Master Monk for sure. Dont forget proficiency in Brewers supplies.

Instead of Gourmand feat, consider a feat that can be refluffed. Inspirational Leader (refluffing people drinking one of your famous ales to get Temp HP) or similar.

Id be pretty keen on rocking a Dwarf too. Not for any reason other than the hilarity of it (a Con of 20 is nice too).

Specter
2018-02-08, 08:21 AM
Drunken Master should be fun to play if you stick to its strenghts. That is, you can attack a foe up to four times and still disengage. That allows you to either go towards a more important target (like casters) or to retreat safely if you are injured, or if you have another frontline buddy.

Here's something fun to do with Redirect Attack (level 6): have your frontline buddy attack you with his eyes closed (disadvantage) and an improvised weapon if possible (no prof. bonus to the roll). Then use your reaction to divert that failed attack against you to the enemy. It's one of the few ways to make sure an attack hits, and the roleplaying should be fun too ("no time to explain - close your eyes and hit me!").