PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PFS Mutagenic Mauler with MoMS dip

nmitchell2
2018-02-08, 11:34 AM
I want to build a Brawler who focuses upon being a primary damage dealer using the Dragon and Pummelling styles. I'm relatively inexperienced and don't have the system mastery to truly get the most out of Martial Flexibility, I feel more comfortable simply being able to pop Mutagen when I need it. The only way I can use both styles simultaneously is to dip into Master of Many Styles, I'm thinking a two-level dip at 3rd and 4th and using the bonus feats to pick up the styles and picking up Dragon Ferocity using my 5th level feat and Pummelling Charge using my 9th level feat. Is there a more optimal path to accomplish my build and if so what? Nothing is set in stone apart from Brawler using both styles simultaneously, go nuts.

Florian
2018-02-08, 12:05 PM
Varisian Free-Hand Fighter is actually interesting. Martial Flexibility stacks with Brawler and the 3rd level Free Fighting Style will allow two styles to be active.

Psyren
2018-02-08, 12:31 PM
The only way to truly use the styles simultaneously is via MoMS as you noted. However, for a slight damage dip you can benefit from both styles in a different way, by using Combat Style Master - this lets you switch between the two as a free action. This will allow you to charge through allies and difficult terrain with Dragon Style, then switch to Pummeling Style once you reach your opponent and hit them with your pounce attack, all without losing any Brawler levels.

You will lose the damage bonus from Dragon Ferocity but by keeping the Brawler levels, you won't delay things like your Martial Flexibility progression or bonus feats, mutagen and beastmorph progression, giving you more utility in exchange.

nmitchell2
2018-02-08, 06:26 PM
The only way to truly use the styles simultaneously is via MoMS as you noted. However, for a slight damage dip you can benefit from both styles in a different way, by using Combat Style Master - this lets you switch between the two as a free action. This will allow you to charge through allies and difficult terrain with Dragon Style, then switch to Pummeling Style once you reach your opponent and hit them with your pounce attack, all without losing any Brawler levels.

You will lose the damage bonus from Dragon Ferocity but by keeping the Brawler levels, you won't delay things like your Martial Flexibility progression or bonus feats, mutagen and beastmorph progression, giving you more utility in exchange.

Hmmm, the original idea was to charge through difficult terrain and get the extra damage of Dragon Style/Ferocity while pouncing via Pummelling Charge. In practice this is likely good enough but doesn't achieve what I was aiming for. The other idea I had was to only take one level of Monk as that gives me Fuse Style and just use a normal feat on the other style feat. Which is probably the best compromise thinking about it.

Is it PFS legal to use MoMS with the Unchained Monk? If so then that's an easy change.

Psyren
2018-02-09, 01:34 AM
Hmmm, the original idea was to charge through difficult terrain and get the extra damage of Dragon Style/Ferocity while pouncing via Pummelling Charge. In practice this is likely good enough but doesn't achieve what I was aiming for. The other idea I had was to only take one level of Monk as that gives me Fuse Style and just use a normal feat on the other style feat. Which is probably the best compromise thinking about it.

I haven't crunched the numbers (and likely won't - no offense) but it is entirely possible that the extra 0.5*STR per hit you get from Dragon Ferocity is worth losing Brawler progression, BAB, and the various monk restrictions to get Fuse Style. For me personally though, the elegance of being a single-class Brawler would outweigh the lost damage, particularly on an archetype like Mutagenic Mauler that cares a bit more about your brawler levels. That's just me though, if your goal is to max out your damage then some dipping is probably warranted.

Is it PFS legal to use MoMS with the Unchained Monk? If so then that's an easy change.

It's not - sorry. Only archetypes that specify they work with Unchained Monk (read: the ones printed after it came out) are legal with it.

nmitchell2
2018-02-09, 04:33 AM
I haven't crunched the numbers (and likely won't - no offense) but it is entirely possible that the extra 0.5*STR per hit you get from Dragon Ferocity is worth losing Brawler progression, BAB, and the various monk restrictions to get Fuse Style. For me personally though, the elegance of being a single-class Brawler would outweigh the lost damage, particularly on an archetype like Mutagenic Mauler that cares a bit more about your brawler levels. That's just me though, if your goal is to max out your damage then some dipping is probably warranted.

It's not - sorry. Only archetypes that specify they work with Unchained Monk (read: the ones printed after it came out) are legal with it.

My goal is indeed to maximise damage. I think I will be dipping one level of MoMS at 3rd before continuing as a Brawler. Thanks for the advice.