PDA

View Full Version : is the old spice class and good

Amdy_vill
2018-02-09, 08:14 AM
so the new old spice class is it any good. do you guys see any way to use it to optimized other build.

Alabenson
2018-02-09, 10:04 AM
Alright, I'm going to ask the obvious question, what in Pelor's name is the "old spice class"? Is this homebrew, something from Pathfinder, or what?

Autocon
2018-02-09, 10:09 AM
Alright, I'm going to ask the obvious question, what in Pelor's name is the "old spice class"? Is this homebrew, something from Pathfinder, or what?

A hilarious new homebrew class released by the Old Spice deodorant company. See http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?550552-Old-Spice-base-class-The-Gentleman

Mike Miller
2018-02-09, 10:28 AM
I only glanced at it earlier but isn't it for 5e?

Florian
2018-02-09, 10:36 AM
I´m a bit envious, I've gotta admit. Worked quite some time in some major advertisement agencies and I advocated aiming for the major geed/nerd gamer demographics at the respective heights of 3E and WoW hard and persistently, but got ignored. It´s good to see that someone had the balls to pull thru with it, just a little bit late.

Scots Dragon
2018-02-09, 10:42 AM
I only glanced at it earlier but isn't it for 5e?

It seems to be for Pathfinder, and uses the same visual design as Pathfinder's own sourcebooks.

Goaty14
2018-02-09, 04:10 PM
It doesn't look that good at all in my eyes, but then I don't play PF... It looks like a support character methinks.

Ooh! I'm going to compare it to the 3.5 monk -- It gets class abilities every level, which aren't that good, and a capstone that you reasonably want to avoid.

The fancy clothes technically remove bonuses to AC, because "his armor class is 10 + his Dexterity modifier + his Charisma modifier." note that it doesn't mention dodge bonuses, deflection, etc.

Catchphrase is a ok support ability, but it doesn't say what kind of action it is -- talking is a free action

Punchline is bad. Limited uses, will save negate, and 1d4/four levels isn't good.

Strong Convictions/Something dumb has no mechanical effect.

After You is dependent on who in the party is an opposite sex than you.

I'm on a Horse: 1/day, doesn't scale, free movement I guess.

Bachelors in Marketing: Mercantile Background lite? Still helps if your party is selling loot a bunch. However, depending on where the extra money comes from, you might be able to break infinite money from selling items to other PCs...

I'd Take a Bullet for You, Man: Go in the line of fire between an ally and an attack anywhere in sight, as a reaction, take 1/2 damage. At lvl 15, take no damage.

Pleasurable Smells: Heal an ally 1d6 hp a number of times equal to Level+1. Not good.

Biceps: +5 on charisma checks when your muscles are showing. Not clear on if wearing your fancy clothes means your biceps are visible.

Wolfdog: (almost) permanently wild-shape into a wolf. I personally don't see any sort of *good* benefit to this, considering that you lose your fancy clothes.

Wardrobe Change: Either have a +5 Con Modifier or +5 Wis modifier, depending on which one you wear. Both count as fancy clothes.

Matrimony: Propose marriage to a humanoid of equal or lesser CR than you, and then you need to succeed on a DC 20 fort saving throw. Success means that they are now married to you for life! There is no failure because of all of the modifiers you have (by this time, you have a +9 base, and a bunch of modifiers to help you succeed). Mechanically, free humanoid ally of your choosing, but can only be chosen once, and if they die, lose 5 levels for the "session".

New Haircut: Level up everybody else in the party! I guess if you got a NPC to be a gentleman for so long this would be great, but this ability doesn't actually benefit you -- at all.

MBA: You can solve "complex organizational problems" whatever that is. I guess if your party ends up in control of an organization, you could tell the DM "I use my MBA!" and not have to deal with it, but no "real" benefit.

Being of Pure Energy: Max-Level munchkinry. Lose all stats (thus becoming unkillable) and make anything explode at-will. Keep in mind that this is a joke class.

I personally think that the class is pretty bad, except it jumps like the truenamer when it hits level 20.

Segev
2018-02-09, 04:41 PM
Mechanically, free humanoid ally of your choosing.

