PDA

View Full Version : Hobgoblin battlemage build

that_one_kobold
2018-02-08, 09:50 AM
I was listening to Black Sabbath one day, when the song "the wizard" came on. That was when I knew It was time for another wizard build. Anyways, I'm trying to build around a wizard who has the versatile casting a regular wizard has, but can also hold his own in melee. I want to build around the hobgoblin race, thinking of just going full war wizard. What do you guys think is optimal?

Blackbando
2018-02-08, 10:25 AM
I'm away from my books right now, but I believe Saving Face can work on spell attacks. That could be fun, letting you use focus on some more spell attacks as compared to saving throw.

Also, while I doubt it's exactly what you're going for, Bladesinger on a hobgoblin is very good thematically and mechanically, assuming your DM handwaves the elf restriction.

Throne12
2018-02-08, 10:43 AM
Well you can go bladesinger (if DM lets) then there is adjuration, war and divination that makes good battlemages. The hobgoblin gets a couple of weapons and light armor. I had a hobgoblin war wizard when Xander's came out. I used studded leather and a whip at 4th level I picked up spellsniper so I could green flame blade at the whips full range. I would have dragons breath casted on my owl familiar. Then use the shield ability from war wizard. But if I was to remake this character I would go with adjuration. Because later I can use steel wind strike and Tenser's transformation. The adjuration gives that nice arcane ward and later Resistance to magic.