PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Just hit level 4, which Feat/ASI should I take?

Khrysaes
2018-02-08, 09:00 AM
As the title says, I just hit level 4.

In out of the abyss, with a Wood elf Gloom stalker Ranger and I just leveled after killing Blopbippod in Sloobudop. Then Demigorgan jumped out of the lake and the session ended.

My character plan is to multiclass rogue probably at character level 6, after gaining extra attack.

Below are the list of ASI/Feats I am interested in. I have 17 Dex right now.

My party consists of a level 3 Wolf Totem Barbarian, a level 3 Unknown type of Ranger(He got level 3 when I got level 4), a level 3 Trickery Cleric, a level 3 Unknown type of fighter, a level 3 Moon Druid, and a level 3 Thief Rogue.

I dont know what ASI/Feat I should take at level 4. I am thinking Elven Accuracy because of the synergy with the Barbarian and the boost to 18 dexterity. It would be less damage than Sharpshooter, but more consistent damage with 3 dice and a lot of advantage.

What are some other thoughts

Tentative Level Split goals:
First 5 ranger/3 rogue.
Then 8 Gloom Stalker/8 Inquisitive/4 Champion

Tentative ASI goals:
Elven Accuracy
Sharpshooter
Skulker
+2 Stat(Dex)
Resilience(Con)

Specter
2018-02-08, 09:22 AM
When in doubt, +2 DEX. Too much good stuff happening there.

Sharpshooter works best with a maxed DEX anyway.

Consensus
2018-02-08, 09:29 AM
elven accuracy sounds like a great pick

Everstar
2018-02-08, 10:14 AM
When in doubt, +2 DEX. Too much good stuff happening there.

Sharpshooter works best with a maxed DEX anyway.

I second +2 DEX. Unless you have something specific in mind for your built that a feat will get you, go with the ASI.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-08, 10:18 AM
At this point in time, have you experienced a lot of engagements where shots are taken at long range, or where there is partial or 3/4 cover? If that's what you think will be common, sharpshooter might be a good take.

I'd be strongly tempted to go elven accuracy at this point, however. Your party is big enough to where you can benefit from the barb synergy, and you get that +1 to your armor class, +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and +1 to initiative, as well as another +1 to dex saves. with that bump in proficiency. The other features of elven accuracy in terms of damage boost are hard to argue against.

I'd save the +2 Dex for level 12, and get a feat at 8. I'd tend to suggest the +Con resilient feat at that point since we have found monster damage to ramp up a bit in the later parts of tier 2.

Khrysaes
2018-02-08, 10:34 AM
At this point in time, have you experienced a lot of engagements where shots are taken at long range, or where there is partial or 3/4 cover? If that's what you think will be common, sharpshooter might be a good take.

I'd be strongly tempted to go elven accuracy at this point, however. Your party is big enough to where you can benefit from the barb synergy, and you get that +1 to your armor class, +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and +1 to initiative, as well as another +1 to dex saves. with that bump in proficiency. The other features of elven accuracy in terms of damage boost are hard to argue against.

I'd save the +2 Dex for level 12, and get a feat at 8. I'd tend to suggest the +Con resilient feat at that point since we have found monster damage to ramp up a bit in the later parts of tier 2.

I haven't experienced anyone with cover. yet. I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot though.

As for +2 dex, in response to the others. +2 dex would get me to 19, a +4 bonus. Elven accuracy on the other hand can boost it to 18, still a +4 bonus, and increase my synergy with the Wolf Totem Barbarian.

I think I am going to pick elven accuracy. The bonus to attack, initiative, damage, skills, and AC and advantage seems like the most gain at level 4.

level 9(5 ranger/4 rogue), Ill probably take sharpshooter, maybe resilient con.

Citan
2018-02-08, 03:50 PM
I haven't experienced anyone with cover. yet. I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot though.

As for +2 dex, in response to the others. +2 dex would get me to 19, a +4 bonus. Elven accuracy on the other hand can boost it to 18, still a +4 bonus, and increase my synergy with the Wolf Totem Barbarian.

I think I am going to pick elven accuracy. The bonus to attack, initiative, damage, skills, and AC and advantage seems like the most gain at level 4.

level 9(5 ranger/4 rogue), Ill probably take sharpshooter, maybe resilient con.
Go with Elvent Accuracy. By far the best choice for you considering...
1) Seems Sharpshooter would be overkill so far (you'll still get it later won't you? ;)).
2) Elven Accuracy is stupidly good so take the chance to benefit from it.

ESPECIALLY if your Druid gets the habit of using Faerie Fire.
With triple advantage, you'll basically get the most reliable sustained damage of anyone in your party, and this will also cover the situations in which enemies... Get cover. ;)

As well as making Hunter's Mark the best concentration buff you can sustain usually, but also being extra sure to apply a chance debuff with Ensnaring Strike and such (at least the first step -hit- can be anticipated).

AND you get, right at level 4, an ability modifier that is usually achieved best case at level 8, often at 12...
You'll just soooo rock man! o/