PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Please help build a Half Elf Divine Soul Sorcerer

mistermarv
2018-02-08, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a build advice for my Half Elf Sorcerer for an up and coming D&D session. We will play until hitting about level 10-15. Currently, what my level 1 character stats is as follows:

Half Elf Divine Soul Sorcerer
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Skills Chosen: Stealth, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation

Stats (include half-elf modifiers): 8/15/14/13/16/20 – we do dice rolls

Spells:

Cantrip: Toll of the Dead, Minor Illusion, Guidance, Mage Hand
01: Disguise Self, Guiding Bolt

I plan to play him as a Blaster and Sociopath character. He would be like an arcane Bobba Fett, hunting and tracking bounty targets and doesn’t mind manipulating people via magic or social skills to get what he wants and if words doesn’t work, he blast them to dusts with his magic.

He prefers to do things quietly via social interaction and prefer blasting people as a last resort so I will be taking Subtle Spell as one of my metamagics.

However, unsure of what spells and metamagics I should choose next.

My other parties includes:

A Goliath Storm Herald Barbarian
A Variant Human Cavalier
A Half Orc Cleric of Talos
A Tabaxi Ranger
A Rogue (not sure what races yet)

Matrix_Walker
2018-02-08, 07:51 PM
Based on your description, you'll want the Freinds cantrip (and later, Charm and Suggestion) for subtle social shenanigans.

mistermarv
2018-02-08, 10:53 PM
Thank you, would you have a spell suggestions for combat situation as a striker/blaster from the cleric and sorcerer list? i was thinking of grabbing spiritual weapon because i can cast a spell and then attack my enemy as a bonus action.

What metamagic and feats would you recommend for my character?

Galadhrim
2018-02-09, 02:22 PM
Thank you, would you have a spell suggestions for combat situation as a striker/blaster from the cleric and sorcerer list? i was thinking of grabbing spiritual weapon because i can cast a spell and then attack my enemy as a bonus action.

What metamagic and feats would you recommend for my character?

One thing you need to decide is what spell will you concentrate on. Even as a blaster, it is important to have some concentration effect in place as a lot of your power comes from those spells.

Most of your blasting spells will likely come from the sorcerer list. I would think of blasting as aoe or single target. You have your single target in guiding bolt. A good choice since radiant damage is rarely resisted. Another option would be chromatic orb. It gives you a lot of versatility since you can pick the element and versatility is key with the sorcerer's limited spell list.

It looks like your party needs some aoe (well it actually looks like your party needs some control/debuff but that isn't what you wanted to do). That fits nicely with a blaster. Level 2 shatter might be nice. At level 3, fireball is a blaster's dream. If you are going for aoe blasting, heightened can be useful even if it tends to be rated lower than other metamagics. Careful is also nice, but works better with control spells than blasting since your party will still take half damage. quickened is nice if you want to drop a fireball and then hit your primary target again with a cantrip or if you need to blast and escape. Cast your spell as a bonus action and then take the disengage or dodge action. Twinned I find to be most useful on control type sorcerers since it lets you essentially double your concentration. So...subtle (locked in) and either heightened or quickened early on, the other one as your 3rd option later.

Are you planning to take mage armor? It seems like currently your AC will be 12. Ouch. You need some spells to help you survive. Mage armor, misty step, blur or mirror image are good low level options.

You don't get many spells, so spells that can be upcast are important, as well as spells that can fill more than one role or will be resisted very infrequently.

mistermarv
2018-02-13, 05:54 PM
One thing you need to decide is what spell will you concentrate on. Even as a blaster, it is important to have some concentration effect in place as a lot of your power comes from those spells.

Most of your blasting spells will likely come from the sorcerer list. I would think of blasting as aoe or single target. You have your single target in guiding bolt. A good choice since radiant damage is rarely resisted. Another option would be chromatic orb. It gives you a lot of versatility since you can pick the element and versatility is key with the sorcerer's limited spell list.

