PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Synergy question for Arcane Archer

Dualswinger
2018-02-08, 08:11 PM
So. Piercing arrow. Attack hits all creatures in a line for 1d6 extra damage, dex save for half.

What if the creatures are surprised by a level 3+ assassin? Since all hits become crits, and even a successful saving creature still takes damage. Is the crit never occurring because of a lack of roll? Or is it applied but halved after damage calculation?

Question 2, say that a mc ranger had lightning arrow applied, would the lightning arrow prod off each target in the line? Would multiple creatures be caught in the “burst” effect if they were close enough?

Question 3, sort of a combo of the above. What if a ranger/assassin had lightning arrow ready and attacked a surprised opponent?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-08, 08:31 PM
So. Piercing arrow. Attack hits all creatures in a line for 1d6 extra damage, dex save for half.

What if the creatures are surprised by a level 3+ assassin? Since all hits become crits, and even a successful saving creature still takes damage. Is the crit never occurring because of a lack of roll? Or is it applied but halved after damage calculation?

Question 2, say that a mc ranger had lightning arrow applied, would the lightning arrow prod off each target in the line? Would multiple creatures be caught in the “burst” effect if they were close enough?

Question 3, sort of a combo of the above. What if a ranger/assassin had lightning arrow ready and attacked a surprised opponent?

1. Assassinate ability refers to a 'hit' which requires an attack roll, not a failed saving throw. so no it never occurs.

2. Lightning arrow also requires an attack roll. Sadly no synergy here (though there should be. )

3. refer to above answers.

Dualswinger
2018-02-08, 08:46 PM
See, I thought that, but there’s a line in Piercing Arrow that concerns me:

“...on a failed save, a creature takes damage
as if it were hit by the arrow, plus an extra 1d6 piercing
damage.“

So, treating each “failing” creature as if it were hit by the arrow, would that not count as being hit by the attack? Since the Assassins ability states:

“In addition, any hit you score against
a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.”

Kane0
2018-02-09, 01:48 AM
Well it says hit in the text so i’d say so.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-09, 07:06 AM
See, I thought that, but there’s a line in Piercing Arrow that concerns me:

“...on a failed save, a creature takes damage
as if it were hit by the arrow, plus an extra 1d6 piercing
damage.“

So, treating each “failing” creature as if it were hit by the arrow, would that not count as being hit by the attack? Since the Assassins ability states:

“In addition, any hit you score against
a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.”

Only takes damage as if hit. Not the same as a hit.

RAW this doesn’t work, but in my own game I’d be inclined to let lightning arrow work, if only to encourage rangers and Arcane Archers as well as it really should.

Lightning arrow and ASsassinate work, tho only for initial target.