Double check me on this, but I don't think it says the target has to be humanoid.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-09, 05:58 PM
Double check me on this, but I don't think it says the target has to be humanoid.
It works on monsters too, I think. And the save is on your part; at the level you get it, making sure you can pass a DC 20 Fort save is a piece of cake.

It's a vaguely amusing class, but a lot of abilities are poorly written. There's some potential for a neat support class, but not without a heavy editing pass. You can find much better homebrew on these very boards.

Afgncaap5
2018-02-09, 07:36 PM
This class, like the Eldritch Knight or Dwarven Defender or Arcane Archer, is really good for DMs to use for an NPC who's supposed to provide an unusual and notable challenge. I wouldn't recommend it for a player. Having said that, at the right table and with the right group of players, it could work.

I will say that the class has Narrative power. Shame it has to do it by being blunt about it, but narrative power is one of the reasons that I prefer playing d20 Adventure! or Cosmic Patrol to 3.5 or Pathfinder these days.

The Viscount
2018-02-09, 09:20 PM

It does, though it does specify the target has to be a monster. If PF rules are as similar to 3.5 as I think, this means you can't use it on humans because they have no monster entry.

As for the rest of the class:
To start, they should probably fix the skill points to 4 or 6. I know there's no real rule saying that a class can't have 5, but it should align with the general trends.

The code is a mechanical restriction without as strong a roleplay linkage as say Paladin or Knight's code. There's no behavior to abide by besides not attacking a member of the opposite sex first. Whether it comes up will depend on DM discretion, and it will result in the player asking at the start of every encounter what the sex of all the enemies are (note that this applies to all enemies, including animals and low-int magical beasts). If it is meant to purely be a matter of chivalry it should probably be revised. Removing all skills is more punitive than other codes of honor, and probably isn't a good idea. Negating class features also means losing weapon proficiencies, so you're going to have a very bad time. Restoration is easy but takes a full day and based on party composition may result in the player having to trudge through the forest/cave/dungeon until they reach civilization, which is troubling. Note that this specifies humanoid so you can't get around it with a bag of tricks. I suppose you could just get an NPC to follow you around in such a case, but then you have to protect them, which is a headache, or store them in a pocket dimension, which seems counter to the type of character this is supposed to be. In a campaign where the player does butt up against the code, they will likely be delaying their initiative a fair amount, and that isn't fun. Also, for the purpose of this class feature does the player have to be personally attacked, or does any of the party work? If the former, there's a whole heap more problems. There are races like warforged that do not have sexes. This presents a problem. Does a changeling or similar who enters this class essentially get to ignore the code as long as they shift appropriately?

Catchphrase needs a specified action, and should specify whether it's at will or not. If it is as it seems at will and free action, then it is very strong. +5d6 to a skill check or attack roll is pretty potent, and adding that much to a save will make a failure into a success with high frequency.

Punchline is very weak and scales poorly. It also needs a DC, likely one based on Cha. It should also be changed to will save since wisdom saving throw is a 5e thing. An action type again is missing

Strong convictions doesn't work since critical failures and successes on skill checks don't exist. If it did, wisdom and intelligence checks are very rare besides shapesand and untrained knowledge checks. The player would likely avoid making these since if they fail they are stuck with an untrue belief forever, and if they succeed they have an awkward interaction with the DM.

Something dumb will do nothing but engender spite among the DM and/or party. Or maybe some laughs if you choose wisely and have a receptive group

After you has the advantage of maybe helping a player not violate the code of conduct, but carries the same problems with race and party composition. Also if an element of the class is so bothersome that you get a special feature to make it hurt less, it indicates the initial feature should be rewritten. It's of mild help to the party in some situations.

I'm on a horse is a tactical teleport, which is good. It can potentially move two creatures, which is also good. The small scale is weird, if they wanted it to scale they should likely do it more than once. The face that it is once per day is bad.

Bachelor's in Marketing is a simple buff, and it means that the player will be handling all sales of loot items for the party. Do people actually sell to other PCs?

