PDA

View Full Version : Old Spice base class - The Gentleman

Thurbane
2018-02-08, 08:05 PM
So, Old Spice have created a d20 base class, and it's available online ! :smallbiggrin:

https://nerdist.com/dungeons-and-dragons-gentleman-class-old-spice/

https://t.co/sz1D2hMMm9

Cheers - T

Palanan
2018-02-08, 08:12 PM
"I'm on a horse."

o gawd, they did that.

KillingAScarab
2018-02-08, 09:16 PM
Yes, but, ermagerd what tier is it ??!?1

SoraWolf7
2018-02-09, 02:12 AM
The Wolfdog ability seems a tad broken, but perhaps that is why you need the Timber Old Spice. To turn back from being a wolfdog for the session.

tadkins
2018-02-09, 05:37 AM
Magnificent. Utterly magnificent. xD

Going to see about actually playing one one of these days.

Rolan
2018-02-09, 10:21 AM
Turning into a wizard at level 20 is a pretty good capstone.

GrayDeath
2018-02-09, 11:20 AM
THat is....I mean what the.....Eh ohmygod.....

Crashed.

Rebooting......rebooting....Old spice smell....

Rebooted. Still impressed and weirded out. :smallcool:

lylsyly
2018-02-09, 12:06 PM
I love it. The gestalt game I am in will be rebooting soon. Gentleman Rogue anyone? And when i get Marriage Proposal I am gonna find a Succubus. ROFLMAO!

Psyren
2018-02-09, 12:35 PM
Isn't it for 5e, and they couldn't actually say that because copyright?

Starbuck_II
2018-02-09, 12:41 PM
I need clarification.

I can't find Advertisement on the table. I know text beats table, but still unsure when to buy Timber.

Also I'm on a Horse: what doesn't provoke being "married" or what?

Woot, Bachelor's in marketing is awesome.

Wait, at 17th level, you level up your allies as a class feature? But you'll be a level behind now...

A_S
2018-02-09, 01:21 PM
It definitely seems like a PF class.

grarrrg
2018-02-09, 01:49 PM
Wait, at 17th level, you level up your allies as a class feature? But you'll be a level behind now...

Which is only proper for a proper gentleman. You should be proud of your allies accomplishments.

Goaty14
2018-02-09, 02:03 PM
It definitely seems like a PF class.

I second this. Acrobatics, Stealth (in the class skill list) and perception (mentioned in the tinted glasses) are not 3.5 class skills.

They also spelled "proposal" as "porposal" which makes me pretty :smallmad: Could you imagine a cohort of gentlemen? Just get them to level 17 and then drop them. Free Levels!

EDIT: It *could* be 5e because of the mention of the "reaction" but you could just substitute it for an immediate action.

Zaq
2018-02-09, 03:17 PM

It’s a weird mix of 5e elements and 3.5/PF elements (notice the “immediate action” at 5th level and the “reaction” at 6th), but it’s way closer to a 3.5/PF style class than a 5e one. Notice that it has BAB, skill points, F/R/W saves, no ASI levels, abilities that recharge per day rather than per rest, and only a moderate horror at the prospect of the PC actually doing something rather than the abject terror that the 5e devs feel at such a concept.

VisitingDaGulag
2018-02-13, 02:17 AM
It needs some minor technical adjustment to meet 3.5 standards, but I like it. It would be T5 (some of the abilities are penalties, many actively desynergize, many aren't useful to an adventurer) if it weren't for one broken ability: "he receives 15% more than the market value."

You've put your WBL back on course by avoiding that pesky -50% when selling (or doubled your WBL if your DM counts WBL after the selling rather than before). Note that this works with other's loot too, so your party will love you. Party with a wizard (or forcibly bring one into the party via class features even if your DM bans leadership) and you can stretch those crafting gains more than twice as far.

grarrrg
2018-02-13, 02:45 AM
"he receives 15% more than the market value."

You've put your WBL back on course by avoiding that pesky -50% when selling (or doubled your WBL if your DM counts WBL after the selling rather than before). Note that this works with other's loot too, so your party will love you. Party with a wizard (or forcibly bring one into the party via class features even if your DM bans leadership) and you can stretch those crafting gains more than twice as far.

Pretty sure "15% more" means "15% more than normal selling price".
Joke class or not, there's no way the intent was "15% more than what you originally paid". This is after all "Old Spice" the joke class, not "Get Rich Quick" the joke class.

Thurbane
2018-02-13, 04:25 AM
Paizo have released an "updated" version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HRehWwzfWSb0zXC7cjyu9FVC5zCL9Rq1/view

2018-02-13, 06:34 AM
I second this. Acrobatics, Stealth (in the class skill list) and perception (mentioned in the tinted glasses) are not 3.5 class skills.

They also spelled "proposal" as "porposal" which makes me pretty :smallmad: Could you imagine a cohort of gentlemen? Just get them to level 17 and then drop them. Free Levels!

EDIT: It *could* be 5e because of the mention of the "reaction" but you could just substitute it for an immediate action.

