PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hold person - Can you hit and run?

Estoma
2018-02-09, 08:08 AM
What I'm wondering if if it's possible to hit someone with a spell like 'hold person' then bolt and get a minute's head start.

The description lists the range as 60 feet and says:

"Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target."

The DM and I were unsure if the wizard should have had to stay within 60 feet, or line of sight, to keep his target under the spell, or if he could just run away.

Other spells, such as 'dominate person' stipulate that you and the target only need to be on the same plane of existence, but there's nothing in the description for 'hold person' about that

Thoughts?

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-09, 08:09 AM
Yup, you can.

LeonBH
2018-02-09, 08:11 AM
You don't have to stay within range of the target at all times once the spell connects, except if the spell says so. For example, Witch Bolt breaks if you break line of sight or go further away than 60ft.

Hold Person doesn't have any of those restrictions.

Joe the Rat
2018-02-09, 08:14 AM
Consider - Invisibility and Flight are touch-range spells. You do not need to remain in contact with the recipient for the spells to work. Same principle, different casting range.

Estoma
2018-02-09, 08:16 AM
Well, that was easy. Thanks for the clarification, guys :)

I guess I owe my DM a bottle of wine...ooops! :smallredface:

Joe the Rat
2018-02-09, 08:17 AM
Generally a DM with a bottle of wine is a win-win.

Estoma
2018-02-09, 08:20 AM
Generally a DM with a bottle of wine is a win-win.

Until maths gets too hard, hehe!

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-09, 08:24 AM
Consider - Invisibility and Flight are touch-range spells. You do not need to remain in contact with the recipient for the spells to work. Same principle, different casting range.

Oh man, that would be hilarious.

"I make you invisible!...But I have to follow along with you and make sure that I don't break contact with you or they'll see you."
"Ummm...won't they just see YOU?"

Estoma
2018-02-09, 08:33 AM
Oh man, that would be hilarious.

"I make you invisible!...But I have to follow along with you and make sure that I don't break contact with you or they'll see you."
"Ummm...won't they just see YOU?"

Haha, now I'm imagining buffing someone...but you have to hold hands while you do that ability check.

Laserlight
2018-02-09, 08:50 AM
Haha, now I'm imagining buffing someone...but you have to hold hands while you do that ability check.

Fighter: "Let me give you a hug!"
Thief: "Actually, I'm trying to walk across a slick balance beam, and it's a delicate WHOA! BACK OFF YOU IDIOT!"
Cleric: "You know, Thief, it does actually look like he's steadying you."
Fighter: "I'm helping!"
Wizard: "If Fighter just puts his feet on the balance beam and Thief drags him along, he'll provide a stabilizing force, although it is then necessary to compare Thief's strength, Fighter's weight, and the coefficient of friction for the beam. I'll conjure Minor Illusion of a chalkboard showing a diagram of the relationship of forces, thus."
Fighter: "BY THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!"

LeonBH
2018-02-09, 09:40 AM
Fighter: "Let me give you a hug!"
Thief: "Actually, I'm trying to walk across a slick balance beam, and it's a delicate WHOA! BACK OFF YOU IDIOT!"
Cleric: "You know, Thief, it does actually look like he's steadying you."
Fighter: "I'm helping!"
Wizard: "If Fighter just puts his feet on the balance beam and Thief drags him along, he'll provide a stabilizing force, although it is then necessary to compare Thief's strength, Fighter's weight, and the coefficient of friction for the beam. I'll conjure Minor Illusion of a chalkboard showing a diagram of the relationship of forces, thus."
Fighter: "BY THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!"

And then the Thief and Fighter fall. :smallbiggrin:

Mith
2018-02-09, 01:23 PM
And then the Thief and Fighter fall. :smallbiggrin:

This is the perfect time to switch the Fighter with the Paladin.