It looks like your party needs some aoe (well it actually looks like your party needs some control/debuff but that isn't what you wanted to do). That fits nicely with a blaster. Level 2 shatter might be nice. At level 3, fireball is a blaster's dream. If you are going for aoe blasting, heightened can be useful even if it tends to be rated lower than other metamagics. Careful is also nice, but works better with control spells than blasting since your party will still take half damage. quickened is nice if you want to drop a fireball and then hit your primary target again with a cantrip or if you need to blast and escape. Cast your spell as a bonus action and then take the disengage or dodge action. Twinned I find to be most useful on control type sorcerers since it lets you essentially double your concentration. So...subtle (locked in) and either heightened or quickened early on, the other one as your 3rd option later.

Are you planning to take mage armor? It seems like currently your AC will be 12. Ouch. You need some spells to help you survive. Mage armor, misty step, blur or mirror image are good low level options.

You don't get many spells, so spells that can be upcast are important, as well as spells that can fill more than one role or will be resisted very infrequently.

Hi Galadhrim,

You're right! I almost forgot about Armor. I will take "Mage Armor" and "Shield" for protection.

Some of the spells that I was thinking of grabbing are:

> Mage Armor + Shield = For Armor Purpose
> Suggestion + Alter Self + Detect Thought = For Social Interaction
> Guiding Bolt + Chromatic Orb + Eldritch Blast (Via Magic Initiate and combined with Hex) = For Single Target Purpose
> Fireball = For AOE
> Bless = For the added 1D4 Dice

Does the spells coming from Magic Initiate counted as part of the 14 Spells of Sorcerer that I will get since our game will only play until level 15

Citan
2018-02-14, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for a build advice for my Half Elf Sorcerer for an up and coming D&D session. We will play until hitting about level 10-15. Currently, what my level 1 character stats is as follows:

Half Elf Divine Soul Sorcerer
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Skills Chosen: Stealth, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation

Stats (include half-elf modifiers): 8/15/14/13/16/20 – we do dice rolls

Spells:

Cantrip: Toll of the Dead, Minor Illusion, Guidance, Mage Hand
01: Disguise Self, Guiding Bolt

I plan to play him as a Blaster and Sociopath character. He would be like an arcane Bobba Fett, hunting and tracking bounty targets and doesn’t mind manipulating people via magic or social skills to get what he wants and if words doesn’t work, he blast them to dusts with his magic.

He prefers to do things quietly via social interaction and prefer blasting people as a last resort so I will be taking Subtle Spell as one of my metamagics.

However, unsure of what spells and metamagics I should choose next.

My other parties includes:

A Goliath Storm Herald Barbarian
A Variant Human Cavalier
A Half Orc Cleric of Talos
A Tabaxi Ranger
A Rogue (not sure what races yet)
Hi!
Well, your party seems very balanced, with the exception of direct control and AOE, so I'd put my view there...

Considering that and your will to do things in a more subtle way, I'd suggest you to take Heightened as your second metamagic with Suggestion and Phantasmal Force or Hold person.
While Suggestion is more complex to use in an hostile context, it can still be useful.
And an Heightened Hold Person makes the spell much less "gambly" and so provides a definite advantage to your party.

With that said, if your DM goes by RAW, Careful may be the upper choice here together with Web or Stinking Cloud or spells like that (basically, spells that alter battlefield for a duration).
Beware though you cannot stack

xen
2018-04-08, 10:10 PM
Not sure i see the need for chromatic orb when you have guiding bolt and eldritch blast. Those are 2 of the least resisted damage types by far and are overall more useful. What about twin? Twinned guiding bolt is cheap and your martials will love you. Maybe trade out your chromatic orb for haste later. A twinned haste is always a great thing to concentrate on or even twinned invisibility if you don't like haste (or greater invis if you prefer). Whose great at following people? That's right, invisible bounty hunters.