PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Character help

Zanthy1
2018-02-08, 08:27 AM
Yesterday I thought about making a character that would essentially be a middle line fighter slash spellcaster, but wouldn't need to wear any armor or carry a weapon. The idea I had was a hexblade sorcerer mix (probably draconic for that AC bonus). I wanted to gauge the playground on some ideas for a character that is heavy charisma melee combatant with spell casting capabilities, like a spell sword. I don't want pure hexblade, so I am torn between sorcerer or bard.

Specific questions: How many levels of hexblade should I take (minimum 1)? How would you build a character who can walk into a room naked and still be an effective combatant? What feats might you suggest?

A side note if Shadow Blade can be worked in i'm all for it because I love the concept of that spell.

Vaz
2018-02-08, 08:35 AM
What is it you want from Sorc/Bard? Take up to that level, the rest Hexblade.

Zanthy1
2018-02-08, 08:58 AM
What is it you want from Sorc/Bard? Take up to that level, the rest Hexblade.

Thats the thing, I feel like I want to be a mostly full caster who is also a potent melee combatant. The warlocks limited spells is troubling for me, and I'd want to focus more on spellcasting rather than melee, but still be able to hit hard

Vogie
2018-02-08, 09:11 AM
If you're talking about being melee without wearing armor or using weapons, that's just monk. Monk/Warlock or Monk/Sorc is a bit MAD, but more feasible if you're starting at higher levels.

I'd suggest Monk/Cleric, if you want more spellcasting, or Monk/Ranger (Mariner or Tunnel Fighter Fighting style) if you want lesser spellcasting, but more flexibility in martial prowess.

If you do have the stats for a Monk/Warlock, going Sun Soul Monk 6 / Seeker Warlock X could be pretty awesome. That way you can have the bulk of the Monk boons, including extra attacks (and a faux-action surge), reliable radiant "unarmed" strikes even at range, Stunning strikes, et cetera, plus all of the invocations and full spell casting of Warlock, including their Shielding Aurora to gain resistance to all damage for an entire turn. As for the pact choices:

Star Chain: You'll have the foresight to know ahead of time if you're running into a trap
Chain: You'll have a familiar who can fight alongside you
Tome: You can pick & choose touch spells from other class lists