The person you were responding to was, themselves, responding to somebody thinking this might be a 5e class. Supporting PF in the "PF or 5e" argument by saying that it includes those skill accomplishes nothing because 5e has all those skills too. What's even more baffling about this is that there is such a multitude of ways this class absolutely screams "Pathfinder, not 5e!" - BAB, three saves instead of six, too many class skills, Int giving you more skill points, a code of conduct that can make you fall - that it's amazing you managed to find one of the only things about this class that could possibly be ambiguous between the two.

EDIT: Of course, PF was the one that needed an Old Spice Class, since 3.5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?175468-Ancient-Spice-3-5-Base-Class-Artifact-and-Unique-Monster) and 5e (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499340-Disciple-of-the-Old-Spice) were covered by homebrewers 7 and 1.5 years ago (respectively).

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-02-13, 08:11 PM
The Paizo update seems to have mostly updated the wording to PF standards. Might be fun to take this imbalanced joke class and make an actual class or archetype out of it as a community

Segev
2018-02-13, 08:51 PM
The Paizo update seems to have mostly updated the wording to PF standards. Might be fun to take this imbalanced joke class and make an actual class or archetype out of it as a community

Clearly, it is a Vigilante archetype. Because everything is a Vigilante archetype.

Goaty14
2018-02-13, 08:55 PM
Even when updated, still irks me that it has 5+int a level.

Mehangel
2018-02-13, 10:20 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/24hx9o.jpg

Obviously I am referring to the Shifter class found in Ultimate Wilderness (not the one found in Spheres of Power).

Thurbane
2018-02-14, 07:15 PM
Even when updated, still irks me that it has 5+int a level.

I must admit, that bothers me as well. I mean, there's no real reason you can't have an odd number of skill points per level, but it just feels...wrong.

Whether this was done deliberately to make the class mire quirky, or was an oversight, I'm not sure.

VisitingDaGulag
2018-02-15, 01:37 AM
Pretty sure "15% more" means "15% more than normal selling price".
Joke class or not, there's no way the intent was "15% more than what you originally paid". This is after all "Old Spice" the joke class, not "Get Rich Quick" the joke class.Stretching WBL by a little over x2 isn't getting rich. It's about the same boost a caster gets just for crafting rather than buying items. But since it stacks, the broken combos only happen when you bring casters into the mix.

The "Market value" in the text does not mean the "selling price" of 50% market value. Now, they probably meant to say something else. But what they said is not ambiguous. There is no confusion over the meaning of "market value" in 3e.

grarrrg
2018-02-15, 04:36 AM
Stretching WBL by a little over x2 isn't getting rich. It's about the same boost a caster gets just for crafting rather than buying items. But since it stacks, the broken combos only happen when you bring casters into the mix.

I buy a sword for 1000gp.
I sell sword for 1150gp.
I buy same sword for 1000gp.
I sell sword for 1150gp.
Yeah, totally not broken unless you get casters involved.

The "Market value" in the text does not mean the "selling price" of 50% market value. Now, they probably meant to say something else. But what they said is not ambiguous. There is no confusion over the meaning of "market value" in 3e.

But there is confusion on the part of whoever wrote the class. Considering the other myriad wording issues people have pointed out, it is quite likely that "market value" was not known as a game-defined term, and they just went with whatever they thought sounded fancy/appropriate.
Unless your DM is giving you infinite gold anyway, the ability needs fixing. The most likely intent was "15% more than normal selling price."

Xuldarinar
2018-02-18, 03:09 PM
Just putting it out there: I have made a VMC Gentleman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?551417-VMC-The-Gentleman).

Just for the amusement of it, I find this class fun and would love to see a Starfinder port. Then again, they are proficient with all lazer beam-based weapons already.

Edit:

A couple issues regarding the class become apparent quickly as you build a character.

Catchphrase: How often can it be used? What action does it take?
Punchline: Again, what kind of action? Also, Wisdom Saving throw? Ill defined term and we don't know the Save DC. I'm certain there is a default, but still.
Strong Convictions: ...These are 5e terms. We can decidedly go with if they critically fail any Intelligence or Wisdom based check/save, which is broad but works... I guess.
Something Dumb: ..What is an (sn) ability? Is it supposed to be Su?
Bachelor's in Marketing: As discussed earlier, what is market value? Price works here, but the wording bothers me.
I'd Take a Bullet for you, Man: Again, another (sn).Reaction also isn't a valid term. Swift action? Immediate action? I think the latter.
Pleasurable Smells: Health? I assume then Hp. Nose stuff.. I have no idea.
Wolfdog: So.. it is like wildshape, but you can talk, it is only one form, and you only can revert if you pass out by hitpoint loss. Okay then.
Matrimony: I don't get why a Fort save for this one, but otherwise it looks alright from that standpoint. Im not sure how it is an Extraordinary, Supernatural(?), Spell-Like effect, nor am I sure how that is adjudicated. And.. is it you can only use it once ever as in you can only propose once.. Or can you only get married once using this?

Also 19th level is functionally (at most tables anyways) a dead level.

Ex-Gentleman: He loses his skills too? Damn..