PDA

View Full Version : starting at 2nd level with only 130 gp psion

you randomly
2018-02-08, 10:06 AM
so i'm struggling to decide what things i should buy considering im an elan and i have call item so i just feel like anything i buy will be kind of a waste

im wondering if anyone on the playground could help me decide or point me in the right direction

edit*
for those wanting for information this is an open world game with more of a focus on politics,
the books that will be are allowed is pretty much anything we can get our hands on and show the gm
which means we're using a lot of DSP material

we are using 3.pf rules

im playing an erudite
my stats are:
str 11
dex 10
con 12
int 18
wis 12
cha 12-2=10

some of the other players who I will be meeting soon will be
a fighter (trip)
and possibly a rogue

Diarmuid
2018-02-08, 11:17 AM
Tough to help out without more information. What kind of game is it intended to be, what role are you looking to play, what other roles are in the party, what books are allowed?

Sure. Call Item is versatile but so are your PP's.

At low levels, it's probably worth buying some armor and a buckler. No, you're not proficient, but things with small or no ACP work as they dont impact manifesting like spell failure.

Vizzerdrix
2018-02-08, 11:47 AM
Shapesand. And a backpack to cary it in. Bonus if you are allowed to craft it yourself so you can get 3.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-08, 12:03 PM
Seconding armor + shield. In your position i'd buy a chain shirt, heavy wooden shield and some sling bullets. The sling and club or quarterstaff are free.

you randomly
2018-02-08, 12:33 PM
okay I've edited my original post to make things clear

GrayDeath
2018-02-08, 01:03 PM
Stats are a bit weird, pointbuy or rolled?

As for your Equipment: if you are not expecting to actually fight too soon (as the games focus says) I`d say simply either save them up (are you going to be closer to WBL later or does the DM not use it then either?) or spend it for absolute core important Items for a Psion...ergo something to patch you back up. YOu dont need more/cant afford more...

you randomly
2018-02-08, 01:07 PM
Stats are a bit weird, pointbuy or rolled?

As for your Equipment: if you are not expecting to actually fight too soon (as the games focus says) I`d say simply either save them up (are you going to be closer to WBL later or does the DM not use it then either?) or spend it for absolute core important Items for a Psion...ergo something to patch you back up. YOu dont need more/cant afford more...

the stats are 32 point buy, im not sure how my wealth will looking in the future the gm is new so i'll point him towards the WBL table so has an idea of the economy

i can re do the stats as the game wont start till this saturday if you think i've made a mistake

so you suggest getting a chain shirt and buckler to help beef up my defence just in case and save the rest?

Diarmuid
2018-02-08, 01:19 PM
I dont know that I'd go all the way up to a chain shirt, but at the very least I would go leather + buckler, or simply studded leather.

I probably wouldnt want more than -1 ACP to my attacks to start unless I was REALLY sure I wasnt going to be making many attacks. But if that's really the case, then you probably dont actually need the armor.

What are you planning to do during combats? At such low levels a light crossbow is almost never a bad idea, but can be pricey and heavy depending on your strength. The sling is certainly a lot cheaper, but both require the use of 2 hands.

GrayDeath
2018-02-08, 01:24 PM
the stats are 32 point buy, im not sure how my wealth will looking in the future the gm is new so i'll point him towards the WBL table so has an idea of the economy

i can re do the stats as the game wont start till this saturday if you think i've made a mistake

so you suggest getting a chain shirt and buckler to help beef up my defence just in case and save the rest?

str 11 -1 10
dex 10 +2 12
con 12 +1 13
int 18 18
wis 12 12
cha 12-2=10 -2 8

Thats what I`d do, raising Con to 14 at Level 4, then raising Int.
Or, if you expect a really more social Campaign (though then the question remains where the Cha Malus comes from/why you took a race with one, which btw?) you can rearrange by reducing Intelligence to 17, and dispersing the freed points to Charisma. Usually, unless youa re going for high OP, pointbuy cHaracters should not amx their main attribute at the start, as they wont need the maximum value (for Spells etc) until later Levels any way, and it gives you more pts to round the character.

If the GM is new, tell him of WBL asap, and point out that, even for Psions, that little money is a BAD Idea, however its catastrophic for martials.
He probably just gave you enough (in his mind) for Beginners without giving it a deeper thought/knowing his stuff. happens to new GM`s a lot, just be lear that youa re trying to help him.

And yeah, that should be more than enough, if the DM insists on this weird Starting money. :)

Crake
2018-02-08, 01:44 PM

Those stats add up to 33 point buy:

11: 3 points
10: 2 points
12: 4 points
18: 16 points

3+2+4+16+4+4 = 33

you randomly
2018-02-08, 02:02 PM
str 11 -1 10
dex 10 +2 12
con 12 +1 13
int 18 18
wis 12 12
cha 12-2=10 -2 8

Thats what I`d do, raising Con to 14 at Level 4, then raising Int.
Or, if you expect a really more social Campaign (though then the question remains where the Cha Malus comes from/why you took a race with one, which btw?) you can rearrange by reducing Intelligence to 17, and dispersing the freed points to Charisma. Usually, unless youa re going for high OP, pointbuy cHaracters should not amx their main attribute at the start, as they wont need the maximum value (for Spells etc) until later Levels any way, and it gives you more pts to round the character.

If the GM is new, tell him of WBL asap, and point out that, even for Psions, that little money is a BAD Idea, however its catastrophic for martials.
He probably just gave you enough (in his mind) for Beginners without giving it a deeper thought/knowing his stuff. happens to new GM`s a lot, just be lear that youa re trying to help him.

And yeah, that should be more than enough, if the DM insists on this weird Starting money. :)

the reason I didnt want to have a minus in cha but I still took elan is kind of due to the back story, also becasue elan is a prerequisite for a prestige class I'm going to take later

also I put the str at 11 just to try and get a little extra carrying capacity just in case it came up

the gm used two lots of starting gold as the our starting money as we are starting at level 2

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-08, 03:21 PM
the gm used two lots of starting gold as the our starting money as we are starting at level 2

WBL for a 2nd level PC is 900gp (DMG p.135).

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-09, 02:40 PM
I'd craft some shapesand and form one into armor and another into a Medium sandblaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization). Don't worry about Exotic Weapon Proficiency, as you won't be making attack rolls with it. Use the remaining shapesand for utility stuff. Then get a lot of sand ammo (which weigh a lot less due to being smaller).

Alternatively, buy a few 25 gp 1st level power stones to expand your repertoire of powers.