I'd take a bullet for you man uses "reaction" which is a 5e term. The effect is not particularly good initially. For reference shield other and share pain are 2nds. Knight's shield ally also kicks in at level 6, and while it only works on an adjacent ally, it also can be used every round. The level 15 version, negating any attack at the cost of being teleported there, is a pretty good effect, but you're going to run out of its single use pretty early in the day

Pleasurable smells at least has more uses, but the fact that it has to be used as a single d6 per use makes it time consuming, which means little use in combat or similar situations where time matters. Out of combat it's pretty good, about on par with a Paladin's Lay on Hands except unable to use in one go. Also you don't appear to be able to use it on yourself, which is a downgrade. Again, they didn't list an action for this.

Biceps does not make clear whether it functions in the standard uniform. Once you gain variant uniform you will switch to that and this will be an always-on buff. The strength of that buff depends on whether you read "all charisma checks" as "all charisma based skill checks", which would be quite nice, especially since you have most of the Cha skills. If you read it strictly as charisma checks, then it'll come up with conflicting mental control and turning, neither of which are granted by the class, so it's useless unless there are other Cha checks I'm missing.

Wolfdog is not a very good feature. Turning into a wolf is situational at best, and will be worse in combat than fighting two handed with full BA. It needs rules explaining what you keep and what you don't, like with wildshape. Not being able to change back until getting hurt is a horrible effect.

Wardrobe Change's options as written change your modifiers to +5, they do not add to your score or modifier. As written this also means the actual score doesn't change, so you don't qualify for things and are just as vulnerable to ability damage. You have no reason to care about wisdom in most cases, so you'll default to the speedo.

Matrimony has multiple tags, which isn't how class features work. It should probably be Ex. If it's Su or Sp, then what happens in an AMF? Does the spouse wink out of existence or do they revert to whatever alignment they had beforehand. Note that the modifiers present are the only applicable ones (besides some general penalty on fort saves or all saves) so a player at level 15 with the first three items autosucceeds assuming a Con of 10. This means a player could instantly turn a humanoid big bad of a campaign into an ally, which would be disastrous in certain campaigns.

New Haircut puts all the party members one level above you so you have to catch up the next few sessions. It certainly helps the party, but not you.

The capstone removes you from actual play, which is not fun. Being able to make things explode is rather a poor substitute for playing the game, and it gives no guidance as to what kind of effect this should actually have, whether it's instant death for creatures or whether it's just some damage. Either way it's a very disruptive ability.

Overall the class is not very good. One or two features is quite strong, but most are problematic, weak, or both. Too many features are too altruistic, helping out others but with no ability to help yourself. Among this all remains the question of what you're supposed to actually do. Most your turns will be spent using catchphrase (if it's free) and then full attacking, like a worse fighter. Only two of your features use Charisma, and you'll need to invest in Str and Con to be the brute you will be for most combats. Your skill list is fine but lacks cohesion or focus. You can be a reasonable face, but other than that your options are limited.

Zaq
2018-02-09, 10:13 PM
I agree with The Viscount's analysis.

The class suffers from a common homebrew problem (and, I suppose, a problem that crops up in the worse non-homebrew classes) that it doesn't actually give you anything to do. It gives a bunch of small flavorful abilities but forgets that these abilities are supposed to be the equivalent of, at a minimum, Sneak Attack or a DFA's breath weapon or Bardic Music (+ spells) or, hell, spells. It's actually kind of Thunder Guide-esque—the abilities it offers would usually be moderately interesting as free cookies a GM might pass out for good roleplay or cool in-character achievements, but they're nowhere near the equivalent of what one should get for actually sinking levels into something. At least the Truenamer learns new utterances every level.

Okay, okay, I get that the class is supposed to be a clever marketing ploy rather than a class that's presented as being balanced or usable (and me spending time and effort and pixels posting about it means that the virality is at least slightly working), but it's actually kind of impressive that they both did enough research to make something that looks like a 3.5/PF class (minus all the janky 5e elements that snuck in—at least one of the people working on this played 5e as their primary and/or original edition) and didn't do enough research to figure that out. Like, if this were a 5e class or otherwise aimed at a "current" game (yeah, PF's current, but 3.5 isn't), that level of slapdashery would make sense, but someone on the marketing team is sufficiently familiar with this particular subculture to successfully lobby for a budget to make this thing. Someone with only a glancing familiarity wouldn't go for PF. They'd go for 5e. And yet that person doesn't know enough to actually make something where people laugh and then say "huh, you know what, I actually could use this thing." So that's actually kind of impressive to me.