PDA

View Full Version : X-follower of an Elder Evil

Yogibear41
2018-02-08, 03:39 AM
A character who devotes himself to an elder evil gain's bonus [vile] feats according to the Elder Evils book.

However, what would happen if a character more or less came to his or her senses enough to stop following said elder evil, but continued to maintain an evil alignment. Would said character be able to keep the bonus [vile] feats he previously attained? (the book says nothing one way or another, just seeing what people think)

hamishspence
2018-02-08, 08:12 AM
Vile feats are called out as supernaturally granted in BOVD, with an emphasis on how they can be revoked "at the granter's discretion".

So - demon-based feats, one might expect to be revoked if the character defected to the devils but remained evil.

In the same way, it makes sense that if an elder evil caught one of its minions "committing treachery against it" - it would withdraw anything granted.

However, it might not be able to sense a person "ceasing to be devoted to its agenda" - I'd suggest it needs to be shown that the person is no longer loyal, to withdraw power.

umbergod
2018-02-08, 09:21 AM
Vile feats are called out as supernaturally granted in BOVD, with an emphasis on how they can be revoked "at the granter's discretion".

So - demon-based feats, one might expect to be revoked if the character defected to the devils but remained evil.

In the same way, it makes sense that if an elder evil caught one of its minions "committing treachery against it" - it would withdraw anything granted.

However, it might not be able to sense a person "ceasing to be devoted to its agenda" - I'd suggest it needs to be shown that the person is no longer loyal, to withdraw power.

What about the willing deformity vile feats? They physically alter the subject that takes said feats, would those be lost?

hamishspence
2018-02-08, 09:26 AM
That's a little trickier - but I could see the mechanical benefits being lost.

Something like "Your nails are still pointed, but they're not hardened anymore - you can no longer make claw attacks"

And so forth.

umbergod
2018-02-08, 09:29 AM
That's a little trickier - but I could see the mechanical benefits being lost.

Something like "Your nails are still pointed, but they're not hardened anymore - you can no longer make claw attacks"

And so forth.

Your arms are still lengthened but now lack the power to give you proper reach?

Idk i see Elder Evils as greatly uncaring about individuals unless they begin actively working against the EE agendab but thats just my 2cp

hamishspence
2018-02-08, 09:41 AM
It might depend on how much agenda the being has - but I'd go with most needing to be shown overtly that a servant has turned traitor, to revoke that servant's powers.

Or at least, being told by a witness that the Elder Evil trusts

So - if the Elder Evil's underling joins the party opposing it - there's a fight with a senior underling - who does not get killed but lives and reports back "This guy has turned traitor to you" - he'd lose powers after that.

Bronk
2018-02-08, 09:44 AM
What about the willing deformity vile feats? They physically alter the subject that takes said feats, would those be lost?

They would be lost... they physically alter the subject, but they're supernatural in nature. The character's body would even go back to normal in a dead magic zone, for example.

umbergod
2018-02-08, 09:48 AM
They would be lost... they physically alter the subject, but they're supernatural in nature. The character's body would even go back to normal in a dead magic zone, for example.

Can I get a source for that, as I'm AFB and my google-fu is weak, i found nothing stating vile feats are supernatural in origin

Doctor Awkward
2018-02-08, 09:55 AM
Can I get a source for that, as I'm AFB and my google-fu is weak, i found nothing stating vile feats are supernatural in origin

On page 47 of the Book of Vile Darkness, it explicitly states that all Vile feats are supernatural abilities rather than extraordinary. Wiling Deformity is tagged as a [Vile] feat. I checked there first because that as far as I know that was the first place they were introduced, so I'm not sure about any more recent sources.

EDIT: Both the Elder Evils book and Heroes of Horror make direct reference to the Book of Vile Darkness when discussing Vile feats. Heroes of Horror updates the mechanical benefits of Willing Deformity, but neither of them address the nature of Vile feats beyond the original source. I'm inclined to think that Vile feats are therefore supernatural in nature, since nothing seems to contradict the text in the Book of Vile Darkness.

umbergod
2018-02-08, 09:58 AM
On page 47 of the Book of Vile Darkness, it explicitly states that all Vile feats are supernatural abilities rather than extraordinary. Wiling Deformity is tagged as a [Vile] feat. I checked there first because that as far as I know that was the first place they were introduced, so I'm not sure about any more recent sources.

Oh wow, did 3.0 supernatural effects persist thru dead magic zones or were they not thinking about the side effects of that? I know Heroes of Horror has some vile feats updated but not sure if it changes that particular rule