PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Maps and stuffs

Shadowbane13
2018-02-08, 10:56 AM
Does anyone use an special program on a computer to draw a world map or city map? I've used roll20 before but was wondering if there was any other maybe more effective programs people may use. I'm mainly looking to build a world map for my players for my campaign and did not really want to use MS paint. Thanks for the help.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-08, 11:18 AM
Does anyone use an special program on a computer to draw a world map or city map? I've used roll20 before but was wondering if there was any other maybe more effective programs people may use. I'm mainly looking to build a world map for my players for my campaign and did not really want to use MS paint. Thanks for the help.

I use Worldographer (http://worldographer.com/). It's not the prettiest, and is super resource heavy on a computer (especially with big maps), but it works well for hex-style mapping.

There's also a product by the same company for cities, but it's too fiddly for my skills. I tend to draw city maps more abstractly (only laying out the districts) using powerpoint (for the shapes) and GIMP (for the more detailed parts).

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-08, 11:47 AM
I just use a ruler a compass and a pencil. I draw out all my maps because I have not been able to find something to help me but its worked so far.

Tiwanoz
2018-02-08, 03:47 PM
I know you said that mspaint wasn't your thing, but you can do a lot of basemap work with it. Then add layers for effects like terrain, names, roads and cities with programs like paint.net and gimp, which are both free.

Unseenmal
2018-02-08, 04:28 PM
I use Campaign Cartographer 3 (https://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp). The price tag for the 3 Base programs bundle is a little steep @ $99. That includes Campaign Cartographer 3+ for making world maps, City Designer for...well...cities and Dungeon Designer for, you guessed it, Dungeons. I bought it a few years ago but I've gotten a good bit of use out of it. If I was home, I could post some of the maps I've made. If you are willing to spend that much, it's a great program.

Oh and they offer free tutorial videos that show you step by step on how to make maps.

Shadowbane13
2018-02-11, 10:15 AM
I ended up finding inkscape and using that. Only down side was once I got like 30+ layers it started to lag a bit loading and zooming and stuff. But it worked out rather well. Thanks for the input though guys

MBControl
2018-02-11, 10:05 PM
I used Inkarnate. It was beta when I started so it was free then, but not sure about now.

Quick to learn and makes great world maps.

Sigreid
2018-02-12, 08:35 PM
I second campaign cartographer 3. It's pretty good.