PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other What LA is this Race?

Goladar
2018-02-08, 02:25 PM
What it says on the tin. Thanks!

Wemic

Racial traits:

Monstrous Humanoid

Large: As Large creatures, wemics suffer a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC. They also suffer a -4 penalty on Hide checks. They use Medium size weapons, but their lifting and carrying limits are twice those of Medium-sized characters.

+6 Str, +2 Con, -4 Cha, -2 Int

+8 bonus on Athletics(I merged Run, Jump, and Climb skills) checks

Darkvision 60'

Natural Attacks: Wemics can make 2 claw attacks, dealing 1d6 points of damage each. A wemic can attack with a one-handed weapon at his normal attack bonus, and make a claw attack as a secondary attack (-5 penalty on the attack roll, and half Strength bonus on the damage roll).

Wemic facing is 10 feet. They have a reach of 5 feet.

Proficient with all simple weapons and shields.

aimlessPolymath
2018-02-08, 02:42 PM
Around +1 or +2. It's stronger (physically) than the next most comparable race, Goliaths, but doesn't quite have that much more.

Hugh Mann
2018-02-08, 02:57 PM
It depends, what type of creature is it? Is it humanoid?

Goladar
2018-02-08, 02:59 PM
Monstrous Humanoid

Hugh Mann
2018-02-08, 03:12 PM
Then, yeah, +1 or +2

Goladar
2018-02-08, 09:03 PM
Would it be LA+2 if I added +4 Natural Armor?

aimlessPolymath
2018-02-08, 10:54 PM
I think +2 would be enough to push it over the line, really.

Consider alternatively 1 racial hit die and +1 level adjustment- this provides a few hit points and HD to shore up level 1. You still miss out on class features like normal, but your chassis is less bad.

Eloel
2018-02-09, 04:20 PM
I think +2 would be enough to push it over the line, really.

Consider alternatively 1 racial hit die and +1 level adjustment- this provides a few hit points and HD to shore up level 1. You still miss out on class features like normal, but your chassis is less bad.

RHD can't be bought off, so in the long run this is worse than LA.

brian 333
2018-02-09, 04:47 PM
Wemics are lion-human centaurs, for those who don't know.

Question:
Are you using the monster as a playable race rules? Or are you starting your characters at 1HD?

Using the Monster rules, it would begin play, (off the top of my head memory) as a 5HD creature with 1exp in a PC class. ECL +5 from that base.

Using a PC class beginning at Level 1, it is barely a +1ECL

The difference is the HD of the monster, which would be lacking in a PC.

Recommendation: if begining as a normal PC, create a PrC limited to Wemics with 5 levels, and require the player to take 1 PrC level per regular class level or per two class levels. The PrC would incorporate the Monster abilities and feats as the PC levels up, resulting in full incorporation of the monster abilities at Level 10, or 15.

This way you can add 1 point of Str per level, etc and avoid the somewhat confusing ECL rules all together, but still end up with the full array of monster abilities at PrC Level 5.